WEEK ONE - Oak Ridge vs South Doyle

CardinalGrey

9 hours ago, dkota44 said:

I think Oak Ridge will be ok. SD didn't look very good other than 21, who obviously ran very well. But like dawgs said, play calling was pretty poor, and 14 was staring down receivers on every pass. What will the Wildcat offense be able to do though...?

It will be interesting to find out

6 hours ago, catswild said:

I don't think the defense was underrated...Gaddis talked the defense all the time as well as Packer and anyone who watched OR play. The defense may not be quite as good this year but I bet they will be good. The offense will show up I hope. Not sure why OR always starts so slow but if they do Thursday night, it could get ugly.

I guess I mean to all the people who expect Oak Ridge to be really good again this yr because of what we return.All I hear is how we have all these weapons back but they fail to see all we lost on defense.Even Gaddis in the paper talking about the turning point of last yr was KJ being healthy during back half of yr.But when you look at it the defense got so much better after Farragut ran up and down field all night.This yr we have 2 great LBs and a lot of guys who have to figure it out fast.Good news is we have Minor and he seems to be the best Ast coach we have had.As far as offense goes we have the skill guys if we can block and the QB learns fast.I hope he is fast because he looks small and we need him to hold up

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

BC just saying that because he's a Vestalite.

That's them South Young roughy'ouns..............I was a Pioneer. :lol: Corn feed country boys like Heritage.

When they combined those two schools..........it was like putting two cats in a tube facing each other. :evil:

Ran up the road to Alcoa in time to watch the `89 Alcoa team beat up on murvul....been a Tornado Fan ever since!:thumb:

On 8/15/2021 at 8:30 AM, HTV said:

Not just saying this because he is a good friend, but South Doyle losing its DC is going to have a big impact across the river, IMO.  Their offense has been very good over the past few years, but a good DC can be the difference in being very good and being great.  

Truthfully, Whinery and the SD defense is what has made that program so successful in recent years. It is what kept them in the semi-final game last year and the offensive play calling is what lost them the game. For the past 6-7 years SD has been blessed with phenomenal RBs. Even when Brang was at QB and now Martin, they lean heavily on the run game and it has costed them at times. In order for SD to be as successful as they want this year they need to find the right defensive play caller and allow for Martin to shine a little bit more. Not to mention SD has used the same system and same play calls for the past 5 years. People know what they're doing and putting everything in a RB is going to cost them at the end. Young couldn't do it all and neither can Gary, trust your other weapons. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, middletn said:

Truthfully, Whinery and the SD defense is what has made that program so successful in recent years. It is what kept them in the semi-final game last year and the offensive play calling is what lost them the game. For the past 6-7 years SD has been blessed with phenomenal RBs. Even when Brang was at QB and now Martin, they lean heavily on the run game and it has costed them at times. In order for SD to be as successful as they want this year they need to find the right defensive play caller and allow for Martin to shine a little bit more. Not to mention SD has used the same system and same play calls for the past 5 years. People know what they're doing and putting everything in a RB is going to cost them at the end. Young couldn't do it all and neither can Gary, trust your other weapons. 

Amen! Amen! Amen!