Bearden @ Farragut

edwardblake

3 hours ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Bearden QB played pretty dang well for a “jv qb”. Hate to see a game end like that. Was hoping to see a team earn the win in overtime and not have the refs decide the outcome. Anyone find out what the deal was with that penalty? 

Didn’t mean any disrespect. I just knew from when we had played early in the year he was a freshman signal calling for a 6A school. A lot to ask of a 14 year old. Heard from some of my wife’s Farragut friends that he played really well. 

27 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

Didn’t mean any disrespect. I just knew from when we had played early in the year he was a freshman signal calling for a 6A school. A lot to ask of a 14 year old. Heard from some of my wife’s Farragut friends that he played really well. 

I thought Bearden’s QB was pretty darn good. So many said Bearden struggled offensively but I though their pass game was decent. 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bluegreymom said:

Not 100 percent sure. The radio announcer said he thought it was because someone on the Bearden line called out something that simulated the snap which we have seen recently be highlighted in college but then commented that this is usually a delay of game called on the defense rather than unsportsmanlike. Someone else said they thought it had to do with something someone said or did towards the center. So…not sure 

Apparently the referees said that a Bearden player threw/swiped their hand on the turf causing the rubber pellets to fly towards the Farragut long-snapper.  I have been on those turf fields, and I do not think that would even be possible. I think that is one of the worst calls I have seen in my fifty years of watching sports.  

3 hours ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Apparently the referees said that a Bearden player threw/swiped their hand on the turf causing the rubber pellets to fly towards the Farragut long-snapper.  I have been on those turf fields, and I do not think that would even be possible. I think that is one of the worst calls I have seen in my fifty years of watching sports.  

that for real?   that woul be a crazy penalty if so.

4 hours ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

I've seen guys try to time the snap and swipe at the ball, but that's at worst a 5-yard offsides penalty. Even when a defensive player tries to simulate a snap count, that's typically a 5-yard offsides or delay of game penalty. If that explanation is true, that seems like a pretty horrendous call.

6 hours ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

I asked my son if he knew anything (he plays for Farragut) and he said that the center/LS had complained multiple times about Bearden’s defense throwing/tossing/swiping the little “turf turds” in his face, presumably hoping to get it in his eyes. He complained to the refs who told him that they can’t call it unless they see it but that they would look out for it going forward. It continued and finally on that last play at the end, the ref saw it with his own eyes and called it as an unsportsmanlike. 
Bear in mind that this is info coming to me third party so take with a grain of salt and in a rivalry like Bearden:Farragut, I’m sure both sides have their own take on it. I know that many at Farragut were upset with what they considered dirty play from Bearden’s defense all night especially towards #15 for Farragut. I’m equally sure that if you ask the Bearden folks they would also have their own list of complaints and things they didn’t feel were fair. It’s a big rivalry and the stakes are rarely higher than they were that night. 
I feel like if Bearden got called for something  they legit didn’t do, that’s a tough pill to swallow  and I’d be upset too. On the other hand, if someone on their end was attempting to swipe turf bits in the LS face and got called for it, oh well, don’t do the crime of you can’t afford the penalty.  

For what it’s worth, I know Farragut’s LS to be a really respectful and awesome kid and I don’t think he would make things up. On the other hand, the kid for Bearden who I’ve heard the penalty was called on is extended family to me and I also know him to be a really awesome kiddo and can’t really see him doing that either so…I don’t know…

On 10/29/2021 at 12:25 PM, thefox said:

In 1860 one in four people living in Knoxville were someone's property. Union friendly is a relative term in the gutbucket South. How bout your boys losing to the Irishman?:roflol:When you gone get a real ball coach and not a circus entertainer? 

I like history. Can you quote your source on this one? I'd like to read more. Here are some stats from Blount County.

blount-county-veterans-memorial1.jpg

Edited by Red Rebels

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

I like history. Can you quote your source on this one? I'd like to read more. Here are some stats from Blount County.

blount-county-veterans-memorial1.jpg

By 1860, slaves comprised 22% of Knoxville's population, which was higher than the percentage across East Tennessee (approximately 10%) but lower than the rest of the South (about one-third).

C. E. Allred, et al., "Farming From the Beginning to 1860," The French Broad-Holston Country: A History of Knox County, Tennessee (Knoxville, Tenn.: East Tennessee Historical Society, 1972).

P.S. your antebellum era historical interpretation could be taken more seriously if your handle wasn’t  “red rebel”.