Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

On 3/13/2022 at 11:34 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

I agree with you on that. But it's almost a crap shot either way. You don't really know how somebody will do until their in the job. And if you hire someone proven you don't really know if they will fit in your system or get along with everybody on the staff. It's just frustrating to watch their approach to preparing players in the lower grades and little leagues. Which is basically no approach at all. DB hasn't been very good on defense since we lost coach Watson. It seems most people are pushing for Teddy Gains to take the defense coordinator job. I don't have anything against Gains but I don't see anything from his past that would say he'd make a good defensive coordinator. He's coached the safeties for two or three years (I've lost count) and there has been no improvement there. In fact the safeties have went from very bad to much worse. DB's pass defense basically is getting a lot of pressure on the QB and forcing him to make bad passes. Any time they go up against a team with a good offensive line, their toast. 

I was just talking about coach Watson today and how much I liked him as a coach and a person.I remember someone had the great idea of putting my fullback sized Indian at center one year.Coach Watson came over to me at practice and said,I found a spot on defense for your boy.Coach was right and I just hate he couldn't have been there a few years later to do the same for my bigger Indian. One of those coaches and people that the world could use a lot more of... 

On 3/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

Wasn't Norris already retired before going to W.R.? I think you can retire in Tennessee and go to work in Va. without giving up full retirement money from Tennessee. But I may have just dreamed that.

Norris stepped down as head coach at North but still worked in the school system then went back into coaching again with the OC position at West Ridge it’s first year.  I know about at least one other TN high school coach that plans to retire in TN soon then go coach in Southwest VA to basically get 2 retirement pensions but I hadn’t heard Robby’s name mentioned there.  Not surprised though because his brand of football would probably work well in that league.

This is a football thread but let's take a moment and congratulate the DB basketball team on their first state title since 1945.     I have no idea if there is much crossover to football but is it possible for that basketball mentality and hunger for a championship to flow onto the gridiron this fall?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blazer1set said:

This is a football thread but let's take a moment and congratulate the DB basketball team on their first state title since 1945.     I have no idea if there is much crossover to football but is it possible for that basketball mentality and hunger for a championship to flow onto the gridiron this fall?

Gotta beat Maryville first.  Out of all the District 1 teams that have had their shot at them over the last few seasons, we've definitely performed the best against them.  If they were to meet in the playoffs this year, I believe the game would be there, unless someone beats them for their district which I don't see happening.  Hard to beat the Rebels on their turf.

2 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

Gotta beat Maryville first.  Out of all the District 1 teams that have had their shot at them over the last few seasons, we've definitely performed the best against them.  If they were to meet in the playoffs this year, I believe the game would be there, unless someone beats them for their district which I don't see happening.  Hard to beat the Rebels on their turf.

Before we think about Maryville let’s worry about winning the conference. To me it gives us the best chance not having to worry about them until the quarterfinals, get some momentum through the first to rounds and then have an opportunity to make a run. 2 years ago we took it to the wire with them, hopefully we can get back to that point and push past that mountain. But we always talk about the Might Rebels but we all know semis go through Oakland right now and their momentum is at an all time high. Region 1 has such a tough road to the finals

• Like 1

I'm glad the Indians won it in basketball and I could shoot a text to my sons telling them that both our schools won state on the same day.Can the Tribe do it in football as well at some point ? Sure, but as most of us know,it takes a lot of  things to go right, just as it did for DB and Greeneville in basketball this year. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:17 AM, DBKPT93 said:

Before we think about Maryville let’s worry about winning the conference. To me it gives us the best chance not having to worry about them until the quarterfinals, get some momentum through the first to rounds and then have an opportunity to make a run. 2 years ago we took it to the wire with them, hopefully we can get back to that point and push past that mountain. But we always talk about the Might Rebels but we all know semis go through Oakland right now and their momentum is at an all time high. Region 1 has such a tough road to the finals

Oakland isn't gonna be the juggernaut you've seen the last few years. Still expect them to go deep, but graduate a ton of contributors on offense