Fast Times at William Blount High

BarneySox2007

Can somebody explain to me why William Blount High School gets so much attention on this site? I've never read through any of the WB threads, so forgive my ignorance. But for a program that has never been very successful, I'm continually amazed by how much discussion it gets. 

I would go so far as to say the only programs that get more action on the 5A/6A boards are Maryville and Oak Ridge. And I'm not asking in a snarky way, I am genuinely curious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacer said:

Can somebody explain to me why William Blount High School gets so much attention on this site? I've never read through any of the WB threads, so forgive my ignorance. But for a program that has never been very successful, I'm continually amazed by how much discussion it gets. 

I would go so far as to say the only programs that get more action on the 5A/6A boards are Maryville and Oak Ridge. And I'm not asking in a snarky way, I am genuinely curious. 

WB resides in a community that takes football kinda serious relatively speaking. Alco and murvil are in the same county as WB and Hairtage. Some kids leave WB for football reasons and maybe join WB for basketball reasons. We are fairly close.

IMO the ribbing is an attempt to “move” the WB admin towards making more of a commitment to football. It’s not like the kids living a few miles away are so much better. Most Blount county football fans would like to see all 4 county teams be successful. We are a bunch football fanatics. The ribbings don’t seem to be working. 

• Upvote 3

It would take a miracle man to come in and straighten out the mess this program is in which really started after the 2007 season. WB made great efforts updating facilities but won't give an inch on bringing in someone qualified to rebuild this mess from ground up. They had one of the best youth teams as a feeder system which disbanded and a pretty good middle school team which got into the wrong hands and crashed last year. To add insult to injury they moved into a much weaker division last year and dropped Maryville off the schedule and went 1-9. They all know the problem there and no one will do anything about it. Nobody from Alcoa or Maryville wishes this on their neighbor. It would take someone with a lot of energy to go around so many of these elementary schools which feed into this to encourage kids to come out for youth league football and to get the public involved. There are enough schools that feed into this to have 3 teams but now there aren't any. The outcome from this will only get worse I'm afraid.  I personally see both the Heritage and William Blount programs eventually disbanding because neither could win a game going three classes down. It's like watching Nero Fiddle while Rome Burns.

Edited by BarneySox2007
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 12/21/2021 at 8:39 PM, MSURacer said:

On 12/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, strongx said:

WB resides in a community that takes football kinda serious relatively speaking. Alco and murvil are in the same county as WB and Hairtage. Some kids leave WB for football reasons and maybe join WB for basketball reasons. We are fairly close.

IMO the ribbing is an attempt to “move” the WB admin towards making more of a commitment to football. It’s not like the kids living a few miles away are so much better. Most Blount county football fans would like to see all 4 county teams be successful. We are a bunch football fanatics. The ribbings don’t seem to be working. 

Seeing Shad pacing the sidelines is the equivalent of seeing the Grim Reaper pacing the hallways in the maternity ward. Doom and despair permeate the otherwise peaceful setting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

How does Coach Shad go from being able to win a state championship in the highest division at Smyrna to having a horrible team at William Blount?  Did he forget how to coach, are all of the good football players zoned for WB being recruited to attend other schools or is the administration atrocious and refuses to support the football program.