Is the transfer portal hurting high school recruits?

logcabinman

On 4/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, gecko said:

It just keeps bumping kids out down the line. The Power 5 three star goes to group of 5; the group of 5 goes down to FCS; the FCS goes down to Div 2; Until the kids that would have got in that JUCO or NAIA school just doesn't play. It will make college more competitive for sure but it does eventually hurt high school players. 

True, but I do believe if a player plays well at a G5 school, then he could transfer to a P5 school. If a player plays well at a FCS school, then he could transfer to a G5 school.

On 4/10/2022 at 7:29 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

True, but I do believe if a player plays well at a G5 school, then he could transfer to a P5 school. If a player plays well at a FCS school, then he could transfer to a G5 school.

I just feel sorry for those 2 star type of kids.  To me its just going to be a never ending carasel until the NCAA cleans this up.

As a former D1 athlete I do not see the transfer portal hurting high school athletics.  What I see is that we now live in a microwave society and the kids want to play immediately.  Long gone are the days where major D1 programs signed kids and those same kids would redshirt and then be patient and only play special teams as a sophomore, maybe play a little and then get to play 75% of the snaps as a senior.  Today neither the kids or their parents are patient enough to sit, watch and practice for a few years before playing.  If I were a 2 or 3 star kid I would work to have the best grades possible and then go and play for a program like Rhodes or Sewanee.  The player would learn to be a true student athlete and would graduate with an academic degree that sets them up for being a successful individual.  

Edited by cbg

Since college football has changed over to the Wild Wild West it may be very interesting how all this plays out. If schools are now going to be focusing on quick rebuilds with the transfer portal to me it looks as if some weaker schools could be totally wiped out of players. If Tennessee signs 16 players a year and brings in another 8 to 10 from the portal then eventually your roster evaporates. If you signed 16 four years in a row then by year four a certain percentage of 64 players from that signing would have left through the portal, a career ending injury or any other reasons not with the program any longer which I would bet on 50 % of that 64 is there in four years from now. That leaves you with 32 players you brought in and 36 you got through the portal equaling 78 which is below the 85 limit. This is just an example using funny math but some people in here understand what I'm talking about. I guess that is my concern but I'll just pull up a chair and watch this thing play out. I thing the NIL Money will create so many jealousy issues among players you'll see players coming and going everywhere. The winner of all of this mess will be who has the money while the other 95% of schools will have to set and watch.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, toinemac said:

What hurt high school recruiting more than anything was giving everyone an extra year of eligibility in 2020 and not increasing the number of scholarships a team could give in a year.

Simple math. Extending to Seniors the added year of eligibility without adding additional scholarships for incoming Freshmen & JuCo players was short sighted. Why not leave Scholly's the same, and "allow" however many Seniors that wish to stay in your program an automatic on top of the usual allotment? Too simple I guess.

I think it hurts in football and basketball and being able to attest to this having a buddy being a mid major basketball coach he doesn't know if he would ever recruit a high school kid again unless they attend the prep schools, via transfer portal, or juco. Your hometown kid who is a star unless hes one of them freaks then they wont be getting that look now days. Now basketball is a different alley than football due to less spots on the roster. I think football is still on a similar track but these kids who play for their hometowns and are studs the trend will be for them to go to a mid level school have a heck of a year or two and then enter the portal and the power 5 schools and take them. Take the Jordan Addison kid for example had one heck of season at PItt had no big offers from power 5 schools besides them and now is the hottest name out there.  

The Transfer portal isn't what's hurting high-school recruits.  The covid free year is the problem.  It's like adding an entire year of experienced players.  Who wouldn't take them over high school players.  The NCAA screwed the HS players when they have that free year.  The transfer portal allows kids to move, but it would come out in the wash if it weren't for the four classes with an extra year of eligibility.  What a terrible move by the NCAA.

• Like 1