Enrollment Numbers

On 8/12/2022 at 4:06 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

I went back to the Region Semifinal games in the Basketball postseason.  For Girls, there were 60 game played. Of the 60 games, 25 of them finished with an outcome of 15+. There were also 7 team that finished with 30 or less than in team points. In the sectional (or Substate) games, we had a point differential of: 42, 20, 35, 40, 23, 36, 33, 29, 28, 20, and 24. Point being, in the month of March, there really shouldn't be a game decided by 20 points or more. Yet, there were 5 games decided by 30 points. Has that happened in the past, I'm sure. However, I've noticed it more this year. Largely because the TSSAA was afraid this was coming, and it did. I'll even pick on North Side boys basketball. They benefited from the TSSAA going to four classifications. They beat Portland in Sub State to reach Murfreesboro. I knew the whole time there have been better North Side teams that didn't make it to state. This team, which to me was just an average team, made it! Congratulations to them, but they lost by 34 in Murfreesboro. Bad draw? Yes. But still, no team should lose by 34 on the highest state of the season.

The TSSAA has made it clear they would want to reduce the amount of teams that have made it to state. Personally, going back to three classifications would be more beneficial than going to four and have a fewer amount of teams going to state depending on school enrollment numbers. Either way, there would be 24 teams going to state in this proposal, or going back to three classifications.

It sucked for the baseball state tournament because Riverside was trialing a game 1-0 in the 6th inning. There was a rain delay, and the game was called. Riverside lost the game. So, imagine Peabody playing in a football game in November, down by 7 points with 8:00 minutes to go, and end up losing because of lighting? Not fair, right? I don't know if field availability due to four classifications was a reason why Riverside had to accept the loss. However, the Spring Fling usually runs from Tuesday-Friday. Unfortunately, they had to go to Sunday because of rain.

I do believe going to 4 team districts (some 5 teams) as devalued the regular season, especially in basketball. To me, the games in the regular season doesn't matter anymore. 

Overall, the TSSAA heard a few AD's saying they want to go to 4 classifications, and they gave them what they wanted. I don't believe they put too much thought into this, and what the pros and cons were. They just did it. That's the best way I can put it. But back to what I said earlier in my second paragraph, they have made it clear they want to reduce the amount of teams going to state. And I do believe going back to three classifications will create more momentum than having this weird four class format.

We talked about fewer teams in Districts and scheduling issues in basketball and a travel nightmare for 4 classes with Districts, Regions and sub-states traveling 3 hours to play games before the meeting that implemented the four classes during the Covid year. It was simple math. 110 divided by 16 is what 6 1/2 teams per District when there were already problems with small District numbers in the three class system. Now you have 83 divided by 16 is what 5 teams in the four class system and some like South Gibson and South Side with only 3 teams in their District. They knew these problems would be there. Square peg in a round hole. And now they want to make it an unfair field for AA and AAA to even the Districts up. AA and AAA will have what another 17-27 teams to go through to make win state. A and AAAA can gripe that they will only have four teams in the state but actual chances to win state will go up dramatically losing all the teams to AA and AAA, which will be big time tough to win not only in basketball but baseball and softball as well adding all these teams. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:01 AM, VOLnWTN said:

McKenzie released their enrollment numbers yesterday in the newspaper. We are up 20 students from same time last year.  In the high school, we have 358 students.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

When will all the numbers be released?? Looks like McKenzie is at the mercy of A and AA by the number of the largest school in the state. 358 is the last number for Single A from I guess old numbers. 

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

When will all the numbers be released?? Looks like McKenzie is at the mercy of A and AA by the number of the largest school in the state. 358 is the last number for Single A from I guess old numbers. 

That is not the 20th day number. I am guessing that is the first day. But shouldn’t change much if any.