Enrollment Numbers

35 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

That is not the 20th day number. I am guessing that is the first day. But shouldn’t change much if any. 

Guess the number for McKenzie to keep an eye on would be what Collierville and Bartlett’s number is. Collierville had 2865 and Bartlett had 2768. Next closest is Dobyns Bennett at 2364 and these were all last cycle. Don’t know if you watched the video but based on last cycle 2865 is the back end of 4 A. 1/2 of that rounded down is 1432 being the back end of AAA. 1/2 of that is 716 being the back end of AA and 1/2 of that is 358 which is the back end of Single A based on the last cycle. Whole deal will be interesting to see because it will be a four year deal. Never thought I would see a deal in Tennessee where a class would only have four teams at state. 

Edited by pioneer42

50 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Guess the number for McKenzie to keep an eye on would be what Collierville and Bartlett’s number is. Collierville had 2865 and Bartlett had 2768. Next closest is Dobyns Bennett at 2364 and these were all last cycle. Don’t know if you watched the video but based on last cycle 2865 is the back end of 4 A. 1/2 of that rounded down is 1432 being the back end of AAA. 1/2 of that is 716 being the back end of AA and 1/2 of that is 358 which is the back end of Single A based on the last cycle. Whole deal will be interesting to see because it will be a four year deal. Never thought I would see a deal in Tennessee where a class would only have four teams at state. 

Until 1993 there were only 3 including privates.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

According to video they will purpose a 4 5 and 6 classification system. Board will vote. I’ll believe they will change it when I see it 

1 hour ago, rlh said:

Until 1993 there were only 3 including privates.

Yeah I am talking about basketball. The basketball number on the video was 358 projected as the last number of Single A. McKenzie’s enrollment as of today is 358. Football will stay at 6 classes, IMO. Now teams may change based on enrollment and the numbers may change a bit, IMO. 

Edited by pioneer42

7 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

We talked about fewer teams in Districts and scheduling issues in basketball and a travel nightmare for 4 classes with Districts, Regions and sub-states traveling 3 hours to play games before the meeting that implemented the four classes during the Covid year. It was simple math. 110 divided by 16 is what 6 1/2 teams per District when there were already problems with small District numbers in the three class system. Now you have 83 divided by 16 is what 5 teams in the four class system and some like South Gibson and South Side with only 3 teams in their District. They knew these problems would be there. Square peg in a round hole. And now they want to make it an unfair field for AA and AAA to even the Districts up. AA and AAA will have what another 17-27 teams to go through to make win state. A and AAAA can gripe that they will only have four teams in the state but actual chances to win state will go up dramatically losing all the teams to AA and AAA, which will be big time tough to win not only in basketball but baseball and softball as well adding all these teams. 

And that's the reason why they'll change it. Note: 32 teams in each sport (basketball, softball, and baseball) go to state. This new proposal has a total of 24 teams. That right there tells me they've acknowledged they have made a mistake, and willing to change. There are some people that want to stay in this current model because "there team rarely go to state, and if they do make it, it creates a lifetime full of memories!" I do understand it, but it's also BS. North Side boys going up there and getting beat by 34 sure did create a "lifetime full of memories" for them.

Going to a model that has about 6 teams in each district will make the regular season more meaningful. Some teams would want to play for that 1/2 seed and potentially get a bye in district time. Having a district that South Side, and South Gibson in is not fun for the ladies. They're automatically into region. And for a team like Murfreesboro Central to travel 2 and a half hours to get beat by 40 is not a good look.

Personally, I do see AA and AAA teams having a cow because the road to Murfreesboro is more difficult than A and AAAA classifications.  I just don't see how that will get passed. Going back to three classifications arguably makes the best sense. Which does hurt teams like South Gibson boys because they will likely have to play one of the Memphis teams.

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

And that's the reason why they'll change it. Note: 32 teams in each sport (basketball, softball, and baseball) go to state. This new proposal has a total of 24 teams. That right there tells me they've acknowledged they have made a mistake, and willing to change. There are some people that want to stay in this current model because "there team rarely go to state, and if they do make it, it creates a lifetime full of memories!" I do understand it, but it's also BS. North Side boys going up there and getting beat by 34 sure did create a "lifetime full of memories" for them.

Going to a model that has about 6 teams in each district will make the regular season more meaningful. Some teams would want to play for that 1/2 seed and potentially get a bye in district time. Having a district that South Side, and South Gibson in is not fun for the ladies. They're automatically into region. And for a team like Murfreesboro Central to travel 2 and a half hours to get beat by 40 is not a good look.

Personally, I do see AA and AAA teams having a cow because the road to Murfreesboro is more difficult than A and AAAA classifications.  I just don't see how that will get passed. Going back to three classifications arguably makes the best sense. Which does hurt teams like South Gibson boys because they will likely have to play one of the Memphis teams.

AA and AAA ought to raise 90 different kinds of it. Why would any AA and AAA coach want this?? Just like Bradley Lambert said AA and AAA is much like the Three Class format. That verbage alone tells how unfair it is. Going to give A and AAAA 30-40 less teams and people in here are calling this a good idea. Really??? Teams that are wanting to win Gold Balls don’t want to have to go through more teams and good one’s at that just because they made a mistake. 

22 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

AA and AAA ought to raise 90 different kinds of it. Why would any AA and AAA coach want this?? Just like Bradley Lambert said AA and AAA is much like the Three Class format. That verbage alone tells how unfair it is. Going to give A and AAAA 30-40 less teams and people in here are calling this a good idea. Really??? Teams that are wanting to win Gold Balls don’t want to have to go through more teams and good one’s at that just because they made a mistake. 

I think that their reasoning is sound, at least the "twice the size" part, but starting from the top is where they went wrong...percentage wise, 1,400 something against 2,800 something is credible on paper, but in practicality putting 11 capable players on the field per play shouldn't be much more challenging for one than another. Counting 1A's bottom end at 0 isn't even an attempt at being reasonable either, beginning with the smallest 1A enrollment and working upward would level the playing field much more accurately competition wise...smaller schools who can field 11 athletes with one or two "difference makers" and a handful of subs will be successful, and that's much harder to do with even 100 fewer students than your opponents for most 1A schools.

BOARD OF CONTROL AGENDA

August 15, 2022  Lebanon, Tennessee

1. Roll Call

2. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting

3. Financial Report of Baseball

4. Financial Report of Softball

5. Financial Report of Soccer

6. Financial Report of Track and Field

7. Financial Report of Tennis

8. Spring Fling Report

9. Auditor’s Report of the 2021-22 School Year

10. 2022-2023 TSSAA Budget

11. Classification Timeline/Discussion
The Board of Control will need to determine the number of classes in each sport
for the upcoming classification period.

12. Sites for Tournaments and Meets
It has been the policy of the Board of Control to authorize the Executive Director
to select sites and make plans for conducting regional and state tournaments or
meets in golf, tennis, cross country, track and field, baseball, softball, volleyball,
wrestling, soccer, and bowling.

13. State Championship Contracts & Bids
The state office would like guidance from the Board on how to proceed with
contracts at venues which will be expiring after the 2022-2023 school year for
some of our state championship events.

14. Cooperative Programs Approved during the 2021-2022 School Year

15. Marketing Program Update

16. Student Services/The Right Team Update