Mckenzie vs Clay County for the Gold

RedRebelman

33 minutes ago, volwalker23 said:

I re-watched the McKenzie-SP game from last year the other day. McKenzie definitely shot themselves in the foot a few times which played a huge part in SP winning that game. I’d also agree with what others have said in that this year’s Clay Co team won’t be able to match up as well with McKenzie as last year’s SP team could. 

It’s not even close. Last years SP team was one of our 6 best ever according to state title history, but we had a lot better teams not get it done.  I don’t know anything about Clay other than what I watched on NFHS network. The 2022 Clay team is a solid little 1A team, but they won’t be any match for your McKenzie boys. The state championship game was two weeks ago at McKenzie. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, volwalker23 said:

I re-watched the McKenzie-SP game from last year the other day. McKenzie definitely shot themselves in the foot a few times which played a huge part in SP winning that game. I’d also agree with what others have said in that this year’s Clay Co team won’t be able to match up as well with McKenzie as last year’s SP team could. 

I watched some of Clay County and have seen McKenzie. I’m pretty sure Clay will try and play keep away, but this game has Union City vs Coalfield 2014 all over as matchup wise

36 minutes ago, CaptainLongbeard said:

It’s not even close. Last years SP team was one of our 6 best ever according to state title history, but we had a lot better teams not get it done.  I don’t know anything about Clay other than what I watched on NFHS network. The 2022 Clay team is a solid little 1A team, but they won’t be any match for your McKenzie boys. The state championship game was two weeks ago at McKenzie. 

36 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

I watched some of Clay County and have seen McKenzie. I’m pretty sure Clay will try and play keep away, but this game has Union City vs Coalfield 2014 all over as matchup wise

Yeah it’s just hard for me to see it being close. Clay will have to try to control the clock and keep McKenzie’s offense on the sideline as much as possible but it’s obviously gonna be much easier said than done. I know Clay hasn’t played against an offense as good as McKenzie’s this year but I don’t think they’ve played against a defense as good either. The shutout against MASE last week was impressive for sure.

I agree the State Championship Game was played against City. City had their chances and made 2nd half adjustments but it wasn’t enough. Needed one more first down and a stop after a punt with 2mins to go. Their D shut down McKenzie in the 2nd half but couldn’t keep them outta field goal range with less than a minute to go. Too many missed tackles and blown coverages. And conservative play calling by City. Not taking anything away from McKenzie. They won. But they were the best coached and disciplined team that night. You’re never win a big game when you commit 11 penalties for 100yrds. And don’t throw the ball. McKenzie got a well deserved win.  

On 11/25/2022 at 10:39 PM, OldTownRoad said:

McKenzie is a great football team no doubt. Clay can't have back to back fumbles like they did tonight. However, I don't see this game being a running clock. Too much fight and pride from this group of seniors to roll over against anyone. If Clay plays like they did in the quarterfinals, they definitely have a puncher's chance. Should be a fun one!

Tbh this McKenzie team is so good a team doesn't have to roll over to get smoked by them. Not saying that's the case for the championship 

Just now, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Tbh this McKenzie team is so good a team doesn't have to roll over to get smoked by them. Not saying that's the case for the championship 

Good point. It's not really about rolling over. I know this Clay Co bunch will fight hard but it could still be running clock, I think they're that outmatched 

1 hour ago, Olinepush60 said:

Clay county is going to DOMINATE McKenzie. McKenzie has been overrated this entire season and played practically no one. Clay has easily had the toughest 1A schedule in the state. I’d be surprised if clay doesn’t run through McKenzie by at least 3 touchdowns 

Finally someone speaks the truth. :roflol: