West Tennessee Teams

sportsfan53ray

18 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I thought Gibson County had the momentum a couple of times but the lulls and TO’s offensively stopped our momentum. Again, credit to Westview’s defense. They need to get a ton of credit. I thought GIbson County’s defense played tough and Westview was off some for sure but still made some money shots but Gibson County was in it real late. We have pressed, hadn’t pressed…etc…we got to quit turning it over. Did against Huntingdon too. We have to get better there. I do think there will be some battles between the two for sure. We lost the game and not happy about it but it was a dogfight and was an enjoyable game. Congrats to both teams on leaving it on the floor. Both of these schools are full of class and great programs with many chapters. Refs catch a lot of flack but thought they called a good game. Very fair.

Pioneer, your observations are very good and an honest perspective on 12AA girls. I know a little bit about these teams having broadcast Westview for many years and in recent years having a daughter-in-law and grandchildren in Gibson Co schools. Obviously  have seen Huntingdon for many years in both A & AA. We're blessed to have three really good teams in the district, all of which are state tournament worthy. Defense is the key to Westview's success in my opinion as well. It's gotten them through numerous tough shooting nights. I also agree that guard play will be the key for Huntingdon's success. They are the deepest and most well-rounded team of the trio. I was really impressed with GC's freshmen Tuesday night. Those two will be poison down the road. Micah will be Micah most nights but Westview defended Cantrell well. She's got to be more than a spot up shooter and create some shots of her own. I'm glad next year district/region will change. Fillies will still have to go through Summertown/Loretto in Sectional but they'll have a good chance of hosting the game.

9 hours ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Pioneer, your observations are very good and an honest perspective on 12AA girls. I know a little bit about these teams having broadcast Westview for many years and in recent years having a daughter-in-law and grandchildren in Gibson Co schools. Obviously  have seen Huntingdon for many years in both A & AA. We're blessed to have three really good teams in the district, all of which are state tournament worthy. Defense is the key to Westview's success in my opinion as well. It's gotten them through numerous tough shooting nights. I also agree that guard play will be the key for Huntingdon's success. They are the deepest and most well-rounded team of the trio. I was really impressed with GC's freshmen Tuesday night. Those two will be poison down the road. Micah will be Micah most nights but Westview defended Cantrell well. She's got to be more than a spot up shooter and create some shots of her own. I'm glad next year district/region will change. Fillies will still have to go through Summertown/Loretto in Sectional but they'll have a good chance of hosting the game.

Gibson County’s Freshman I will bet will be starting by District Tournament. Every time they hit the floor momentum changes in Gibson County’s favor. They have been probably the most consistent players on the team this year. They have played well. I think with them on the floor Gibson County is a better team and their chances of winning the Gold Ball increases. They are both very good players and play like upper class men. No disrespect to other players because they all have done well a lot but these girls can play and are very consistent. They need to be on the floor as much as possible, IMO.

Edited by pioneer42

13 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Gibson County’s Freshman I will bet will be starting by District Tournament. Every time they hit the floor momentum changes in Gibson County’s favor. They have been probably the most consistent players on the team this year. They have played well. I think with them on the floor Gibson County is a better team and their chances of winning the Gold Ball increases dramatically. They are both very good players and play like upper class men. No disrespect to other players because they all have done well a lot but these girls can play and are very consistent. They need to be on the floor. 

They are special! That guard is ridiculously fast   & flat out can play 

Edited by HawkGuy06

On 1/18/2023 at 1:09 AM, Dribbles said:

Be careful what you wish for by wanting to run off a winning coach @ McNairy.  Just look a bit east at what Hardin County has gotten themselves into.  HC ran off an aging but decent coach in Ron Burnham and then failed in the hiring process to double down on it.  Now they are stuck with a young coach with only 2 years prior experience as an assistant head coaching for the HC boys team and a now struggling girls program with a grand total of 5 wins this season.

HC messed up for sure but you always have Parsons to fall back on  LOL

On 1/16/2023 at 10:44 PM, Intense said:

Great to hear from you trader!  Yes, 19 average win per season is pretty strong when you consider the down years.  As a former Bobcat player from 80-84, I saw Jerry in action and have also coached against him.  As a player, he helped me one year when I had a little hitch in my shot.  Boys coach didnt catch it but Jerry did and he helped me correct it.  That’s a small example of how he has coached well over the years.  I’ve experienced what it takes to win a Gold Ball as we won in 2020.  You have to have all the pieces, post play, guard play and shooters.  I’m not sure he’s ever really had all the pieces to win it in AA.  Very few coaches ever win a Gold Ball.  I think his record proves his success and respect should be given.  His daughter played college ball at Lambuth so I think the negative comment on her was in poor taste.   There’s always a better coach out there!  Always!

Not his daughter, she was a great player. Granddaughter a few years ago and another one coming 

On 1/19/2023 at 7:19 AM, Croppygenius said:

Gibson Co scored 75 against Huntingdon, 33 against Westview. Westview had a hand in the Gibson Co's shooters faces all night. No uncontested 3's. Chargers said let them drive which they did with little success. If the Fillies can contest against the 3 against Westview they've got a shot. Let them drive, we've got a couple 6'2" gals in the paint waiting on them!

Huntingdon is very impressive. Good solid play and dominant posts. Should be a great Region tourney. The referees tonight didn't call a good game for either team, but I give where credit where credit is due and the Lady Mustangs are tough. 

35 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Huntingdon is very impressive. Good solid play and dominant posts. Should be a great Region tourney. The referees tonight didn't call a good game for either team, but I give where credit where credit is due and the Lady Mustangs are tough. 

I feel like Westview’s weakness was revealed tonight and that is their lack of a true post player. They’ve been blessed with a big for several years and unfortunately don’t think year with two posts out with ACLs and that’s where Huntington dominated. However, Westview made a few more threes which count more than the down low two and got enough to pull out the win. Should be a great matchup for the next few times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

53 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

I feel like Westview’s weakness was revealed tonight and that is their lack of a true post player. They’ve been blessed with a big for several years and unfortunately don’t think year with two posts out with ACLs and that’s where Huntington dominated. However, Westview made a few more threes which count more than the down low two and got enough to pull out the win. Should be a great matchup for the next few times!

Westview and McKenzie very unfortunate losing players to injury and both post players. I will watch it tomm. on NFHS. Congratulations on a great win. Huntingdon a with a great performance again sounds like. Going to be some good one’s going forward. 

33 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Big game tomorrow between SGC and South side. South side will be the heavy favorites ( and should be ) in the contest, but I suspect that SGC will put up a little bit of a fight. I am going to do everything I can to make it to this game.  

South Gibson is going to have to get more active taking it to the rim and getting the ball down low to the post. Against Gibson County both times they looked very content trying to shoot three’s They have to create more offense than just three’s. South Side’s defense is just really good and not turning it over will be a challenge. Playing them four times may help them down the road. Will be about as close to playing four boys games with their speed and quickness as you will get. Can’t hurt right. Good luck.