NIL

mondo44

32 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

Florida students are suing their Athletic Association for conspiring with NFHS to prevent NIL. I typed in NIL, High School, and Sue and there are articles about litigation from around the country.

Still doesn't answer the question.  They are being sued for what?  Again a minor is not entitled to or owed anything from anybody.  What are the basis of the lawsuits?  

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Still doesn't answer the question.  They are being sued for what?  Again a minor is not entitled to or owed anything from anybody.  What are the basis of the lawsuits?  

I don't honestly know the answer to that or the legality of it all.

I'll just text a direct quote from a lawsuit in Florida 

In January 2022, a class action lawsuit was filed in Miami-Dade County styled Sal Stewart v. Florida High School Athletic Association, Inc., Case No. 22-427 CA-01, which, in part, seeks declaratory relief and damages for Florida high school student-athletes.[2] The named Plaintiff, Sal Stewart, asserts that Florida high school athletes are exploited by the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) as to their prohibition against being compensated for the use of their NIL.[3] Namely, Stewart alleges the FHSAA’s bylaws are wholly disconnected from the interests of the “student athletes,” who are barred from receiving the benefits of competitive markets for their skills, talents, and services, which is inconsistent with principles of Florida antitrust law, and is unlawful and unconstitutional.[4]

The FHSAA, which is the governing organization for high school sports competition in Florida (consisting of over 800 member schools), is further accused of prohibiting high school athletes from entering NIL agreements because FHSAA’s “draconian” bylaws state that a student-athlete forfeits amateur status in a particular sport for one year by “[c]apitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of a monetary nature.”[5] In its Motion for Class Certification on behalf of all Florida high school athletes who have been denied by the bylaw, Plaintiff further asserts that FHSAA Bylaw 9.9.2(c) expressly prohibits high school athletes from entering into endorsement agreements for a third party’s use of their NIL in exchange for monetary compensation even though the FHSAA generates significant revenue ($5.4 million for the 2020-21 high school years).[6] Further as it relates to the alleged unconstitutionality of the bylaws, Plaintiff maintains there are less restrictive arrangements that could meet FHSAA’s stated objectives.[7]

35 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

I don't honestly know the answer to that or the legality of it all.

I'll just text a direct quote from a lawsuit in Florida 

In January 2022, a class action lawsuit was filed in Miami-Dade County styled Sal Stewart v. Florida High School Athletic Association, Inc., Case No. 22-427 CA-01, which, in part, seeks declaratory relief and damages for Florida high school student-athletes.[2] The named Plaintiff, Sal Stewart, asserts that Florida high school athletes are exploited by the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) as to their prohibition against being compensated for the use of their NIL.[3] Namely, Stewart alleges the FHSAA’s bylaws are wholly disconnected from the interests of the “student athletes,” who are barred from receiving the benefits of competitive markets for their skills, talents, and services, which is inconsistent with principles of Florida antitrust law, and is unlawful and unconstitutional.[4]

The FHSAA, which is the governing organization for high school sports competition in Florida (consisting of over 800 member schools), is further accused of prohibiting high school athletes from entering NIL agreements because FHSAA’s “draconian” bylaws state that a student-athlete forfeits amateur status in a particular sport for one year by “[c]apitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of a monetary nature.”[5] In its Motion for Class Certification on behalf of all Florida high school athletes who have been denied by the bylaw, Plaintiff further asserts that FHSAA Bylaw 9.9.2(c) expressly prohibits high school athletes from entering into endorsement agreements for a third party’s use of their NIL in exchange for monetary compensation even though the FHSAA generates significant revenue ($5.4 million for the 2020-21 high school years).[6] Further as it relates to the alleged unconstitutionality of the bylaws, Plaintiff maintains there are less restrictive arrangements that could meet FHSAA’s stated objectives.[7]

And the question remains.  I'm not sure why the entitlement generation feels like they are owed something just for being able to fog a mirror.    Bottom line, it is a real threat to ruining what I believe is the last pure (somewhat pure) form of athletics.  What's next T-ball pay per play?  Pee Wee football?  Wow.  So, NIL, Get off my lawn!  Ha Ha.

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

TSSAA reasoning behind all of this is they wanted to get ahead of it before lawsuits begin against them in Tennessee. I understand the reasoning but still don't like it. I've seen a lot of people saying this is going to create more recruiting by private schools and so on. In my eyes, private schools have been doing this already for a long time and I don't see them dishing out more money than they already are. In Sumner County Jp2 has been getting kids from Beech, Hendersonville, and Station Camp every single year by offering incentives. I believe all this NIL stuff is going to allow public schools like those the ability of keeping more of those kids. However, that's just in my county; I know around the state it may or may not be a much bigger issue. I can't imagine what Knox County is going to end up like with all of this. 

1 minute ago, sumcofootball said:

TSSAA reasoning behind all of this is they wanted to get ahead of it before lawsuits begin against them in Tennessee. I understand the reasoning but still don't like it. I've seen a lot of people saying this is going to create more recruiting by private schools and so on. In my eyes, private schools have been doing this already for a long time and I don't see them dishing out more money than they already are. In Sumner County Jp2 has been getting kids from Beech, Hendersonville, and Station Camp every single year by offering incentives. I believe all this NIL stuff is going to allow public schools like those the ability of keeping more of those kids. However, that's just in my county; I know around the state it may or may not be a much bigger issue. I can't imagine what Knox County is going to end up like with all of this. 

It's already the "wild west" up here.  Seems like kids just play wherever they want and nobody cares enough to do anything about it.  Add in this NIL and it eill get ugly.  Seems pretty obvious to me the end result wil be that the better teams will get even better and the not so good teams will become just gawd awful as they start to lose even more of their better players to the better football programs.  Just not good. 

1 minute ago, oridgecat said:

It's already the "wild west" up here.  Seems like kids just play wherever they want and nobody cares enough to do anything about it.  Add in this NIL and it eill get ugly.  Seems pretty obvious to me the end result wil be that the better teams will get even better and the not so good teams will become just gawd awful as they start to lose even more of their better players to the better football programs.  Just not good. 

I don’t know if all the good teams will get better but the teams with the most $$$$ will definitely get the best players.  Back in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s towns with large manufacturing plants would often entice good athletes to move into that school district by offering the father a very good paying job.  It certainly appears as if we will now be doing the same thing other than the payments will go to the kids.

31 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

And the question remains.  I'm not sure why the entitlement generation feels like they are owed something just for being able to fog a mirror.    Bottom line, it is a real threat to ruining what I believe is the last pure (somewhat pure) form of athletics.  What's next T-ball pay per play?  Pee Wee football?  Wow.  So, NIL, Get off my lawn!  Ha Ha.

I agree with you and would add that the high school athletic associations are not prohibiting anyone from anything, least of all earning money... they are not obligated however, to allow just anyone who wishes to participate for a team representing one of their member schools to do so. Nobody stands up for what they believe to be right anymore, it's just cheaper and simpler to allow whoever has the gall to litigate to do as they wish. First mention of lawyering up over this should have resulted in a lawsuit carried through to fruition... as least there would have been a chance to nip this in the bud.

Unpopular opinion. 

I welcome the NIL deals and hope it hastens the slow decline of HS football.  It's already declining,  maybe this will speed it up (fingers crossed). 

Reasoning. It's awful what some programs do to win at all costs.  Tear the system down and rebuild it as a pure sport for the kids.  It ain't been about the kids in a long time. 

Other sports are still just about the kids and competition.  

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

You answered your own question with the words "entitlement generation."  Too many looking for an easy and quick buck.  

• Like 1