Mairvul '23 mostest inneggspearenced teem evur

STARSNBARS

17 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

That's because someone keeps losing pieces of GQ's chess board so they replaced it with a checkerboard instead.

One of the things that always blew me about GQ is his use of special plays. He may only use 1 the entire game,  but it will work and it will swing momentum back to Maryville.  He was always thinking a full set of downs ahead of his opponent 

4 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

One of the things that always blew me about GQ is his use of special plays. He may only use 1 the entire game,  but it will work and it will swing momentum back to Maryville.  He was always thinking a full set of downs ahead of his opponent 

Kind of amazes me how similar GQ & Creasy are in this regard. Creasy always seems to be thinking a few plays ahead and will run things early in the game to set up something else later on. Also always seems to have some tricks up his sleeve if he ever needs them, much like GQ always did.

18 hours ago, REBELRON said:

I had a Junior High coach tell be last year that the 7th grade class overall was even better than the 8th grade class. A lot of 7th graders started last year for the Junior High team. Big difference in the 2 classes is Will Jones. Will Jones will be a difference maker.  I am not ready to give up on this upcoming Maryville team.  Gage is a great running back. Price Davis is going to break out this year. He is 6' 185lbs now. He is bigger,faster and stronger. I feel like Maryville will be strong on the Oline. Blake Heckman is a monster going to Liberty. Logan McGlamery  is benching 375lbs and squatting 500lbs. He has starting experience. Alex Boyd is much bigger and stronger. If receivers and quarterback step up offense will be really good. Eli Elkins is a good TE. A lot of kids on defense need to step up. I hope Sam Young can stay healthy. I am hearing good things about Matthew Covert.  

It's almost like someone has said that on here before..............

47 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

What you said is 100% right and the main piece that got lost on that chess board. I miss that more than anything. 

Our 2 minute offense just right before halftime also is beginning to be a missing piece. That alone sealed a lot of teams fate with Maryville over the years. More time was lost last year during that drive watching three coaches on the sidelines jumping up and down like monkeys while the team looked like a deer in headlights. 

23 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Our 2 minute offense just right before halftime also is beginning to be a missing piece. That alone sealed a lot of teams fate with Maryville over the years. More time was lost last year during that drive watching three coaches on the sidelines jumping up and down like monkeys while the team looked like a deer in headlights. 

I can't remember exactly which game I was watching last year (I'm thinking the West game), but I remember that it was the most unorganized I had ever seen a Maryville team look. 

54 minutes ago, jhawk23 said:

I can't remember exactly which game I was watching last year (I'm thinking the West game), but I remember that it was the most unorganized I had ever seen a Maryville team look. 

I've often wondered how much of that had to do with a first year senior QB coming in and having to cram a lot into a short window.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

What you said is 100% right and the main piece that got lost on that chess board. I miss that more than anything. 

I think the missing piece is something else Barney. Every year my youth league has a jamboree and used to I would always hear a couple parents brag about taking their kid to the qb school at maryville that lasted all week and how awesome Junior did and how much he learned and they thought for sure their kid’s team would win the English mountain Super Bowl. This past weekend I was calling different directors in the league and we were finalizing some rule changes for the upcoming season and one of the directors told me a parent in his community took his son to the maryville football camp and it was nothing but a 90 minute p.e. class. He said looked like coach had something else he’d rather be doing and all the kids did was basically run. Very little actual football instruction. If that youth camp has gone from a 5 day “qb school”to a 90 minute game of tag then I’m sure there’s a parallel to a drop off at the high school level. And I get it. It’s hard to balance 2 jobs. I have to protect and serve and lead a flock to stay on the straight and narrow. It’s tough juggling both but I live by the motto keep the main thing the main thing. Sounds like at freedman institute the main thing is 6% and supplement is when there’s no listings to show. 

3 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Which is why the 3-4 is popular because all you have to do to change into a 50 is bring two of those linebackers onto LOS. One of the reasons the Wing-T  is a nightmare is it forces you to be disciplined, you bring pressure you better guess right or its going to the house. It doesn't help Maryville that practically no one in East TN runs the Wing-T, so there's no way to truly simulate what Oakland does

Oakland's advantage over Maryville however isn't tactical. They're just bigger, faster and one of the few teams Maryville doesn't have an advantage over when it comes to coaching.

It’s great when you can walk a 6-2 LB up to play DE, not when you walk up two guys that are 5’10”. I agree with you on the 3-4 if all players are equal, but they are not. Line up based on your talent and the best chance for success.

13 minutes ago, strongx said:

It’s great when you can walk a 6-2 LB up to play DE, not when you walk up two guys that are 5’10”. I agree with you on the 3-4 if all players are equal, but they are not. Line up based on your talent and the best chance for success.

Honestly,  smaller actually would help you in pass rush situations. I wish Oakland did have a bunch of 6'2 LB's, Korey Smith would be recruited by everyone if he was.

Anyways,  That's why most schools like the 3-4/50, you can show multiple looks without making alot of changes. Maryville needs to find a program that runs the Wing-T well and at least scrimmage them