Mairvul '23 mostest inneggspearenced teem evur

STARSNBARS

46 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Honestly,  smaller actually would help you in pass rush situations. I wish Oakland did have a bunch of 6'2 LB's, Korey Smith would be recruited by everyone if he was.

Anyways,  That's why most schools like the 3-4/50, you can show multiple looks without making alot of changes. Maryville needs to find a program that runs the Wing-T well and at least scrimmage them

Sorry MTF, I didn’t realize you were an Oakland fan. I’m not familiar with Mr. Smith, but hopefully I get to watch him play this year. From what I have seen out of Oakland the last several years, the two stud safeties playing about 6 yards off the ball is the key to their defense. It’s more like a 5-6 defense. Murvil hasn’t had the strong safeties lately. But that’s no excuse, the best defense is always a good offense…regardless of the sport really.

1 minute ago, strongx said:

Sorry MTF, I didn’t realize you were an Oakland fan. I’m not familiar with Mr. Smith, but hopefully I get to watch him play this year. From what I have seen out of Oakland the last several years, the two stud safeties playing about 6 yards off the ball is the key to their defense. It’s more like a 5-6 defense. Murvil hasn’t had the strong safeties lately. But that’s no excuse, the best defense is always a good offense…regardless of the sport really.

Well grew up an Oakland fan, but will talk HSFB with any team. It's true though, Oakland asks alot of their DBs, trusting them to win 1 on 1. You can hurt Oakland with the deep ball, but that requires your OL to protect longer and its just so difficult considering how athletic they are upfront

Stud tailbacks like LaDue can hide alot of faults, he's a load to bring down 

1 hour ago, MurphyCollege said:

I think the missing piece is something else Barney. Every year my youth league has a jamboree and used to I would always hear a couple parents brag about taking their kid to the qb school at maryville that lasted all week and how awesome Junior did and how much he learned and they thought for sure their kid’s team would win the English mountain Super Bowl. This past weekend I was calling different directors in the league and we were finalizing some rule changes for the upcoming season and one of the directors told me a parent in his community took his son to the maryville football camp and it was nothing but a 90 minute p.e. class. He said looked like coach had something else he’d rather be doing and all the kids did was basically run. Very little actual football instruction. If that youth camp has gone from a 5 day “qb school”to a 90 minute game of tag then I’m sure there’s a parallel to a drop off at the high school level. And I get it. It’s hard to balance 2 jobs. I have to protect and serve and lead a flock to stay on the straight and narrow. It’s tough juggling both but I live by the motto keep the main thing the main thing. Sounds like at freedman institute the main thing is 6% and supplement is when there’s no listings to show. 

There is one evening camp that is exactly as you describe.   However, there's a QB/Receiver camp and OL/DL camp for the youth ages that are quite instructional.

https://www.parksrec.com/recreation-program/summer-day-camps#linemen

https://www.parksrec.com/recreation-program/summer-day-camps#quarterback

Edited by OldRebel2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

There is one evening camp that is exactly as you describe.   However, there's a QB/Receiver camp and OL/DL camp for the youth ages that are quite instructional.

I haven’t been to it in a while, but young quarterbacks from several surrounding counties used to come to the quarterback camp.

5 hours ago, strongx said:

I haven’t been to it in a while, but young quarterbacks from several surrounding counties used to come to the quarterback camp.

How did we get out selves in the shape we're in with the QB position. Maryville's QB position reminds me of a fast food restaurant with the dining room closed and two people working the drive thru. When stuff like that happens your fixing to go out of business. How did we go from having 5 or 6 QB's and even more at times ready for their number to get called to just two. Look at all the great QB's that have came through there and to be in this position is mind blowing. A lot of people are writing us off because of it and other rumors floating around. How did no one see this coming because I sure did back when Carson Jones was a junior and we had time to get someone in and prepared. We waited to late and got caught with our pants down to our ankles. This reminds me of the time Tennessee lost all their linemen to graduation and Derek Dooley didn't sign one linemen that year and it took forever to work their way out of that mess. I realize we have some good ones coming up but that could be a heavy price to pay either which way you go. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I’m not sure how many of our parents read the T but I’ll pass this information along at our next meeting. 

I was reading in the Maryville Daily Fish Wrap where they plan to tear the old part of the high school down that was built in 1938 as part of the plans to enlarge the school to bring the 9th grade from the junior high building. I wish we could keep old buildings like they do in Europe but a lot of great memories will be gone for newer buildings with more modern features buitl by the Lowest Bidder. Always remember to put back some cost to fix many of the issues down the road then you'll figure out you shoud of went with the best in the first place but that's how educated idiots think.

Edited by BarneySox2007

17 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I was reading in the Maryville Daily Fish Wrap where they plan to tear the old part of the high school down that was built in 1938 as part of the plans to enlarge the school to bring the 9th grade from the junior high building. I wish we could keep old buildings like they do in Europe but a lot of great memories will be gone for newer buildings with more modern features buitl by the Lowest Bidder. Always remember to put back some cost to fix many of the issues down the road then you'll figure out you shoud of went with the best in the first place but that's how educated idiots think.

I only thought this only happened in Washington County....

On 7/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, MidTennFootball said:

Honestly,  smaller actually would help you in pass rush situations. I wish Oakland did have a bunch of 6'2 LB's, Korey Smith would be recruited by everyone if he was.

Anyways,  That's why most schools like the 3-4/50, you can show multiple looks without making alot of changes. Maryville needs to find a program that runs the Wing-T well and at least scrimmage them

A little late to the discussion. They don't need to find a wing-t team to scrimmage. They need to get more people in the box. 7 ain't enough! Especially when there's only 3 on the LOS.  What's the point in having 4 db's when the opponent is running it down your throat? It seems like a lot of coaches have gotten dumb regarding basic football. It's always been and always will be a numbers game. If the D only has 3 dudes on the LOS then the offense wins every time-unless you got John Henderson, Reggie White and Vince Woolfork! Load the box! Become multiple-don't run the same crap every down! Just sayin'!

Hearing some positive news towards the Red Rebel Broadcast this fall which may have been addressed I hope. A lot of older fans that can't go to the games any longer were the ones who got the bad end of the stick when they let the basketball coach go who was the man on the mic in the press box also. What a lot of people don't know is that Maryville Football was the second rated team to watch on NFHS the year before only to turn on their televisions to watch the biggest $#!T Show to ever come across the TV screen and that was if they even came on air some weeks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:08 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Sevier county is going the opposite direction and building junior highs to get the 9th graders out of the high school building. And you definitely get what you pay for. When did counties decide to build as cheap as possible? Some schools look like no expense spared, and now many are cookie cutter cheap as possible buildings. 

1 hour ago, MurphyCollege said:

Sevier county is going the opposite direction and building junior highs to get the 9th graders out of the high school building. And you definitely get what you pay for. When did counties decide to build as cheap as possible? Some schools look like no expense spared, and now many are cookie cutter cheap as possible buildings. 

You should see some of the elementary buildings in Blount County, they look like prisons. The only thing missing are guard towers.