2023-24 NFHS weight class changes

barbwire

7 hours ago, CoachDFreeman said:

Nope. You will have to contact your TSSAA rep and convince them of your case and hope they will listen to you and fight for you.

Best of luck with that.

I would be surprised if any of them have any knowledge about wrestling, or for that matter, would give it too much thought or care. I begged my rep a few years ago to vote no on adding the sectional tournament and we all know how that turned out. 

I have been told by a very tenured coach that Tennessee will go with 14 weight classifications and use the NFHS weights

51 minutes ago, CoachDFreeman said:

I have heard that too. But is that for just boys are they moving to 14 for girls as well?

Interesting. I actually heard from a board member that they were leaning toward going 13 to align the number of boy’s weights with the girls. 

This source said they would be 107, 114, 121, 127, 133, 139, 145, 152, 160, 172, 189, 215, 285. 

Jury is still out though. 

3 hours ago, cowcatcherII said:

Interesting. I actually heard from a board member that they were leaning toward going 13 to align the number of boy’s weights with the girls. 

This source said they would be 107, 114, 121, 127, 133, 139, 145, 152, 160, 172, 189, 215, 285. 

Jury is still out though. 

The major issue is those individuals making the decision don’t know the difference between and takedown and a LAX ball.  The TSSAA board of control is clueless but that is a story for another day.

1 hour ago, dontstopbelieving said:

You have to imagine in the days we are in with title 9 the boys and girls will have an equal number of weight classes. Also all you guys that get on here posting about how wrestling is so watered down should be on here pushing for 12 weight classes. 

I am totally good with 12 weight classifications and everyone placed back into one division for the individual state championship.  Do I feel as if this is even a remote possibility, heck no because we have way too many soft people making decisions based on what benefits them personally.

Edited by cbg

12 hours ago, cbg said:

The major issue is those individuals making the decision don’t know the difference between and takedown and a LAX ball.  The TSSAA board of control is clueless but that is a story for another day.

LOL! You are right. There is no telling where they will land on this. I would be in favor of moving to 12 as well. We would see much better matches and few opportunities for top level contenders to run from each other in the postseason. 

Based on what my source told me, they were almost certain that boys and girls would have the same number of weight classes. I guess we will see what that means soon! 

4 hours ago, cowcatcherII said:

LOL! You are right. There is no telling where they will land on this. I would be in favor of moving to 12 as well. We would see much better matches and few opportunities for top level contenders to run from each other in the postseason. 

Based on what my source told me, they were almost certain that boys and girls would have the same number of weight classes. I guess we will see what that means soon! 

The one thing that the TSSAA will not do is combine everyone back together for one state championship even though the girls are not separated.  I would like nothing more than to sit back and laugh at the crying from both the soft parents parents and coaches if “LITTLE JOHNNY” would have to compete against everyone in Tennessee for a state championship.  I can hear it now, IT’S NOT FAIR

5 minutes ago, cbg said:

The one thing that the TSSAA will not do is combine everyone back together for one state championship even though the girls are not separated.  I would like nothing more than to sit back and laugh at the crying from both the soft parents parents and coaches if “LITTLE JOHNNY” would have to compete against everyone in Tennessee for a state championship.  I can hear it now, IT’S NOT FAIR

You go a tad overboard on what parents really think in my opinion.  What you espouse was definitely not my experience which, granted, is anecdotal.  The vast majority of parents whose kid qualified went to states, watched their kid lose, and went home with out much more than a "well shoot" or some derivation.   

What percentage of parents do you think complain to leadership (leadership that matters) about their kid not winning a state medal?

On 2/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, cobrakid8 said:

It’s actually the highest forfeited classes in the country, really makes me wonder why at big tourneys so many drop down to it instead of wrestling their regular classes. Maybe they think it’s easier to cut for those big tourneys and get a little easier competition but when back in state the cut it much harder and no reason in doing so. Jojo and Carson are even examples of that when Jojo cut to 106 but wrestled 113 for season and Carson wrestled 113 but wrestled 120 in TN itself. I’m sure it’s much easier to cut for just 1 weekend of wrestling than trying to cut that much weight for and entire season. That is why I stated 110 and not just to cut the 106 altogether, the start weight just needs to be upped a little because that’s where the kids are at anyways, not near as many big weight cuts. I actually would like to add a class not take one away. Would love to add a class like unlimited and see if we can get some football players to join in to help them with their football careers and then not have to cut weight to do so(which a lot will not do). Also with 15 that gives us off number and makes it easier if there is a tie and actually makes it less likely for a tie and criteria to have to take effect. 

also by the way Jojo and Carson would have won about any weight class they entered from 106-120 (since you get another Uhorchuk brother at 126 lol. 

also after looking at the brackets at Beast, 106 had 14 byes built into its 14 man bracket, it takes until 215 to have that many again, so it’s not one of the largest, it’s just larger than those in higher heavier weights, maybe we could start making some smaller weights in the middle and start at 110 and it would all work out. 

Go back and look at that Beast bracket again.  106 had 50 entries and it’s an invite only tournament. 

On 4/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mason422 said:

Go back and look at that Beast bracket again.  106 had 50 entries and it’s an invite only tournament. 

and again go back and see how many of those kids dropped down for that tournament only or those big tournaments just to wrestle higher up during season itself. I know of a few that did so, so you can't tell me during the season if 106 was that heavily populated why they don't just stay down? So yeah I know those big tournaments have some of the largest brackets at the lowest weights, its because its easier to place there compared to if those kids didn't cut at all and had to wrestle at 125 or whatever. Also since I'm not going to take the time to look it up but what kind of testing do they follow to allow wrestlers to drop, do they follow TN and their hydration stuff or do they allow you to just wrestle at whatever weight you choose if you can get there?

• Like 1