2023-24 NFHS weight class changes

barbwire

On 2/25/2023 at 11:14 AM, cobrakid8 said:

I wrestled back when it was 103 and half the time there is no one to fill that weight, sorry, there just isn’t that many kids that are 90-100, not anymore and we aren’t getting smaller as a nation. Also NFHS could care less about growing the sport just like TSSAA isn’t or they would be showing the wrestling for free with all the money they already make off wrestling. I’m sitting here trying to watch single A and they show those mats are being delayed. So if they wanted to actually grow the sport how about they care enough to show it! Also 106 is the highest % weight class forfeited throughout the entire year, also seems it was the class most had to cut down too which was shown by those that didn’t make weight for it.

106 is probably one of the highest FFT weight in TN you are correct. We see it a lot especially in duals from teams in the middle of the state. However, as a coach who travels a lot 106/113 are typically the largest brackets. 

Last year 2 of the best wrestlers pound for pound in the entire state ( I am little bias here) met in the A 106 pound finals in JoJo and Carson. 

Cutting the weight class does not help the sport. Getting more clubs and more kids involved helps make TN more competitive and if you don't have the weight classes they won't have the opportunity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OleSweatpants said:

106 is probably one of the highest FFT weight in TN you are correct. We see it a lot especially in duals from teams in the middle of the state. However, as a coach who travels a lot 106/113 are typically the largest brackets. 

Last year 2 of the best wrestlers pound for pound in the entire state ( I am little bias here) met in the A 106 pound finals in JoJo and Carson. 

Cutting the weight class does not help the sport. Getting more clubs and more kids involved helps make TN more competitive and if you don't have the weight classes they won't have the opportunity. 

It’s actually the highest forfeited classes in the country, really makes me wonder why at big tourneys so many drop down to it instead of wrestling their regular classes. Maybe they think it’s easier to cut for those big tourneys and get a little easier competition but when back in state the cut it much harder and no reason in doing so. Jojo and Carson are even examples of that when Jojo cut to 106 but wrestled 113 for season and Carson wrestled 113 but wrestled 120 in TN itself. I’m sure it’s much easier to cut for just 1 weekend of wrestling than trying to cut that much weight for and entire season. That is why I stated 110 and not just to cut the 106 altogether, the start weight just needs to be upped a little because that’s where the kids are at anyways, not near as many big weight cuts. I actually would like to add a class not take one away. Would love to add a class like unlimited and see if we can get some football players to join in to help them with their football careers and then not have to cut weight to do so(which a lot will not do). Also with 15 that gives us off number and makes it easier if there is a tie and actually makes it less likely for a tie and criteria to have to take effect. 

also by the way Jojo and Carson would have won about any weight class they entered from 106-120 (since you get another Uhorchuk brother at 126 lol. 

also after looking at the brackets at Beast, 106 had 14 byes built into its 14 man bracket, it takes until 215 to have that many again, so it’s not one of the largest, it’s just larger than those in higher heavier weights, maybe we could start making some smaller weights in the middle and start at 110 and it would all work out. 

Edited by cobrakid8

18 hours ago, Mason422 said:

I will give you some push back about 106. Look at all of the large national tourneys. 106 is full and 220/285 are the smallest brackets. You can never grow a sport by cutting weight classes. Just my opinion 

if you don’t believe me look up brackets at Ironman, beast of the East, escape the rock, super 32, NHSCA and you will see they are far more little guys in those brackets than big guys. 

Also those tournaments take place during or close to Football Season, most 200+ are also football players from my experience. 

Not saying that is a direct correlation, but the 285 from Alcoa last year could not travel because of football from my understanding.   

How many times do you see seniors wrestle under 120?  This is the only sport that caters towards smaller kids.  If you want to grow the sport, change the weight classes to something that would promote change.  In 2022, the average weight for a male high school student was 161lbs...  To me, I think that's an obvious sign that half of the weight classes should be under 161, half should be over 161...  None of these options are even close to that.

9 hours ago, lumberjackmak said:

Also those tournaments take place during or close to Football Season, most 200+ are also football players from my experience. 

Not saying that is a direct correlation, but the 285 from Alcoa last year could not travel because of football from my understanding.   

Not the ones I am referencing. Beast of the East in Delaware, Escape the rock in PA, Ironman in Ohio all take place in late December and January. NHSCA that will take place in March will be the same way as will Fargo be in July.  Little guys will be full and the larger guys will have the smallest bracket. 

Not trying to argue it but a quick search at the brackets and you will see what I am talking about. I have been to them all and have seen the brackets for myself. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 6:22 PM, Mason422 said:

Not the ones I am referencing. Beast of the East in Delaware, Escape the rock in PA, Ironman in Ohio all take place in late December and January. NHSCA that will take place in March will be the same way as will Fargo be in July.  Little guys will be full and the larger guys will have the smallest bracket. 

Not trying to argue it but a quick search at the brackets and you will see what I am talking about. I have been to them all and have seen the brackets for myself. 

but again as said before, how many of those actually wrestled those weights during the season and finished the season? Again Jojo wrestled 106 at big tournaments even now, but wrestled at 113 and won at 113. Same with Carson at 120, at big tournaments he drops to 113 but during season he wrestled at 120 and won there. So yeah the brackets seem to be more stacked there at the lower weights but is that because kids are actually cutting the weight there for an easier bracket and it only being a weight cut of a few days here and there? And also a big bracket doesnt mean its tougher competition, it just means there are a lot of kids in the bracket a smaller bracket top to bottom can be a much much tougher bracket to get through. Also 106 is the HIGHEST forfeited class in the country(actually the lowest weight class for any states that don't wrestle at our same weight classes) with 113 as the second highest forfeited. Also 106 does nothing for a high school senior if they want to wrestle college, I mean the lowest there is 125 of course.

Edited by cobrakid8

Nope. You will have to contact your TSSAA rep and convince them of your case and hope they will listen to you and fight for you.

Best of luck with that.

I would be surprised if any of them have any knowledge about wrestling, or for that matter, would give it too much thought or care. I begged my rep a few years ago to vote no on adding the sectional tournament and we all know how that turned out. 

• Sad 1