Best 1/2A team ever?

TheBlueprint

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

I agree they completely dominated every opponent that season but do you really believe they could compete against teams within the last 35 years?  Linemen back in that day were the same size as RB now a days

I agree.Probably tougher back then but the athletes and size differences probably couldn't even compete just to be honest. 

23 hours ago, Swipes said:

I agree they completely dominated every opponent that season but do you really believe they could compete against teams within the last 35 years?  Linemen back in that day were the same size as RB now a days

There were some teams with some big fast lines back then.  I know in the late 70s and early 80s the Alcoa lines and the Rockwood lines were huge. 

2 hours ago, rlh said:

There were some teams with some big fast lines back then.  I know in the late 70s and early 80s the Alcoa lines and the Rockwood lines were huge. 

I’m sure there might have been some but  being big or huge doesn’t mean they are as huge, strong, and fast as kids now a days with the training that goes in today compared to back then.  Now those older generation team were tough as fire snot don’t get me wrong but when I can walk into Gus’s Deli on the strip in Knoxville and see former UT teams from the 60’s and 70’s there is no comparison of size and speed that is like today.  You had O Linemen that were 185-220lbs on that UT roster in the 60’s. 

56 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I’m sure there might have been some but  being big or huge doesn’t mean they are as huge, strong, and fast as kids now a days with the training that goes in today compared to back then.  Now those older generation team were tough as fire snot don’t get me wrong but when I can walk into Gus’s Deli on the strip in Knoxville and see former UT teams from the 60’s and 70’s there is no comparison of size and speed that is like today.  You had O Linemen that were 185-220lbs on that UT roster in the 60’s. 

Got to agree. Heck I played in the late 00's and the game has changed so much since then! Kids are so much faster and bigger. When I played (1A) any given teams biggest kid was typically somewhere around 6'3" 280. Nowadays you have 3 of those on every dominant team. I played some darn good backs/skill position players. I can promise we never saw anyone as fast as a Marquez Taylor in my day. 

On 3/30/2023 at 11:25 AM, orngnblk said:

I agree.Probably tougher back then but the athletes and size differences probably couldn't even compete just to be honest. 

Being in the neighborhood surely you remember a back up that way by the name of Albert Davis. I saw him in person in 67 I believe. I haven't seen a player  that could come close to him since in High School.  I don't think it's the speed of size difference but rather the advancement of the game. 

15 minutes ago, team69 said:

Being in the neighborhood surely you remember a back up that way by the name of Albert Davis. I saw him in person in 67 I believe. I haven't seen a player  that could come close to him since in High School.  I don't think it's the speed of size difference but rather the advancement of the game. 

Yes I have heard stories of him a man among boys and his offspring were great also.You make a great point after thinking about the whole picture. 

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

The science, training, medicine etc. is what has changed the game more than anything that factors into it.  Speed and quickness is speed and quickness regardless of the era. Tom Brady wouldn't have played to 45 if he were getting tackled by guys like Jack Youngblood, Hack Saw Reynolds, Fred Dryer, Reggie White, LT etc.  That's just the defensive side of the ball.

29 minutes ago, rlh said:

The science, training, medicine etc. is what has changed the game more than anything that factors into it.  Speed and quickness is speed and quickness regardless of the era. Tom Brady wouldn't have played to 45 if he were getting tackled by guys like Jack Youngblood, Hack Saw Reynolds, Fred Dryer, Reggie White, LT etc.  That's just the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with the first sentence.  The 2nd sentence about Speed and quickness is speed and quickness regardless of the era kinda contradicts your first sentence.  With Technology and Science we have learned how to train to get more Speed and Quickness.  Did you have guys that just had natural speed and quickness back in the day? Yes, but now a days there are more players with the Speed and Quickness because of the science and specific training just for it and you can see that at NFL combine results. (You have DE running sub 4.4 laser times now)

I agree Brady definitely wouldn't have made it playing to 45 if he played in that era because it was a lot more violent back then where you could hit a QB, rules were different, and your equipment wasn't as protective as it is today.  Now you get a penalty if you look at them wrong  

Edited by Swipes