Schools needing games

fredjones

Just now, theawesomebro said:

that's going to be a fun game!!  will they come here next year?

oakland vs alcoa would need to be a saturday night game!

Hoping that's the case since Oakland is traveling. Not a bad drive, suburb of Indianapolis. Their QB is getting some good college offers

I'd actually be ok with a hypothetical Oakland-Alcoa matchup if it's at a neutral site on a Friday. I understand the advantage of having it Saturday, but making it a neutral site puts no burden on either side to make the whole trip. Maybe 2 years from now

1 minute ago, MidTennFootball said:

Hoping that's the case since Oakland is traveling. Not a bad drive, suburb of Indianapolis. Their QB is getting some good college offers

I'd actually be ok with a hypothetical Oakland-Alcoa matchup if it's at a neutral site on a Friday. I understand the advantage of having it Saturday, but making it a neutral site puts no burden on either side to make the whole trip. Maybe 2 years from now

TN Tech on a Friday would be a good midway point. They have hosted the Cookeville/Upperman game several times.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:05 AM, fredjones said:

Bartlett---dates--9/22, 10/13

Germantown---dates--8/18, 8/25, 10/13

Howard---dates--8/25, 10/13

Maryville---dates--9/15, 10/6, 10/20

Memphis Central---10/13, 10/20

Oakland---dates--8/25, 10/6

Science Hill---dates--9/8, 9/15, 10/13

Southwind---dates--9/1, 10/13

Whitehaven---dates--8/18, 10/6, 10/13

Remove Bartlett and Oakland from the list.  They have 10 games.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, MidTennFootball said:

Why would you really want to play the game at a neutral site?  This is high school and the distance between Alcoa and Oakland is not that far.  Kids need to learn how to travel and play on the road.  If you are worrying about parents being able to make the trip use a 7:30pm start time and do a home and away series.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Why would you really want to play the game at a neutral site?  This is high school and the distance between Alcoa and Oakland is not that far.  Kids need to learn how to travel and play on the road.  If you are worrying about parents being able to make the trip use a 7:30pm start time and do a home and away series.

Because TTU can hold more people. Parents are gonna be there no matter where it's at, but a game of that magnitude deserves to have as many people as possible. By making it neutral you make it a possibility for fans of both sides instead of just the home team.

On a trip like that, programs should go in style so I doubt the kids care, but as someone that has made the 6 hour round trip to blount county and back, not exactly what I have in mind for the regular season. Center Grove is different bc even if they do honor their end of the home and home, this will probably be the only time Oakland plays in that area

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Because TTU can hold more people. Parents are gonna be there no matter where it's at, but a game of that magnitude deserves to have as many people as possible. By making it neutral you make it a possibility for fans of both sides instead of just the home team.

On a trip like that, programs should go in style so I doubt the kids care, but as someone that has made the 6 hour round trip to blount county and back, not exactly what I have in mind for the regular season. Center Grove is different bc even if they do honor their end of the home and home, this will probably be the only time Oakland plays in that area

So more people are going to drive to Cookeville to see 2 teams from different areas play than either would draw as a home team?  

Did you ever see state championship games in Cookeville?   Even those crowds weren't all that.  

Regular season game should be home and home. 

And Oakland to Alcoa is more like 4 hours on a bus, not 6. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

So more people are going to drive to Cookeville to see 2 teams from different areas play than either would draw as a home team?  

Did you ever see state championship games in Cookeville?   Even those crowds weren't all that.  

Regular season game should be home and home. 

And Oakland to Alcoa is more like 4 hours on a bus, not 6. 

You missed the entire point of his post.  He Said " Because TTU can hold more people. Parents are gonna be there no matter where it's at, but a game of that magnitude deserves to have as many people as possible. By making it neutral you make it a possibility for fans of both sides instead of just the home team."  You think if Oakland did a Home and Home Series that everyone that wanted to see that game could fit into Alcoa's or Oaklands Stadium?  I sure don't.  You must have miss this part too "On a trip like that, programs should go in style so I doubt the kids care, but as someone that has made the 6 hour round trip to blount county and back, not exactly what I have in mind for the regular season." You really think they can make a round trip on a bus in 4 hrs when directions from Oakland to Alcoa is 2hr 43min in a car?  You must have a bus with a Hemi V8 supercharged going 150 mph all the way there and back to make it round trip in 4 hrs :roflol:

42 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You missed the entire point of his post.  He Said " Because TTU can hold more people. Parents are gonna be there no matter where it's at, but a game of that magnitude deserves to have as many people as possible. By making it neutral you make it a possibility for fans of both sides instead of just the home team."  You think if Oakland did a Home and Home Series that everyone that wanted to see that game could fit into Alcoa's or Oaklands Stadium?  I sure don't.  You must have miss this part too "On a trip like that, programs should go in style so I doubt the kids care, but as someone that has made the 6 hour round trip to blount county and back, not exactly what I have in mind for the regular season." You really think they can make a round trip on a bus in 4 hrs when directions from Oakland to Alcoa is 2hr 43min in a car?  You must have a bus with a Hemi V8 supercharged going 150 mph all the way there and back to make it round trip in 4 hrs :roflol:

It's just under 3 hours drive time in a car from Alcoa to Murfreesboro, 185 miles. Add an hour for bus travel and it's 4.  

And, no, I didn't miss the point. 

I don't care how big the venue, that game wouldn't draw a bigger crowd at a neutral site like Tech than it would at either home stadium.  As much as we all like high-school football, it's just not that big of a draw for those with no ties to either side, and certainly not enough to drive a couple of hours after most people have worked on Friday. 

A nice pie in the sky idea, but just not based on reasonable nor rational thinking. 

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

It's just under 3 hours drive time in a car from Alcoa to Murfreesboro, 185 miles. Add an hour for bus travel and it's 4.  

And, no, I didn't miss the point. 

I don't care how big the venue, that game wouldn't draw a bigger crowd at a neutral site like Tech than it would at either home stadium.  As much as we all like high-school football, it's just not that big of a draw for those with no ties to either side, and certainly not enough to drive a couple of hours after most people have worked on Friday. 

A nice pie in the sky idea, but just not based on reasonable nor rational thinking. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=oakland+high+school+to+alcoa+high+school&sxsrf=APwXEdfh3JZH7BPYfkxZdhxMIdEZ4mC-ow%3A1680125271150&source=hp&ei=V60kZML1BJCsqtsPy-KQ0A8&iflsig=AOEireoAAAAAZCS7Z-GAqrdQjCNkE1XQtwObo84DZY0P&oq=Oakl&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMYATIECCMQJzIECCMQJzIECCMQJzIOCC4QigUQxwEQrwEQkQIyCAgAEIoFEJECMg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARDRAzILCC4QgwEQsQMQgAQyEAgAEIAEEBQQhwIQsQMQgwEyBQgAEIAEMgsIABCKBRCxAxCDAToRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QM6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoKCC4QxwEQrwEQJzoNCC4QgAQQFBCHAhCxAzoLCC4QigUQsQMQgwE6CAgAEIAEELEDOgUILhCABDoHCCMQ6gIQJzoLCC4QgAQQxwEQrwE6EAguEIAEEBQQhwIQxwEQrwFQAFiZGGDPImgCcAB4AIABiAGIAb4FkgEDMC42mAEAoAEBsAEK&sclient=gws-wiz

It's 2hrs 43 minutes via I-40 and 166 miles one way.  The poster said 6 hrs ROUND trip not one way thats the point you missed, it's ok to admit it.

You have your opinion and I have mine that I believe more people would be at Tech than can even fit in either stadium.  I also think your not giving enough credit of the people it would draw that just love high school football and seeing two of the top public high schools teams compete against each other.

• Like 1