Top 20 Programs In The State (all divisions)

cowcatcherII

1 hour ago, Ummmno said:

So watering down a state title is going to grow the sport in our state...noted.

That doesn't water anything down at all.  The same kid who is gonna get beat at Howard High School probably gets beat at state.  BUT he at least gets to be a state qualifier for his school.  Which in turn helps the school program gain traction in their efforts to grow and become more mainstream.

Likewise, and more impactful,  the same team that is going to get beat at the sectional duals gets beat at state - BUT, at least their program and ALL of their kids get to experience going to the state tournament, which again, helps bring notoriety and attention to wrestling in schools where we need to see growth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rasslinking said:

So more kids in a bracket is watering it down?

Noted

Just an example:

Pennsylvania:  population 13 million; two divisions for wrestling and 472 high schools offer wrestling. 

Tennessee:  population 7 million; three divisions for wrestling and 182 high schools offer wrestling. 

Does rewarding mediocrity and allowing more kids to compete in the state tournament really grow the sport of wrestling?  I would like to see the scientific data that supports this philosophy.  Did "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" actually help the students and improve education, absolutely not.  Politicians and educators in the United States have been playing the social experiment game of not wanting to push kids very hard and making everyone happy since the early 70's and it has not and will not work.  Wrestling is a sport that kids absolutely earn what they receive but there are no guarantees that if they outwork their opponents, they will be successful.  Working hard for a goal and falling just short of that goal is not a bad thing!

Edited by cbg

21 minutes ago, cbg said:

Just an example:

Pennsylvania:  population 13 million; two divisions for wrestling and 472 high schools offer wrestling. 

Tennessee:  population 7 million; three divisions for wrestling and 182 high schools offer wrestling. 

Does rewarding mediocrity and allowing more kids to compete in the state tournament really grow the sport of wrestling?  I would like to see the scientific data that supports this philosophy.  Did "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" actually help the students and improve education, absolutely not.  Politicians and educators in the United States have been playing the social experiment game of not wanting to push kids very hard and making everyone happy since the early 70's and it has not and will not work.  Wrestling is a sport that kids absolutely earn what they receive but there are no guarantees that if they outwork their opponents, they will be successful.  Working hard for a goal and falling just short of that goal is not a bad thing!

We aren’t PA ha…. Ludacris to compare our situation to theirs.

Inclusion of small school has unquestionably helped the growth in TN…. more exposure…..more success….  which ultimately shows kids that their skill set is good enough to continue into college at some level.

This is no different. 

• Upvote 2

Having a small school division and now a likely small school d2 division dilutes the accomplishments of the state champs of big school and d2. 

In the history of the small school div state tournament there have been a handful of kids who could have won a title at the bigger division. Maybe. 

There should be one title, one tournament, one state champ in each weight. That's it. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, cbg said:

Just an example:

I don't mind this train of thought but I see both sides of the coin fair isn't always equal one division would be cool seeing the best go at it for titles. Then again from a business model it won't happen less representation means less tickets sold TSSAA is a business. Only true wrestling fans would by tickets to see teams they don't rep and there are some but not enough fans for TSSAA to put the state back into one division. The divisions we got now are healthier then they have been in the past with the even split in public school. D2 likes to walk to the beat of their own drum they have prep nationals to look at. Putting the state into one division may take that away from them going because it take longer to do post season and the  state tournament so I doubt they are pro for reforming that. Breaking the state further down doesn't make much sense ether because of our states populations isn't like say Georgia's.  Now the sectionals make the state tournament smaller for each division and I don't have a problem with that ether if they would shorten the state to an two day tournament. TSSAA hasn't  done that because that may cut into profit... so with that in mind cut the sectionals out so that we have a reason to actually be there for three days lol. Just my personal thoughts may be wrong on some of it but since everyone is sharing thought I'd weight in haha.  

38 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Having a small school division and now a likely small school d2 division dilutes the accomplishments of the state champs of big school and d2. 

In the history of the small school div state tournament there have been a handful of kids who could have won a title at the bigger division. Maybe. 

There should be one title, one tournament, one state champ in each weight. That's it. 

One state champion should be crowned in all individual sports!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ummmno said:

Show me where the asterisk is next to Clevelands state title this year because Halls won small school.  

The people complaining about this are the same ones who, if it were football, would be talking about how a hard hit is just part of it... back in my day... take his head off... and protecting kids from CTE is just an excuse to make kids soft.

4 hours ago, Ummmno said:

So watering down a state title is going to grow the sport in our state...noted.

Number of kids who will go out for the sport because they feel they might have success at the State level = some.

Number of kids who don't go out for the sport because they feel a state title is watered down= none.

Noted.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wssm said:

Number of kids who will go out for the sport because they feel they might have success at the State level = some.

Number of kids who don't go out for the sport because they feel a state title is watered down= none.

Noted.

I wish I could upvote this more than once.  I do not believe that it waters anything down, at all.  But even if it did,  I dont care. The benefits FAR outweigh that.