Jump to content

FORREST 2023


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BigCW said:

curious to know if all Forrest football fans are as vocal as GF and Salem or is that just for Coacht? BTW, it is very entertaining, but do you guys think it would spook off a coach from applying?  

I doubt any competent coach gives two hoots about what's on this site. The bar is so low,  if a new coach comes in and runs an offense that puts the right players on the field and calls a play before the play clock expires he will get the keys to the city and everyone on here will be tired of hearing how great he is. I will be the happiest person on the T to log in every Saturday next season & tell everyone how awesome our new coach is and highlight our players. 

I've tried to stay matter of fact and not get personal. It's not 2nd guessing if you type it in the summer and the coach does the opposite months later and your 3-7 or 4-7. I only detail what happened in game situations or what kid isn't playing but this comes off as bashing. I generally don't get negative until the season goes off the rails. In 2021 the defense was praised all season and more games than not in 2023.  The offense was given credit in 2022. There just hasn't been a decent full team effort at Forrest other than 2019.  The General is much more colorful in his criticisms than I. His recap from Loretto  a few years back is a must read.  Anyone who can spell football on the first try will probably agree with 85% of what we type. We have opposing fans question decisions by forrest after 1 game and we watched this for 70 games. 

 

Edited by Salem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BigCW said:

curious to know if all Forrest football fans are as vocal as GF and Salem or is that just for Coacht? 

BTW, it is very entertaining, but do you guys think it would spook off a coach from applying?  I imagine the previous coach had tough skin or didn't read it or maybe cried himself to sleep each night. LOL

Warranted or not, all teams have their critic's. You can hear it at the grocery, gas station, barber shop, ect... and most small towns have their own version of "the liar's table" at the country store or cafe'. Like I said, no matter how competent (or not) the coach is, there'll be naysayers and fans who think coach is top notch arguing about what kid would be better or what play should have been called. Truth is that coachT is just a sample of real life, and if a coach makes life decisions based on rumor and grumbling, he was not confident in his ability to be successful to begin with.

  It may look like General and Salem are incorrigible critics who thrive on being negative, but I've seen them time after time compliment the players (win or lose) for their effort and accomplishments... and on occasion even the coaching staff for good decisions, even small ones.

  The truth (IMO) is that they're just Forrest fans who only want the best for their program, and have become more agitated and vocal because the changes were long overdue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Warranted or not, all teams have their critic's. You can hear it at the grocery, gas station, barber shop, ect... and most small towns have their own version of "the liar's table" at the country store or cafe'. Like I said, no matter how competent (or not) the coach is, there'll be naysayers and fans who think coach is top notch arguing about what kid would be better or what play should have been called. Truth is that coachT is just a sample of real life, and if a coach makes life decisions based on rumor and grumbling, he was not confident in his ability to be successful to begin with.

  It may look like General and Salem are incorrigible critics who thrive on being negative, but I've seen them time after time compliment the players (win or lose) for their effort and accomplishments... and on occasion even the coaching staff for good decisions, even small ones.

  The truth (IMO) is that they're just Forrest fans who only want the best for their program, and have become more agitated and vocal because the changes were long overdue.

Terrific stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, OriginalWishBone said:

Has the OC that started the season applying? I heard him an HC butted heads and he left first or second game of the season. 

 

Names aren't being released but was told over 30 people formally applied. We had a handful of players after the 2022 season on the fence about playing or staying at Forrest. Players were promised a new offense. We got a new OC in the spring.  Most liked the new guy and his system and most everyone stayed. This hire was the single biggest factor that kept the team together. He was supposed to have full control of the offense. We looked decent running a spread offense and the players were optimistic. He was undermined after the first scrimmage (against a tough Macon County) and fired after week 1. Dumb decision. The players were duped and got another season of making chicken salad with chicken excrement. That move was one of the factors that cost the HC his the job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Salem said:

Names aren't being released but was told over 30 people formally applied. We had a handful of players after the 2022 season on the fence about playing or staying at Forrest. Players were promised a new offense. We got a new OC in the spring.  Most liked the new guy and his system and most everyone stayed. This hire was the single biggest factor that kept the team together. He was supposed to have full control of the offense. We looked decent running a spread offense and the players were optimistic. He was undermined after the first scrimmage (against a tough Macon County) and fired after week 1. Dumb decision. The players were duped and got another season of making chicken salad with chicken excrement. That move was one of the factors that cost the HC his the job.

Good read. Didn't know the working parts of why coach was relieved of his position, but your post reads like a script from a bad B movie about a coach's ego standing in the team's way of winning. Pat Summitt was probably the best coach in any sport of my generation (if not she's on the short list), but with the unquestioned respect of anyone who knew anything about basketball and several championships under her belt, she set out to learn the triangle offense from others who she (despite not approaching her status) felt had a firm grasp of how to teach it. Bottom line was she would do anything to win, even to the point of asking for help in order to "keep up with the game". Sounds like Stephenson was afraid that the OC just might get some credit for improving on what he was doing.

  Water under the bridge at this point, but going forward I do hope that you folks get a good one...kids and fans deserve a little optimism past week one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


  • Recent Posts

    • Well I believe they got class of 2024* Blake Heckmann  And class of 2023* Cal Grubbs mixed up in with class of 2023 Army DL commit Caleb Graham whom played both sides of the play.
    • Kudos!!!  Memphis area.... https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/04/16/tssaa-wrestling-memphis-2024-all-metro-teams-drake-bowers/73210944007/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTUzNTUwMzA0NDc1NzAyOTQ0ODUyGjc5MTUyZTk3YzgwYmMzNDA6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AOvVaw39Z_qjD5p4t5Pa02CZL32l Tennesseean .... https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/04/16/tennessee-high-school-wrestling-2024-tennessean-boys-girls-all-midstate-teams/73303938007/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTcyMTIxMjAxMTY2NjM2NDkwNDMyGjQ2MjM2Y2MzNDc0NWQ1NGM6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AOvVaw2t4JmfN58irWicgGwJ1UoW Mid-State.... https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://mainstreetmediatn.com/articles/blackman/tswa-unveils-2023-24-all-state-boys-and-girls-wrestling-teams/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTcwMTU5ODc4NjA4NjAzMDg3NDgyGjY1ZDMxNDI1MjQ3NTU0Y2E6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AOvVaw280dXzrGJVtjq3tkV69SDe Heading to Olimpics.... https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://heraldcourier.com/sports/wrestling-former-king-university-grappler-sarah-hildebrandt-makes-olympics-for-second-time/article_54305eb6-ff7b-11ee-89b9-f3296bd20ec6.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTcxMDA3MDE4MjUxMjY4Njk4NzEyGjVjYWU1Y2EwYjc3MjQ5ODI6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AOvVaw1J7AbKY8lDeVe2HKWC2BYW
    • You defend your little buddy bsatt like it’s the end of the world just as much. Why don’t you go on to Upperman with him this summer… you know he is your “BEST MAN”. 
    • No sir. Not staying at East. But definitely not going to Elizabethton. 
    • Football and basketball coaches should not be making 100,000 not teaching any classes unless their winning state championship every year lol
×
  • Create New...