Maryville\Alcoa, Still Biggest Rivalry in Tennessee?

On 7/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, howdoitknow said:

Alcoa actually wins championships nowadays.

Maryville has to create fake championships from the 1960s in order to feel relevant.  

Maryville can’t beat Oakland to get to a championship because Kevin Creasy came to the Boro took the keys to MHS shortly afterwards.  

Maryville has won 17 championships under the playoff system. Only Alcoa has won more but head to head Maryville owns a 66-25 lead in the series. That means Alcoa would have to win 42 straight to overtake Maryville  in the series. I would be over 100 years old if that happened. What cracks me up is a guy from Cheatham County jumps on the Alcoa bandwagon. I guess since Cheatham County hasn't never won anything you need to find someone else to root for. You have no affiliation to Alcoa but you are their biggest cheerleader.  It reminds me of all these Tennessee born and bred people jumping on the Alabama bandwagon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

On 7/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, HTV said:

I've been to multiple Maryville/Alcoa and DB/Science Hill games.  

Hard to imagine any public schools games being any bigger.  Not saying there aren't some rivalries on that level, but I don't see how any can be bigger.  

Had an opportunity to see a Baylor/McCallie game, too.  I haven't seen the Nashville area privates play their big rivals, but again, hard to imagine a bigger one than Baylor/McCallie.  

There is nothing in Middle TN like Baylor/McCallie.  MBA-Father Ryan used to be on that level, but it all really changed in the 90s when Ryan moved from Elliston Place to Norwood and the two weren't really neighbors anymore.  Then JP2 opened, then Ensworth opened, and new rivalries formed.  MBA-Ensworth is getting there but still relatively new.  FRHS-JP2 pretty cool with the Bishops Cup, but also pretty new.  MBA-BA, I don't know....just been to too many of those with the stands half full.  Was a great atmosphere last year at BA.

Maryville/Alcoa--two of the most successful teams in state history for many years, long standing rivalry, neighbor v. neighbor, 100 meetings...hard to top that.  MY quibble is just you aren't really playing for anything but bragging rights as they are in different classes...

Williamson County has some good rivalries....feels like Brentwood/Ravenwood "Battle of the Woods" is becoming a big-time rivalry.  Back in the day the Sumner County rivalries were awesome....Beech/Gallatin/Hendersonville.

6 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

Maryville/Alcoa--two of the most successful teams in state history for many years, long standing rivalry, neighbor v. neighbor, 100 meetings...hard to top that.  MY quibble is just you aren't really playing for anything but bragging rights as they are in different classes...

It’s strange, but the fact that it is “only” bragging rights makes it cool. Both teams can still reach their goals regardless of the outcome. Don’t underestimate bragging rights when there is family involved!

11 hours ago, strongx said:

It’s strange, but the fact that it is “only” bragging rights makes it cool. Both teams can still reach their goals regardless of the outcome. Don’t underestimate bragging rights when there is family involved!

...........and how interconnected the two City's are. Hence, the fact the Library sits on the two Cities line a is called "Alcoa-Maryville" or Maryville -Alcoa Library" 

3 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

...........and how interconnected the two City's are. Hence, the fact the Library sits on the two Cities line a is called "Alcoa-Maryville" or Maryville -Alcoa Library" 

Most people don't really know where the line is. Over in Plainfield, off of Lincoln Road, the trash cans change color from green to maroon in the middle of some streets. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Most people don't really know where the line is. Over in Plainfield, off of Lincoln Road, the trash cans change color from green to maroon in the middle of some streets. 

Blunt County's 38th Parallel?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy, love relooking at this topic. 

I'm still looking for the history, even if it exists, of possible bad blood between the two, more than winning. There is a documentary about The Battle of Pistol Creek but even with over a dozen streaming services, it still does not work on any of them...it looks really well put together too. 

Having a good friend from the area, he seemed to discuss that Alcoa was much more blue collar, whereas Maryville was much more white-collar, or bosses of blue-collar people in Alcoa. I also know that both Alcoa and Maryville have experienced quite the growth with new neighborhoods and new money. Just seeing if there is more to it for my own personal work. If anyone could elaborate on it, would be great, it's very possible it's just a friendly rivalry, making bigger deal out of nothing. Thanks!

2 hours ago, OutlawAngel said:

Been busy, love relooking at this topic. 

I'm still looking for the history, even if it exists, of possible bad blood between the two, more than winning. There is a documentary about The Battle of Pistol Creek but even with over a dozen streaming services, it still does not work on any of them...it looks really well put together too. 

Having a good friend from the area, he seemed to discuss that Alcoa was much more blue collar, whereas Maryville was much more white-collar, or bosses of blue-collar people in Alcoa. I also know that both Alcoa and Maryville have experienced quite the growth with new neighborhoods and new money. Just seeing if there is more to it for my own personal work. If anyone could elaborate on it, would be great, it's very possible it's just a friendly rivalry, making bigger deal out of nothing. Thanks!

The two towns share a common border which means lives are intertwined. It’s strictly bragging rights among family, co-workers and church members. There has been ALOT of good players in those games for a long time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Based on the published Daily Times Football special "2023 Prep Football Preview", Alcoa has 82 players. Maryville 90.

With the Game being played later in the Season, week 9, I think the Depth and Heat will be less a factor for 3A Alcoa playing 6A Maryville.

Alcoa vs Maryville

So the "3A" kids are more affected by the heat?