2023 Union City Tornadoes

Tornado82

47 minutes ago, Sherdog said:

This not a shot at the school but serious question (inside city limits)

Union City population 11,100

Martin 10,700

Paris 10,500

Where are all the kids at? There's no way Obion Central is taking that many. That means that .03 % are in high school. That has to be the worst numbers in the state are uc schools that bad.

There are three highschools they can go to Obion, South Fulton or Union City. As far as numbers go I have no clue where they go but I can tell you they are not at UC. And as far as the school system, UC has a great teaching staff and are at the  top in the state. Look it up.

15 hours ago, Sherdog said:

This not a shot at the school but serious question (inside city limits)

Union City population 11,100

Martin 10,700

Paris 10,500

Where are all the kids at? There's no way Obion Central is taking that many. That means that .03 % are in high school. That has to be the worst numbers in the state are uc schools that bad.

If that many going to Central,don't see why UC doesn't close the school down and let them all go to county schools.

1 minute ago, ManOfMillions said:

Well, if they had 4A students in the school they would be 4A. Remember they have to report enrollment numbers ever 2 years. 

Thank you. The numbers don’t lie. A lot of kids in Obion County go to Central because of the Union City academic standards. These kids play their heart out and as far as being better than they are, I’m pretty sure they have been pretty darn good for the past decade or two. 

16 minutes ago, Tornado82 said:

Thank you. The numbers don’t lie. A lot of kids in Obion County go to Central because of the Union City academic standards. These kids play their heart out and as far as being better than they are, I’m pretty sure they have been pretty darn good for the past decade or two. 

You could look at Milan for an example. They are similar in town size to UC and Milan is 2A. Ask @BIGPURPLEMACHINE, he knows the enrollment ins and outs better than anyone else I know. 

47 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Well, if they had 4A students in the school they would be 4A. Remember they have to report enrollment numbers ever 2 years. 

You’re missing the point. Yes, the town has a large population. However, due to a no-zoning rule in Obion County, they are able to dictate their numbers and allow/not allow students for certain reasons. If you don’t benefit the school academically or athletically than you are deferred to another school in the county. I thought this was common knowledge of UC!

• Like 1

Just now, TheLongestYard said:

You’re missing the point. Yes, the town has a large population. However, due to a no-zoning rule in Obion County, they are able to dictate their numbers and allow/not allow students for certain reasons. If you don’t benefit the school academically or athletically than you are deferred to another school in the county. I thought this was common knowledge of UC!

Yes they can dictate who they take but I have not saw to many denied unless the have been trouble previously and tried to come back. After the Central Basketball team issue I’m sure we will be back in 2A in 2 years. The numbers will rise.

12 minutes ago, TheLongestYard said:

9 minutes ago, Tornado82 said:

Yes they can dictate who they take but I have not saw to many denied unless the have been trouble previously and tried to come back. After the Central Basketball team issue I’m sure we will be back in 2A in 2 years. The numbers will rise.

Well that sure changes things for me (not that I matter at all)... selected enrollment is equal to the advantage that the privates have over the publics. Been a longtime supporter of the Tornado's position on the matter, even though I have admitted that I couldn't envision how a school that attractive to parents in a city that size wouldn't have a larger student body. Going to have to swap horses mid-stream on this one.

https://www.tornadotouch.net/ourpages/auto/2019/11/1/99270629882812540581/6.204 Non-Resident Students.pdf

So because Union City Schools, like 90+% of the school systems in this state, is an open zone school, they can accept students from outside of their school zone if the above criteria is met. The link is directly from their school board policy. The vast majority of systems in this state have the same policy. To say UC picks and chooses who they want to admit sounds ridiculous. If you have proof that this is happening than you should take it to the UC school board and the TN comptrollers office. Because the numbers of students controls the funding and some people would get in a heap of trouble. People don’t need to just spew off at the mouth. You got proof do something about it. 

16 hours ago, mrbigster said:

If that many going to Central,don't see why UC doesn't close the school down and let them all go to county schools.

I know and work with people from the union city area they do NOT want their kids going to union city they send them to obion