2023 Union City Tornadoes

Tornado82

3 hours ago, TheLongestYard said:

You’re missing the point. Yes, the town has a large population. However, due to a no-zoning rule in Obion County, they are able to dictate their numbers and allow/not allow students for certain reasons. If you don’t benefit the school academically or athletically than you are deferred to another school in the county. I thought this was common knowledge of UC!

So if they don't benefit UC, they'll ship them down to Obion Central? And Obion Central's award is they're the smallest 4A school in the state for the second consecutive classification... They were the smallest 4A school in the 2021-23 cycle, and they're the smallest school again in 4A for this 2023-25 cycle.

What @Sherdog wants to know is this:

South Fulton's enrollment went from 180 students in the previous cycle, to 186 students in the current cycle.

Obion Central's enrollment went from 762 students in the previous cycle, to 751 students in the current cycle.

Union City's enrollment went from 422 students in the previous cycle, to 356 students in the current cycle. 

So, where did the 66 students go? 

6 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

So if they don't benefit UC, they'll ship them down to Obion Central? And Obion Central's award is they're the smallest 4A school in the state for the second consecutive classification... They were the smallest 4A school in the 2021-23 cycle, and they're the smallest school again in 4A for this 2023-25 cycle.

What @Sherdog wants to know is this:

South Fulton's enrollment went from 180 students in the previous cycle, to 186 students in the current cycle.

Obion Central's enrollment went from 762 students in the previous cycle, to 751 students in the current cycle.

Union City's enrollment went from 422 students in the previous cycle, to 356 students in the current cycle. 

So, where did the 66 students go? 

Good question

Jesus I'll be glad when we get reclassified in 2 years to stop this whining. We have hovered around the cutoff for the entire decade and a half I have lived in Union City. It so happened that we fell on the A side this time. If the TSSAA had not decided to do 2 year classification I don't think we would have dropped. Kids go back and forth from City to County from K-12 all the time. Central has 2 feeder schools on the edge of Union City city limit and run as many buses in town as city school does. But all the people arguing on this post knows this stuff. I have always assumed a reason why people would send their kid 10 miles away to the school system with the confederate flag on a sign out front rather than the better rated school system in the town where you live but that's not really a conversation for this board.

Now can we please just talk about football

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

https://www.tornadotouch.net/ourpages/auto/2019/11/1/99270629882812540581/6.204 Non-Resident Students.pdf

So because Union City Schools, like 90+% of the school systems in this state, is an open zone school, they can accept students from outside of their school zone if the above criteria is met. The link is directly from their school board policy. The vast majority of systems in this state have the same policy. To say UC picks and chooses who they want to admit sounds ridiculous. If you have proof that this is happening than you should take it to the UC school board and the TN comptrollers office. Because the numbers of students controls the funding and some people would get in a heap of trouble. People don’t need to just spew off at the mouth. You got proof do something about it. 

This. Honestly, I did not understand it until I found out that most school systems have the exact same policy. Take a look at Crockett. I would bet 20% of the students there do not live in Crockett county. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

This. Honestly, I did not understand it until I found out that most school systems have the exact same policy. Take a look at Crockett. I would bet 20% of the students there do not live in Crockett county. 

That article talking about out of county students wanting to attend UC.Not city kids leaving for Central.And like earlier post said.Where did other 66 students go if Central and South Fulton had a decrease.Oh wait.I guess going to say at Westview? no wait.I think they at Lake Co.

Edited by mrbigster

On 8/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, ManOfMillions said:

Well, if they had 4A students in the school they would be 4A. Remember they have to report enrollment numbers ever 2 years. 

I don't care about your enrollment. What I'm saying is the Tornado's have their pick of all those athletes in a 12000 pop town.How many good football players that live in Union City are playing for Obion Central or South Fulton?

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

I don't care about your enrollment. What I'm saying is the Tornado's have their pick of all those athletes in a 12000 pop town.How many good football players that live in Union City are playing for Obion Central or South Fulton?

Considering a lot of the in the school come from the City I would expect a lot of the athletes on their sports teams do also. I know several kids who played  junior league or middle school  football ball for the city who are currently on the OC roster. The situation as you describe it doesn’t exist.

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

Go east and visit Alcoa. You are fighting a losing battle. You could take the exact comments from this forum and replace the names of UC to Alcoa and no one would notice. 

If, I lived in Obion county and my kid was a football player and would certainly want him to go to the better program with better facilities and coaches. It just is what it is. I live in Gibson county and if I wanted my kid to go-to Milan I could take him over there and enroll him. However, I like SGC and chose to keep my kids in that school system. 

From people I talk with  I think most see this larger Class A town and are frustrated they are in the same classification as say a Bruceton, Gleason, Greenfield, etc.   It is what it is but I see the frustration from smaller towns.  It’s a TSSAA issue more than a Union City issue.   In my opinion Union City, McKenzie, Huntingdon should all be 2A and Class A be more for the much smaller schools.  Each classification does not have to have same number of schools in each class.  TSSAA has some issues to fix I think we all know that.

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Go east and visit Alcoa. You are fighting a losing battle. You could take the exact comments from this forum and replace the names of UC to Alcoa and no one would notice. 

If, I lived in Obion county and my kid was a football player and would certainly want him to go to the better program with better facilities and coaches. It just is what it is. I live in Gibson county and if I wanted my kid to go-to Milan I could take him over there and enroll him. However, I like SGC and chose to keep my kids in that school system. 

This is exactly what I did. We live in Camden, but my son goes to Huntingdon and so will my daughter we she gets old enough. I can't comment on Camden's ability to teach or the in school atmosphere, but I graduated from Huntingdon so thats where I want my son and daughter to go. Was told it was perfectly fine, from the school board and the school. No zoning for the win! Plus they have the better football program.

7 minutes ago, 1983 said:

From people I talk with  I think most see this larger Class A town and are frustrated they are in the same classification as say a Bruceton, Gleason, Greenfield, etc.   It is what it is but I see the frustration from smaller towns.  It’s a TSSAA issue more than a Union City issue.   In my opinion Union City, McKenzie, Huntingdon should all be 2A and Class A be more for the much smaller schools.  Each classification does not have to have same number of schools in each class.  TSSAA has some issues to fix I think we all know that.

Personally I liked the tssaa proposal floating around at the end of last year. 5 classes and no team is classed with another of twice their enrollment or more. 

2 hours ago, Croppygenius said:

Tell me more about how they “have their pick” of the good players in the town?  Do they line them up and choose?  Do they have a committee that evaluates them??  What’s the process since they have their pick. People forget that there are roughly 19,000 people that live in Obion Co outside of Union City. Do Obion Co. Central and South Fulton have their pick of those?  And if so wouldn’t that be an unfair advantage since UC only has 12,000 to pick from??