The History of Players Transferring to "Better" Programs

OutlawAngel

On 7/30/2023 at 2:32 PM, REBELRON said:

All teams that are winning big get kids to transfer in. It's always been that way.

Not quite always Mr. Ron. I go back as far as 1980 and in the 80’s I can only recall 3 transfers off the top of my head to get in a better program. However, I wasn’t in your area in those days.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on what side of the transfer portal that you are on we now live in a mobile and microwave society and we will see even more transfers in the future.  I will continue to say that if kids would focus as much on academics as they do athletics we would see many of the Tennessee kids playing in the Ivy League.  Yes, it’s nice that some kids receive a scholarship offer from a power five school or even one of the directional state schools but it’s all about preparing one’s self for life after athletics.  Would someone have a better job opportunity after playing at one of the Ivy League schools, Rhodes, Sewanee or one of the local state schools?  Again, it’s not where one starts but where they finish.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BDURHAM said:

The real question is not when did it start, but when will recruiting stop in Tennessee high school athletics?

It's not going to stop, that's the reality now. What bothers me is when student athletes will pass one public high school, to attend another public high school 5-10 minutes further down the road. I think that's my biggest problem. However, schools are now going to an "open zone" so there's nothing I can do about it. 

Whatever rules the TSSAA has about preventing "recruiting" or new rules they're going to create, school systems are going to do everything it takes to find and create loopholes around the rules. With the new facility upgrades and money that school systems are investing into their athletes, you best believe they're going to do everything it takes to put a winning product on that field. And if the TSSAA aren't losing a dime in when it comes to their financials, why should they care?

13 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

It's not going to stop, that's the reality now. What bothers me is when student athletes will pass one public high school, to attend another public high school 5-10 minutes further down the road. I think that's my biggest problem. However, schools are now going to an "open zone" so there's nothing I can do about it. 

Whatever rules the TSSAA has about preventing "recruiting" or new rules they're going to create, school systems are going to do everything it takes to find and create loopholes around the rules. With the new facility upgrades and money that school systems are investing into their athletes, you best believe they're going to do everything it takes to put a winning product on that field. And if the TSSAA aren't losing a dime in when it comes to their financials, why should they care?

If you had a magic wand and became the overseer and director of Tennessee high school athletics, what would you do about recruiting? Nothing? Stop it? Allow it to happen?

And how would you define recruiting?

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Reeks with irony. 

Good for S-D. I think every school should turn in every other school and vice versa until every one has been turned in. Just flood the T$$AA with turning in coaches  and then get the media involved like they should be. The media always backs off of looking into these things because they are afraid they might not get to interview a HC or player if they piss someone off. HS football and HS sports when it comes to recruiting is just going to get worse The Media that covers college football are not afraid to report on illegal recruiting. But HS reporters just are fluff because they are afraid of losing access to coaches and players. They really want you to think HS sports are just pure competition and everybody is in it to help the players but in reality it can be really corrupt. For T$$AA to be effective they need offices in Kingsport or JC, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis or Jackson, in addition to their Hermitage/Nashville office but that will never happen.

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

Good for S-D. I think every school should turn in every other school and vice versa until every one has been turned in. Just flood the T$$AA with turning in coaches  and then get the media involved like they should be. The media always backs off of looking into these things because they are afraid they might not get to interview a HC or player if they piss someone off. HS football and HS sports when it comes to recruiting is just going to get worse The Media that covers college football are not afraid to report on illegal recruiting. But HS reporters just are fluff because they are afraid of losing access to coaches and players. They really want you to think HS sports are just pure competition and everybody is in it to help the players but in reality it can be really corrupt. For T$$AA to be effective they need offices in Kingsport or JC, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis or Jackson, in addition to their Hermitage/Nashville office but that will never happen.

Truth is it comes down to manpower. Print media is dying a slow death and TSSAA doesn't create the kind of revenue needed to justify satellite offices. If you provide hard proof of cheating/recruiting, a guarantee you a newspaper will run with it. TSSAA is made up of member schools, so if there is a legitimate complaint, they're in the best position to investigate.

You want to go after someone, go after the local education authorities that allow it to happen. Nobody wants to bc success on the football field is great for the community

5 hours ago, BDURHAM said:

If you had a magic wand and became the overseer and director of Tennessee high school athletics, what would you do about recruiting? Nothing? Stop it? Allow it to happen?

And how would you define recruiting?

Recruiting or transferring? Two different things. TSSAA doesn't have the manpower to have rules and expect all 300+ schools across our state to enforce all rules. Some schools cheat across all sports. That's part of it. Whatever rules they have, school systems have the leverage to find loopholes around it. TSSAA knows that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Truth is it comes down to manpower. Print media is dying a slow death and TSSAA doesn't create the kind of revenue needed to justify satellite offices. If you provide hard proof of cheating/recruiting, a guarantee you a newspaper will run with it. TSSAA is made up of member schools, so if there is a legitimate complaint, they're in the best position to investigate.

You want to go after someone, go after the local education authorities that allow it to happen. Nobody wants to bc success on the football field is great for the community

The TSSAA could have satellite offices if they so desired.  Most every business in the United States is allowing employees to work from home to some extent.  Some people are  working from home 100% of the time while others may be working 50% from home and 50% from the office.  The TSSAA could sell off the TSSAA offices on Lebanon Road in Hermitage, lease or purchase a much smaller office and allow the employees to work from home in East Tennessee, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Jackson and Nashville.  If done correctly this could be a win for both the TSSAA, their employees and the member schools.