AP 1A TOP 10 OCT 9, 2023

Southtowner

2 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

No it doesn't mean anything. I believe I stated that. West Carroll is having a good year. Enjoy it. Like I said I am glad WC is having a good year. They have 2 coaches who was at LC. One a player and the other a coach. I am willing to say you will lose one of them to Haywood County next year or the year after. Maybe both I know that Coach Puckett and Coach Dowland are good friends.

I appreciate the well wishes. I wouldn't doubt if they end up with Coach J Puckett sooner or later. I'm sure Haywood pays a lot better than we could ever dream. I'm also sure Morris makes his way back to his alma mater eventually as well. That's 1A ball. Can't expect a coach or coaches to stay 20 years anymore. All you can hope is they leave the program better than when they got here. I still don't understand what bigsters beef is though. Anytime we have success he seems to have an axe to grind. We're not even in the same region right now he can give it a rest. 

2 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I appreciate the well wishes. I wouldn't doubt if they end up with Coach J Puckett sooner or later. I'm sure Haywood pays a lot better than we could ever dream. I'm also sure Morris makes his way back to his alma mater eventually as well. That's 1A ball. Can't expect a coach or coaches to stay 20 years anymore. All you can hope is they leave the program better than when they got here. I still don't understand what bigsters beef is though. Anytime we have success he seems to have an axe to grind. We're not even in the same region right now he can give it a rest. 

It’s Bigster’s time of the month and he’s all out of Midol…

13 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I also don't understand what Bigster beef is. Imo he is just stirring the pot some. He likes do that. As for myself, I just like talking high school football. You are very correct now days coaches use 1A coaching jobs as a stepping stone. I often wish that Lake County would get a good coach that will stay for more than 5 to 7 years. You cannot blame any coach for taking a better payed job. What it would take for a coach to stay along period of time at a 1A school would be for that coach to have grown up in the county or town and wants to coach at the school he played for and attended. If I am looking at things right West Carroll will play McKenzie to decide the region champ. I think that is great for West Carroll and maybe this is the team that future West Carroll teams would look to and say they are the ones that put WC on the map in competing for region championships year and year out. All 1A schools go through down cycles. The good ones limit the number of years in between the good and a average years. I have pointed to this year and next to be considered down years for Lake County. In 2025 if everything holds together LC could possibly go on another run. LC should be able to make the playoffs the next 2 years and possibly win a playoff game. Not bad for a couple of down years. I just hope the Lake County faithful understand where the programs at right now and know that the future is bright. Good luck to your War Eagles the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, Sherdog said:

How many Mr.Football (1a) winners have won the award on a team that hasn't made the championship game? Just curious who has won it on a team that only made it just to the 2nd or 3rd round?

In 1994 James Cook for East Robertson won Mr. Football. East Robertson finished 10 and 2 that year and lost in 2nd rd of the playoffs to Lake County. That same year Lake County's Jewel Flowers rushed for 2848 yards and 48 tds and guided his team to the state championship game losing to So. Pitt 14 to 7. In the game he rushed for 178 yards and td. Jewel Flowers should have won the award but didn't. The 3 guys that up for the award that year was Lake County Jewel Flowers, East Robertson James Cook and Bruceton's Joe Longmire. Flowers had the better stats of the 3 and led his team to the title game. Longmire had the 2nd best numbers that year.

3 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

In 1994 James Cook for East Robertson won Mr. Football. East Robertson finished 10 and 2 that year and lost in 2nd rd of the playoffs to Lake County. That same year Lake County's Jewel Flowers rushed for 2848 yards and 48 tds and guided his team to the state championship game losing to So. Pitt 14 to 7. In the game he rushed for 178 yards and td. Jewel Flowers should have won the award but didn't. The 3 guys that up for the award that year was Lake County Jewel Flowers, East Robertson James Cook and Bruceton's Joe Longmire. Flowers had the better stats of the 3 and led his team to the title game. Longmire had the 2nd best numbers that year.

If I remember correctly, Longmire ended up winning it the following year.

10 hours ago, Sherdog said:

How many Mr.Football (1a) winners have won the award on a team that hasn't made the championship game? Just curious who has won it on a team that only made it just to the 2nd or 3rd round?

McKenzie 2005 Season

Drew Hayes won and the Rebels were put out in the 2nd round by JCS. Before Division II was established