Mairvul limps intwo Cyunts Hil

STARSNBARS

5 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Coach Tipton was a highly successful coach at the Hill. He was Spurrier’s coach and the coach of several other Allstate or all American QBs. The Hill was sometimes referred to as Quarterback U. His able assistant Coach Bob “Snake” Evans replaced him when Tipton went into Administration. I played for Coach Evans. Steve Spurrier paid for the new field at the Hill. However, the old field at Memorial Stadium was also named after him. I have never met Coach Spurrier though I grew up in the same subdivision with his older brother Graham. Great guy and a friend. He passed away a year or so ago.

Thanks for the follow up. That makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Is this the same exact field Steve Spurier played on or has this campus been the same one since the beginning. Has Steve been around or dose he even still have family there.

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

The field Spurrier and myself a few years later played on was Memorial, sometimes called Memorial Soldiers Stadium on the south side of Town. The new stadium is on the Science Hill campus. Yes Spurrier matriculated from the current campus. It has a collegiate campus feel to it.

J-C-Stadium.png

1 minute ago, Red Rebels said:

I used to see this stadium all the time when we would take old Highway 91 (Elizabethton Highway) over to Elizabethton to go to Mamaw and Papaw. 

There was a large Bronze statue of a World War 1 solder as you entered the front of the stadium. It’s still there along with the bowl but the actual stadium is gone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

What's the place used for now. Was the school there at that location also?

Keystone elementary is the only school that was nearby. A lot of the city of JC new buildings are on the property. Jail and city hall, maybe PO. The inside of the old stadium has been turned into a neat senior citizen facility. We would dress across town at the current campus and be bussed across town to defend sacred turf. On the backside of the stadium is Cardinal park. It’s not named that anymore. For decades the St. Louis rookie League team of the Appalachian League played there. Memorial stadium dirt bank wall provided the wall for Center and right field. About 480 feet deep in dead center. I hated playing there in summer high school league.

Edited by noonesfool

1 hour ago, TriCitiesRebels said:

Yeah it's so hard to understand... Oh hey let's look at the....demographics...of Science Hill vs the rest is the area, wonder if there's a correlation??

Could be, but we also have to consider the school size which in general would mean more athletes.   As the 5th biggest HS in the state, Science Hill (2380) should statistically have more athletes than the smaller area schools.     By comparison, the Washington county schools are Boone with 1207 and Crockett with 1182.      DB (2503) in Kingsport should also have a ton of athletes one would think.            

On 11/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, blazer1set said:

I firmly believe that Science Hill has the athletes to beat you guys this year.     However, they always seem to choke in the playoffs.      We could chalk that up to a lot of things but the point is that if Maryville just plays sound fundamental football then you will win against the Toppers.           You will likely have as many or more fans than Science Hill so that won't be a factor.              (BTW, it is shameful that a school as big as the Hill has such sparse fan & community support...   Those guys are out there week in and week out playing their hearts out and deserve more than they get, but I digress....)

Science Toppers will not mercy rule Maryville Rebels in this game. I guarantee it. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.