Huntingdon vs Waverly 1st Round

horse

Just now, vandyfan1 said:

I don’t see this game being close. Anything to the outside and Huntingdon is off to the races. Just not our year. 

I get it. Huntingdon has been blessed with the run they've been on the last several years, seeming like we have a contender every year, but it won't always be that way and every person knowledgeable about football knows that. But I'm sure improvements are on the horizon for Waverly. 

Really, I wouldn't mind a bit of a challenge in Rd 1. I feel like it's hurt us in the past rolling to easy wins in the first couple rounds and then getting punched in the mouth in the 3rd or 4th. I feel reasonably certain the real state championship in 2A will be played in the West, but between, Huntingdon, Riverside, Loretto, Lewis Co, or one of the Memphis teams, I can't say there's a clear-cut favorite.

11 minutes ago, sportsnutz said:

If Waverly doesn't throw the ball around like they used to, it's going to be a long night. Huntingdon run defense is stout, but can be gashed at times if our safety has to truly respect the pass. If they are truly a one-man show with the Stanfield kid, I don't see this game being close. Watch for #36 of Huntingdon to be in double digit tackles. He is ALWAYS around the ball.

I don't know what kind of defense Waverly has. I know they gave up 50+ to Camden early in the year so that doesn't bode well for them. For Huntingdon's offense, everyone knows what you're gonna get. A heavy dose of the run with a pass or three mixed in if we start seeing those safeties crash down. A defense who's disciplined, physical, and can tackle well has a chance to slow us down. 

While I think Huntingdon’s offensive ground game is strong, week in and week out. I only remember completing 2 passes last night. One was a 5 yd loss and the other was a 2 point conversion. I feel like this should have been more of a point of emphasis in these games leading up to the playoffs. There will be a point in the playoffs where we have to pass it to keep the defense honest. 

6 minutes ago, Waker said:

While I think Huntingdon’s offensive ground game is strong, week in and week out. I only remember completing 2 passes last night. One was a 5 yd loss and the other was a 2 point conversion. I feel like this should have been more of a point of emphasis in these games leading up to the playoffs. There will be a point in the playoffs where we have to pass it to keep the defense honest. 

I agree 100%. There wasn't any point of that game that we weren't in control. The fumble/return is the only reason the score was close in the first quarter. Maybe they didn't want to put anything on film right before the playoffs, but we didn't open up the playbook past page 3 last night for some reason.

10 minutes ago, sportsnutz said:

I agree 100%. There wasn't any point of that game that we weren't in control. The fumble/return is the only reason the score was close in the first quarter. Maybe they didn't want to put anything on film right before the playoffs, but we didn't open up the playbook past page 3 last night for some reason.

Agree. 

In the past we’ve seen the playbook shrink when playoffs roll around. I understand that you dance with the one that brought you, but you have to be ready when the songs change.

47 minutes ago, Waker said:

Agree. 

In the past we’ve seen the playbook shrink when playoffs roll around. I understand that you dance with the one that brought you, but you have to be ready when the songs change.

I go to practice a lot. Our playbook is much larger than it seems. We work extensively on plays that you haven't seen yet. We spent much more time on the passing game than you would think also. Fun watching the Mustangs practice. Those kids have a lot of fun at practice. Like the way Swenson interacts with players. No yelling and screaming on the practice field. Kids really respond well to our staff.

3 minutes ago, footballover said:

Doesn't do any good to have all these great pass plays then never run them. Have to get past page 1 of the play book come playoff time if they ever want add another gold ball to the trophy case

I don’t think Huntingdon has any great passing plays. Some how every pass plays has 3 receivers within 5yards of each other. 

10 hours ago, horse said:

I don’t think Huntingdon has any great passing plays. Some how every pass plays has 3 receivers within 5yards of each other. 

It’s hard to run routes out of those formations spread out when in the offensive formation everyone is on top of one another 

On 10/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, @38320 said:

I only saw Huntingdon in person two games this year. I think they are one of the best Huntingdon teams I've seen. If they scoot to the outside, they are extremely hard to stop. They have a quarterback whose going places too. 

I think the best team I have personally seen from Huntingdon is the year Lake County beat them in the semifinals in Huntingdon. 2019 if I’m thinking correctly.