Humboldt Head Coach Opening

Stinger99

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

Humboldt's numbers are bad. Football is not on the important list in Humboldt like back in the day.

Truth and very unfortunate for a program that was once very good. Hopefully they will take football serious again because I remember a time that big home side stands they have was filled top to bottom and now barely anyone comes 

26 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Humboldt's numbers are bad. Football is not on the important list in Humboldt like back in the day.

I really hate (for the kids) that football in Humboldt resembles Thelma & Louise driving the T'bird off the cliff... but the people responsible got exactly what they deserved. Had a great coach and betrayed him to promote their "golden child", thinking he could do just as well. 

Classic case of "be careful what you wish for".

38 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

Truth and very unfortunate for a program that was once very good. Hopefully they will take football serious again because I remember a time that big home side stands they have was filled top to bottom and now barely anyone comes 

I did radio for Humboldt games back in 2017 and was approached to do the Peabody games the following year. I really wanted to do the Peabody games but couldn't commit because I knew they were the real deal and would be playing late in year and I had a girl playing ball for the Lady Pioneers. But I knew after that year it wasn't going to work for Humboldt. Not enough players and the interest wasn't there. I really in a way wished we would have taken the Peabody gig because three Gold Balls and a Final Four in 4 years would have been really fun to broadcast.. 

Edited by pioneer42

16 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I really hate (for the kids) that football in Humboldt resembles Thelma & Louise driving the T'bird off the cliff... but the people responsible got exactly what they deserved. Had a great coach and betrayed him to promote their "golden child", thinking he could do just as well. 

Classic case of "be careful what you wish for".

What you are referring is probably the worst way I’ve seen a coach that cared for a program and was an overall good man get treated at a school that he had being very competitive every year. Luckily  for us he came to Trenton the year after the Humboldt mistreatment happened, hated he left after that year because the next year we won the first state (2014)

Edited by Goldenpride

I think it will take a special kind of coach to fix this program. They obviously have talent, but I do not know if the kids care about football at all. No reason at all they should have been 0-10 this year looking at their schedule, other kids and coaches just wanted it a lot more then them.  

I think Humboldt could be a solid team next year if a coach comes in that will utilize the athletes in space and fixes some of their defensive flaws. I do not think many (if any) with head coaching experience will apply though, meaning they will probably be looking at trying to find a good local coordinator trying to get a head coaching start. 

Discipline was non existent this year.   Players missing practices Monday - Wednesday and sometimes not showing up till game day.  A good coach would forfeit games instead of letting them even dress out on game day.  If a good coach tries to tackle this then he may have to know going in he may have to forfeit some games in year one due to not 11 guys to dress out due to this.  Very possible the ones use to being able to do this will simply quit leaving only 11 or less on the team.  It could be turned around.  Year 2 could be better.  Year 3 could be better than year 2.  The question is, what coach would be willing to take the job.  There will be zero problems getting someone to take it and keep running things the same way.

2 minutes ago, Deeper said:

Discipline was non existent this year.   Players missing practices Monday - Wednesday and sometimes not showing up till game day.  A good coach would forfeit games instead of letting them even dress out on game day.  If a good coach tries to tackle this then he may have to know going in he may have to forfeit some games in year one due to not 11 guys to dress out due to this.  Very possible the ones use to being able to do this will simply quit leaving only 11 or less on the team.  It could be turned around.  Year 2 could be better.  Year 3 could be better than year 2.  The question is, what coach would be willing to take the job.  There will be zero problems getting someone to take it and keep running things the same way.

It's not about the current culture @ Humboldt, it's about the commitment from those hiring the next HC. Form a search committee and let them negotiate a level of compensation ($$$) that would match what you want to accomplish, then accept resume's from applicants while contacting established coaches and "pitching" the job. If the job is posted/app's taken/hire made without any extra effort, my granddad used to have a sayin'..."do what you've been a' doing-get what you've been a' gitten'".