Eighth grade eligibility vote tomorrow

Indian

7 hours ago, Indian said:

Voted down. But some in the same building get to continue. Buildings here are about 50 yards apart and it’s a no. 

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have to do with the buildings that the grades are in, the number of separate buildings that house the respective grades, or the distance of the buildings. But rather if it is considered the same school ie. K-12th, 6th-12th. For a long time my alma mater Greenfield was a K-12 school but the K-8th and 9th-12th were on different sides of the street. One principal covered all the grades. And we moved 8th graders up to play basketball and golf. 

22 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

So let's have 8th graders play up if the middle school feeds all students to one high school. Would we be saying the middle school program is not important so the high school can have some more bench warmers.

What about school districts who have multiple high schools and middle schools and have open enrollment? I see a public school recruitment feeding frenzy.

This would be a bad idea

Cardinal rule...all or none. We have 2 high schools and 7 middle schools...some could be classified as "feeder schools" but others routinely split where they choose to attend high school. Big question is, do you allow open recruitment and a free for all, or do you allow for the feeders and exclude the others? Or, do you allow other systems to play and disallow systems like ours.

Seems like we're trending towards just letting kids transfer at will and play without restriction no matter the circumstances in high school...might as well include everyone! 

I don't like where we're headed with high school sports...vouchers, unrestricted transfers, ect... will soon have the large privates sorting through everyone else's rosters and cherry picking whomever they want...small privates get the leftovers, and publics get the table scraps. Proponents dangle the words and phrases "school choice", "power to the parents", "equality", and "transparency". The truth is that they (privates) have all the cards, some in plain view (premise of selecting for parents), but most (NIL, privilege of selecting at will) up their sleeves. 4.0 students and great athletes will select where they attend...everyone else can apply and be denied admission at the discretion of the school.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Cardinal rule...all or none. We have 2 high schools and 7 middle schools...some could be classified as "feeder schools" but others routinely split where they choose to attend high school. Big question is, do you allow open recruitment and a free for all, or do you allow for the feeders and exclude the others? Or, do you allow other systems to play and disallow systems like ours.

Seems like we're trending towards just letting kids transfer at will and play without restriction no matter the circumstances in high school...might as well include everyone! 

I don't like where we're headed with high school sports...vouchers, unrestricted transfers, ect... will soon have the large privates sorting through everyone else's rosters and cherry picking whomever they want...small privates get the leftovers, and publics get the table scraps. Proponents dangle the words and phrases "school choice", "power to the parents", "equality", and "transparency". The truth is that they (privates) have all the cards, some in plain view (premise of selecting for parents), but most (NIL, privilege of selecting at will) up their sleeves. 4.0 students and great athletes will select where they attend...everyone else can apply and be denied admission at the discretion of the school.

One of the best posts I have ever read on CoachT.  I completely agree.  Also glad they voted down the 8 grade rule.  NCAAA is trying to ruin College sports and now the trickle down is starting to be seen in High School.

• Like 1

I think the reason the rule is there in the first place is not really understood. It’s there to help small high schools be able to field teams. There are high schools that some years need the 2-3 8th graders on their junior high teams to be able to practice. It’s there for 8th graders to be able to compete in sports that their junior high/middle school might not be able to offer because there are no schools at that level to compete against. It’s not meant as a recruiting tool or something that is getting kids more reps at a higher level. If it was such an advantage then why don’t those programs win more often?

11 hours ago, jvaughan said:

If it was such an advantage then why don’t those programs win more often?

Here's a few of the high school girls basketball programs that can pull 8th graders (this is a partial list):

Summertown, Greenfield, Gleason, USJ, Ensworth, TCA - I'd say these programs win pretty often.

I would love to see a full list of the schools that can do this.  To act like this is not an advantage is disingenuous.  Not only do these 8th graders help win games, it allows for a full extra year of development in the high school program.  

On 12/7/2023 at 11:16 AM, Indian said:

Generally the middle school players move up when their seasons end unless they are high school starter-ready. 

Middle school players now can only move up to varsity if the schools are under the same roof. It is something that is ultra rare in publics and very rare otherwise

On 12/8/2023 at 8:17 AM, maddams said:

Here's a few of the high school girls basketball programs that can pull 8th graders (this is a partial list):

Summertown, Greenfield, Gleason, USJ, Ensworth, TCA - I'd say these programs win pretty often.

I would love to see a full list of the schools that can do this.  To act like this is not an advantage is disingenuous.  Not only do these 8th graders help win games, it allows for a full extra year of development in the high school program.  

Summertown can’t anymore

On 12/7/2023 at 8:22 PM, tradertwo said:

High school sports will look like the joke we have going on in college sports right now. Kid's playing at different schools every year highest bidder wins