<b>TSSAA PLANS</b> Here it is!

ELA

"recruited" to any private school. I'm sorry, it is WRONG to assume that just because a private school is not restricted to any particular geographic zone that they automatically cheat. Sorry, I don't buy it. In fact, what is to keep any school public or private from recruiting? It's just too easy to fabricate a local address. Please, I know it is deeply held belief in this state that privates cheat to succeed, but it is flat wrong and slanderous to assume that it is fact.

:) have you ever heard of Knoxville Webb? They recruit the east side of town like it's nobody's business. I know for a fact that coaches from Webb come to middle schools watch kids play and talk with them about joining them at Webb. They also disguise their football program very well as "Pilot". Pilot football is sponsored by Pilot oil, but in actuality it is Webb school (where they play and practice) Man they even pay the Little League coaches at Pilot.

In private school I can offer you somethings that public schools can't offer.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey a new idea, why don't the small public rural schools leave the T$$AA and form their own association, and leave the private schools alone!

I have another great idea. Why don't we take a certain percentage of the special ed. kids from each rural public school and stick them in the private schools just you'll see how the real world operates. Then we'll take about 2 or 3 of those big smart lineman you've got and that one RB you seem to recruit every year and replace them with 4 dingalings so your coaches then can work their magic on them, raise their IQ's and playing ability at the same time. That would definitely show us the power of hard work.

Again,

Show me 1 instance in the past five years where you know a student was "recruited" to any private school. I'm sorry, it is WRONG to assume that just because a private school is not restricted to any particular geographic zone that they automatically cheat. Sorry, I don't buy it. In fact, what is to keep any school public or private from recruiting? It's just too easy to fabricate a local address. Please, I know it is deeply held belief in this state that privates cheat to succeed, but it is flat wrong and slanderous to assume that it is fact.

boysfromsi,

I am a public school supporter, I do not believe private schools cheat to win. The problem I have with private schools is their ability to build powerhouse programs completely within the rules. Because of their lack of zones, the stronger programs attract the better athletes; something the single A publics can't do. There is really no limit as to how strong a program the privates can build. Good coaches attract good athletes, good athletes build strong programs, strong programs attract even better athletes, the cycle goes on and on. The single A publics really can't build anything, they just take the coaches and athletes they have and do the best they can. The people who want the private schools out of single A are not whiners, they are just being realistic. It is not a level playing field, and never will be under the current system.

In another thread in the Baseball Forum, it was posted that at the state baseball tournament, Rockwood's players looked like Jr. High School players. The players on the team who remind others of Jr. High players are all that Rockwood has. We can't attract bigger better players the way privates and open zoned schools can. It is debatable, but it can be said that Rockwood had the best single A public school baseball team in the state (maybe not the best, but finished highest in the tournament) and the best the publics have to offer in single A looks like a Jr High team to some of the private supporters.

In the 2003 Spring Fling, Rockwood beat Friendship Christian. This was the first instance of a public school beating a private school in a single game in the state tournament since 1999, when Coalfield beat Jackson Christian and went on to win the state championship. Something is seriously wrong with the system when only two times in five years, a public school has defeated a private school in a game in the state tournament.

RHSFAN you,ve got it figured out to a t. And then you see that they have no special ed kids. Most of these kids have dedicated parents who pay thousands of dollars to assure that these kids has the best possible chance of success in all areas,sports included. As PAUL hARVEY WOULD SAY,NOW YOU KNOW ,THE REST OF THE STORY.

In essence, this whole issue boils down to money.

The ones that suffer are the 1A schools that can't compete with same-size privates in this class because of funding. While I think that the fact that the publics schools should take that as a motivational factor to work harder to win, in the end the budgets for the privates is probably triple or better what the rural, 1A schools have to work with and they will have an edge. Recruiting may or may not be a factor, but if it is then it should be an automatic shipment to D-II.

It seems that only 1A is affected by this, so why not do like has been proposed and use the multiplier to move the privates up? OR just move all of the 1A privates to 2A and see what happens...my guess is 2A schools will start to gripe.

There ought to be an easier way to do this, but there isn't...someone will feel like they're being screwed and only one side will have the means to wrangle it in the courts.

Edited by KevB1990

have you ever heard of Knoxville Webb? They recruit the east side of town like it's nobody's business. I know for a fact that coaches from Webb come to middle schools watch kids play and talk with them about joining them at Webb. They also disguise their football program very well as "Pilot". Pilot football is sponsored by Pilot oil, but in actuality it is Webb school (where they play and practice) Man they even pay the Little League coaches at Pilot.

I believe we are talking about Div.I private schools.

Going on a last post that said public schools can get away with giving a fake address. I don't buy that bull. I have a junior high school that is 5 minutes from our school and I can't even talk to those kids unless they make contact with our guidance counselor. Take for example how easy it is in the private world now.... Two years ago a basketball player left a AAA school in southwest TN and enrolled in a private school while only one parent and the student moved to that private school "zone". The other parent stayed at home, there was not a divorce, electricity and mail still came to the first address. No phone service disconnection. All the rules that the TSSAA state that has to happen for the move to be legal. YET the transfer occured the day of Christmas break and the student played in a game after attending only one day of school at the private school. Is that not illegal??? Yes it is. So public schools do not have the same rules. I have always said I don't hold the private schools at fault, it is the system BUT no one can say that we are playing on a level field

If you divide into 3 and 3 classes with a total split, you're looking at 12 and 14 teams in some regions because of the increased numbers. This makes it very difficult to even decide who makes it to the playoffs. This is going to cost the TSSAA alot of money and confusion. I think 5 classes is the way to go. It keeps the number of participants up per state championship. You will have evenly distributed classes. However, there will be fewer playoff games. This will mean less money for the TSSAA or will it? Instead of a first round matchup of 4-6 and 10-0 teams, you have 8-2 and 9-1 or 7-3 and 10-0. This will lead to more higher profile teams playing each other, therefore bigger gates. Although 1-9 McMinn Central vs. Trousdale County was an interesting playoff matchup. The point is 5 classifications makes for good sized regions at about 7 or 8, gives the small rural schools a chance to compete, and makes a state championship have more meaning since there are only five.

Two years ago a basketball player left a AAA school in southwest TN and enrolled in a private school while only one parent and the student moved to that private school "zone". The other parent stayed at home, there was not a divorce, electricity and mail still came to the first address. No phone service disconnection. All the rules that the TSSAA state that has to happen for the move to be legal.

If the scenerio you suggest actually did happen then the student was not eligible at the new school unless there were court papers showing a divorce or a hardship was granted. This applies to all DI and DII schools and both public and private schools.

Ok, two years ago two of Gomab's top 100 sophomores transferred from private schools in East Memphis to a very dominant AA power in East Memphis...if you know anything about basketball over the last 5 years, you know the school...both of these players contributed and were eligible for the district tournament...Do you think they just wound up there without talking to the coach? Didn't have to worry about zones since this "School" can take any player they want since they are bound by no zones.

What do you think about dem apples?

PM me if u want the name of the school or kids...cus I got it, you can even go back and look at Gomab's list from years ago and cross check that with the one now to see who I am talking about.

Going on a last post that said public schools can get away with giving a fake address. I don't buy that bull. I have a junior high school that is 5 minutes from our school and I can't even talk to those kids unless they make contact with our guidance counselor. Take for example how easy it is in the private world now.... Two years ago a basketball player left a AAA school in southwest TN and enrolled in a private school while only one parent and the student moved to that private school "zone". The other parent stayed at home, there was not a divorce, electricity and mail still came to the first address. No phone service disconnection. All the rules that the TSSAA state that has to happen for the move to be legal. YET the transfer occured the day of Christmas break and the student played in a game after attending only one day of school at the private school. Is that not illegal??? Yes it is. So public schools do not have the same rules. I have always said I don't hold the private schools at fault, it is the system BUT no one can say that we are playing on a level field

Hey sparky.......the same thing happened just 2or 3 years ago when a kid left Jackson Christian to play baseball at Germantown.

Just thought you`d like to know so you`d have something else to whine about.

VG :D