biggest rivals

fultonfalcon2006

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldest rivalry in the state was played 2 weeks ago its has been played for 80 years.

South Pittsburg and Marion County.

I'm not sure, but Ive always heard that Maryville-Alcoa game was the oldest in the state, and I know for sure it's been reported on the news that way. 80+ years I think. But I would agree that SP and Marion Co. is a bigger rivalry game than Maryville Alcoa even if it is not the oldest. Yall are crazy.

Cookeville-White county   

it goes back to when cookeville was putnam county high.

People have grandparents who go back to this rivalry. its old school

825386968[/snapback]

You really can't call it a rivalry anymore, though. Sure, back then it may have been, but you know just as well as I do that it has been a loooooooooooooooooong time since Cookeville lost to White county.

I'm not sure, but Ive always heard that Maryville-Alcoa game was the oldest in the state, and I know for sure it's been reported on the news that way.  80+ years I think.  But I would agree that SP and Marion Co. is a bigger rivalry game than Maryville Alcoa even if it is not the oldest.  Yall are crazy.

825388698[/snapback]

According to the Chattanooga newspaper who used the TSSAA as a reference it is considered the oldest consecutive rivalry. If there is a older consecutive rivalry the Times-FreePress needs to consult their sources again. I have always heard it was the oldest consecutive rivalry and I started going to that game back in 1978. "South Pittsburg vs. Marion is the measuring stick that a lot of other rivalries need to look to" according to what was said on a radio call-in show in 1998.

Alcoa vs. Maryville is by far the biggest rivalry in the east, closely followed by Bearden vs. Farragut. The Alcoa/Maryville rivalry is just big because from one school to the other is a 5 minute car ride and thousands of fans from across east tn (and of course from each school) attend. It's also the first game of the year for both teams and being that they both are generally very good, it is a measuring stick for the fans for what to expect from the season.