Alcoa Vs. Maryville

TnFootballfan

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you never seen Rae Sykes?  I believe he will ultimately be the most high profile player in AHS history.  That's a bold statement, but he certainly has the size/speed to be extremely, extremely talented in college.

825724612[/snapback]

What number is Sykes? I'm really excited to see him play. I don't remember him getting much hype or recognition this time last year. And unfortunately I've traditionally only gotten to see AHS play once a year (against MHS). I'm looking very forward to seeing the game of something that comes that highly touted...those are some huge shoes to fill with guys like Shannon Mitchell having come from there. Also what year is Sykes?

Yo Nation - you got any input on my question about how many defensive starters MHS is returning this year? I know you're the man with the facts.

Also, which players are questionable for Friday due to injury?

825723667[/snapback]

Sykes is #56 or #58, 6'4", 230-240 lb junior, interest from LSU already...but I don't have my line-up handy.

See the link below...what do I have to do here? ;)

Edited by Rebel Nation

Sykes is a good player with a developing body and I agree he is a factor, but like Papa just said these teams on Defense are about the same as last year.

Turnovers are big and Alcoa had those last week. Coach Reid also said scoring once in the red zone was a problem vs. Hop Town. Alcoa scored on the big plays is that right? If they can't do well grinding it in from the red zone, it will be a factor. Even though Maryville does not have the "O" it had last year this group of kids will be able to pound it in vs. Alcoa IMO. Turnovers, time of possession, field position and conditioning will be the main factors in this low scouring game. With that being said all roads point to a Maryville Win IMO!

This game is the highlight of the two cities and the county. These programs will be prepared and it will be an exciting game. However, even with Alcoa's Warren out the Tornado's will have enough size, strength and skilled weapons on offense to outscore Maryville.

Also, don't forget the Alcoa defense. Warren is a terror on defense and will be sorely missed but the coaching staff has this side of the ball playing as a team. This squad will rise to the occasion and give Maryville trouble all night. Not saying Maryville won't have any success, because Maryville has quailty players and great coaches. This year, even w/o Warren, Alcoa win's out right!

This game is the highlight of the two cities and the county. These programs will be prepared and it will be an exciting game. However, even with Alcoa's Warren out the Tornado's will have enough size, strength and skilled weapons on offense to outscore Maryville.

Also, don't forget the Alcoa defense. Warren is a terror on defense and will be sorely missed but the coaching staff has this side of the ball playing as a team. This squad will rise to the occasion and give Maryville trouble all night. Not saying Maryville won't have any success, because Maryville has quailty players and great coaches. This year, even w/o Warren, Alcoa win's out right!

825724706[/snapback]

I think the key in this whole Alcoa-Maryville talk is to recognize what a great rivalry it is. Nothing in this area compares to it.

As for the game: When the 4th quarter comes, if Alcoa still has some of their swagger Maryville better watch out. The key for Maryville is to jump on Alcoa early b/c for Alcoa this is as much as a mental game as it is a physical one. If Alcoa believes they can, they will.

Sykes is a good player with a developing body and I agree he is a factor, but like Papa just said these teams on Defense are about the same as last year.

The faces may be the same on defense, but Alcoa is more physical then they were last year based on what I've seen so far!! I'm just ready to kick this game off and get down to business!! Once again, good luck to both teams!! thumb

good conversation and opinions. Maryville will play good defense but this year is a little different. They have some key players going both ways and there are some starters not 100%, may not even play (2 line-backers). That will not help the dept issue. I know they have done some of that is the past but not as many as this year. It will be interesting to see them play at all four qtrs and it's thier FIRST game...

The Alcoa defense has 8 returners 7 w/o Warren. DL is very deep and physical. The 2 young LB's only lack experience, they have speed and are hitters. The CB's one returmer and the other shared time at corner and safety's aren't going to cramp up.

I believe Alcoa's defense will open some eyes Friday!