Maryville and 5A

REBELRON

Didn't both Ravenwood and Independence decide to play at

the 5A level before the school reached full enrollment?

Both schools started with only freshman and sophomore

clases, and added a class each year. Instead of waiting

to see where they would qualify, they chose to play at

the large level -- better rivals, gate, etc. Not sure of

the reasons, but that is my guess.

How is that possible?

QUOTE(BCsportsfan @ May 30 2006 - 08:02 PM)

O.K., I found enrollment numbers on TSSAA.

Ravenwood 1379

Maryville 1381

Oak Ridge 1433

How is that possible?

who cares, this post is stupid if you cant compare it then dont maryville isnt my team but they could beat ravenwood year in and year out no question

Well Maryville does have a bigger student body to choose from. But hey, as it has been pointed out already classifications don't matter do they? We know they don't to Ravenwood anyway.

In 2002 Dobyns Bennett made it to the semifinals before losing to Riverdale. They beat Jeff County to get to Riverdale. That same year Greeneville beat Dobyns Bennett. MOWest beat Jeff County very bad that year. DB and Jeff County played the same week Greeneville played MOWest.

I still think the biggest difference would be who Maryville would play in the semifinals. Oak Ridge or DB wouldn't be no harder than what Central is. I agree that 5A would be tougher but not as tough as a lot of people think. I know that the Hillsboro 2001-2002 teams and the Melrose 2004-2005 teams could compete with any 5A team with no problem.

Once again I say, game to game 4A and 5A aren`t THAT far apart. I`m not a DB historian, but I`d guess that DB leads Greenville in their series together. We would be leading the series with Mo West were it not for(so I don`t step on anyones toes) issues holding us back.

I can`t agree with you that Central would be no harder than DB or O.R. Central has a good program but I doubt things would be much different for Central, Powell or West in 4A if it was DB or O.R instead of Maryville.

If enrollment was the primary factor, David Crockett as opposed to Maryville would be playing in Murfreesboro. :lol:

Enrollment isn`t THE factor but it does play a role. David Crockett is nearly as serious about football as Maryville, they don`t have the same support, coaching staff, and as far as I know kids don`t go to David Crockett just to play football. Numbers isn`t everything, if it was Farragut would have more than 2 playoff appearances. As stated before Maryville is unlike any other 4A so comparing them is very unfair. Maryville can compete in 5A for more reasons than their numbers, but how many other programs can? The better question is for how long?

What will be interesting this year will be the game between Alcoa and Maryville. With that said, what will be said on here 'if' the 2A team wins? :lol:

Will Coach Q be run out of town on a rail? Will Coach R be nominated for football Sainthood? :lol:

For myself I do NOT see Maryville losing that game, but 'if' it does it will throw out alot of the arguement on here. Folks better like the taste of fowl as there will be alot of 'CROW' being served.

Yep.....that game was the game of the year last year...unitl it was played and Maryville stomped a powerful D 1 player laden Alcoa. I believe that was the same Alcoa team that beat 5 A Oak Ridge by one score in a scrimmage..... :lol:

My guess is Oak Ridge will go to 4A the same year Maryville moves to 5A. People are exiting that dump as quickly as possible. Not a big deal for Maryville since virtually every year they line up across from the WIldcats the stomp them into a mud hole and then walk it dry.

Maybe.....just maybe if Oak Ridge does drop down to 4A and avoids Maryville they can back their way into a state championship, otherwise their run is over and done with a Maryville on their schedule.

Maybe Clinton will keep on playing Oak Ridge so they can run the score up on somebody and make them feel good...... :lol:

Botttom line is Oak Ridge has lost their tallent pool and they are not going to win anything in 5 A with a 3 A coach and a 3 A offense. Watch how this year turns out.

Sorry Ole dad but the truth is just that. 2009 will be here before you know it so you better put the pressure on Stanton. :lol:

Yep.....that game was the game of the year last year...unitl it was played and Maryville stomped a powerful D 1 player laden Alcoa. I believe that was the same Alcoa team that beat 5 A Oak Ridge by one score in a scrimmage..... :lol:

My guess is Oak Ridge will go to 4A the same year Maryville moves to 5A. People are exiting that dump as quickly as possible. Not a big deal for Maryville since virtually every year they line up across from the WIldcats the stomp them into a mud hole and then walk it dry.

Maybe.....just maybe if Oak Ridge does drop down to 4A and avoids Maryville they can back their way into a state championship, otherwise their run is over and done with a Maryville on their schedule.

Maybe Clinton will keep on playing Oak Ridge so they can run the score up on somebody and make them feel good...... :lol:

Botttom line is Oak Ridge has lost their tallent pool and they are not going to win anything in 5 A with a 3 A coach and a 3 A offense. Watch how this year turns out.

Sorry Ole dad but the truth is just that. 2009 will be here before you know it so you better put the pressure on Stanton. :lol:

Tell us how you really feel, LOL

Enrollment isn`t THE factor but it does play a role. David Crockett is nearly as serious about football as Maryville, they don`t have the same support, coaching staff, and as far as I know kids don`t go to David Crockett just to play football. Numbers isn`t everything, if it was Farragut would have more than 2 playoff appearances. As stated before Maryville is unlike any other 4A so comparing them is very unfair. Maryville can compete in 5A for more reasons than their numbers, but how many other programs can? The better question is for how long?

You misinterpreted the point I was trying to make. Tradition, coaching, and community support often outweigh enrollment. If enrollment was as VITAL as some posters are making it out to be, teams like Crockett would be better.

How many other programs can compete in 5A? Several can. And in other cases it would take a few years to adapt to a slightly tougher schedule. Region 1 4A for example is becoming saturated with so many teams that belong in 3A. It's detrimental to the teams with potential.

How long can they compete? I don't think any are capable of playing in 5A as consistent as Maryville could. Without a doubt, there would be a few teams every 3 or 4 years that could make an impact.

You mean Oak Ridge can back their way in like Maryville has done? If Oak Ridge does'nt have the number of students to qualify for 5a then why should they? I know Ravenwood played above what they had to, but no one else was as good as they were last year.

Edited by mikey65

Interesting comments about two teams that would

have beaten Gallatin.

He didn't say they(Melrose & Hillsboro) wouldn't have beaten Gallatin....

He said they wouldn't have beaten Riverdale!

Big difference in those two particular seasons Stan.

THE SQUAD :lol:

Edited by THE SQUAD

Does anybody remember the Maryville - Red Bank game (2002?) when it was defending 4A vs. defending 5A? That's a case in point. And please don't tell me they had lost a bunch of people, all schools lose people every year, and they still had Riggs. It was nice to see the defending 5A champion taken to the wood shed by a 4A team. But Maryville can't compete in 5A. . . they don't have what it takes and they're just scared, twisting every TSSAA loophole to stay in 4A so they won't get hurt.

Does anybody remember the Maryville - Red Bank game (2002?) when it was defending 4A vs. defending 5A? That's a case in point. And please don't tell me they had lost a bunch of people, all schools lose people every year, and they still had Riggs. It was nice to see the defending 5A champion taken to the wood shed by a 4A team. But Maryville can't compete in 5A. . . they don't have what it takes and they're just scared, twisting every TSSAA loophole to stay in 4A so they won't get hurt.

After Red Bank won the state championship in 2000 they went 8-4,1-9, and 2-8. So to say they lost some people may be the understatement of the year. They may have still had Riggs, but what else did they have? Did'nt they also drop down to 4a the next year. So basically what you just pointed out is that Maryville beat a 4a team.

After Red Bank won the state championship in 2000 they went 8-4,1-9, and 2-8. So to say they lost some people may be the understatement of the year. They may have still had Riggs, but what else did they have? Did'nt they also drop down to 4a the next year. So basically what you just pointed out is that Maryville beat a 4a team.

Yes, Maryville beat a 4A team. But they beat a program that the year before had won state in 5A. I wasn't under the impression that we were talking specific teams, i.e. starters for a year, but whether the maryville program would handle 5A year in year out. But, if you want to do that, then that Red Bank team that was so down and out when Maryville played them lost three regular season games by a combined 12 points, and easily beat the 5A teams they played. You can't totally discount the fact that there were players, including one key player, Riggs, that had kicked butt in 5A. The Maryville game was the only game that they weren't even close to winning.

What will be interesting this year will be the game between Alcoa and Maryville. With that said, what will be said on here 'if' the 2A team wins? :lol:

Will Coach Q be run out of town on a rail? Will Coach R be nominated for football Sainthood? :lol:

For myself I do NOT see Maryville losing that game, but 'if' it does it will throw out alot of the arguement on here. Folks better like the taste of fowl as there will be alot of 'CROW' being served.

Thanks for your concern there Old & senile dad . After comparing the records of Maryville and Oak Ridge the last several years , I do believe that you would definitely be the person we'll talk to if and when we here at Maryville are needing a few tasty recipes on how to prepare some crow .

"Oak Ridge .... The Atomic Crow Capital of the World " :lol: