Maryville and 5A

REBELRON

If memory serves, Ron, at an enrollment of 386 Alcoa could still play single A football, if they chose to, but they opted to stay in AA.

REBELRON and HTV, I have a friend who teaches and coaches at Alcoa and he said that since they built the new middle school that their enrollment had grown significantly for the first time in years. I guess that's true since their enrollment has jumped to 473 placing them solidly in 2A.

Interesting comments about two teams that would

have beaten Gallatin.

And to further disagree with some of the spectulative comparisons, I really doubt that a Melrose who was so one dimensional or a winded Hillsboro team of the afore mentioned years would have been any competition for the Riverdale teams that won the state title. And for the record I am not a Riverdale supporter but I saw both the 4 and 5 A contests both years and neither would have been close.

REBELRON and HTV, I have a friend who teaches and coaches at Alcoa and he said that since they built the new middle school that their enrollment had grown significantly for the first time in years. I guess that's true since their enrollment has jumped to 473 placing them solidly in 2A.

Thanks for that info. The school profile on the TSSAA website still lists them with an enrollment of 386. That's where my number was coming from, but it sounds like you are more on top of it.

Thanks for that info. The school profile on the TSSAA website still lists them with an enrollment of 386. That's where my number was coming from, but it sounds like you are more on top of it.

I was like you until he told me of the impact their new building program has had. I got the 473 number from the TSSAA website as well, on the classification icon.

BC that is interesting that little Ravenwood won the 5A championship with such a small enrollment.

Yep, my point exactly. I think Maryville could compete at the highest level of 5A..........no problem. :thumb:

Oh, and Alcoa's enrollment on TSSAA list:

year - enrollment

2004 - 411

2006 - 473

I agree with everyone's comments. I have a respect for O.R. , D-B, etc. their programs and their fans.

However, when someone comes on and starts spewing garbage about how Maryville "cooks books", "is chicken", knows where Quarles "gets his info" etc. , and don't know what their talking about, I have to reply.

Back in the 1970's Maryville and O.R. started a long relationship of scrimmaging each other. Ted Wilson and Emory Hale were great friends, coaches, and Christian gentlemen. The main reason this relationship started was because neither team could find a lot of teams wanting to scrimmage them, so they just scrimmaged each other.

I'm elated that the same can be said about Stanton Stevens and George Quarles and that they share the same qualities as Wilson and Hale.

Maryville plays within the framework of the TSSAA and their enrollment and competition policies. Yes, Maryville is one of the largest 4A schools in the state and starting in the fall of 2009 will be one of the smallest 5A schools in the state.

In the 1st 8 posts of this thread who said anything about Maryville "cook books", "chicken", Quarrels info." If this has already been answered I apologize. I'm actually RTFT and making comments as I go.

Rhea Co. and David Crockett have a higher enrollment. Crockett easily has a 5A amount but I doubt they will move up.

Do you have numbers on Crockett's enrollment? Sorry if they've been posted already.

28-0 with 10 new starters on offense ... i guess i can understand some frustration coming from " THE BIG BOYS " Oak ridge . It's ok big boys ... i got to admit you guys might have made the top 5 in the teams we played last year !! HAHAHA ! It's ok Senile Dad , We understand how frustrated you must be watching Maryville win year after year . I'm sure by telling yourself how much better OR is than Maryville , that it helps you deal with that dusty trophy case a whole lot better .

Can you point out the "frustrated" Oak Ridge fans on here for me?

In the 1st 8 posts of this thread who said anything about Maryville "cook books", "chicken", Quarrels info." If this has already been answered I apologize. I'm actually RTFT and making comments as I go.

Do you have numbers on Crockett's enrollment? Sorry if they've been posted already.

There was a previous thread prior to this one which I think was actually pertaining to Farragut. But a particular poster went out their way to point out Maryville will have the "chicken moniker" until moving to 5A and pointed out several ways he thought Maryville was bending over backwards to stay in 4A.

Edited by mhs

I disagree and here's why, lets take the 2003 season as an example(the year West went to the 4A state championship game), its a little long so bear with me. For the sake of argument and location Mo West gets put into region 1 5A. Now in 2003 West would have finished at best 8-2 and 3rd in the region, unless you think they would have beaten the 2003 DB team. Good luck finding anyone with knowledge of the 2003 DB team that would agree with that. Now for finishing 3rd in region 1 West would take the spot Science Hill did and now they play at McMinn Co in the 1st round instead of killing Sullivan South like they did in 4A. S.Hill lost the game in 03 to McMinn, but for the sake of this argument lets say they beat McMinn Co. Now West has the great pleasure of going on the road TO DB IN THE SECOND ROUND instead of playing an inferior Tennessee High team. So after one round of the playoffs in 5A West already faces a team equal to themselves. Again for the sake of this argument lets say West has their magical season and somehow beats DB at DB, now they have to go TO OAK RIDGE IN THE 3RD ROUND instead of playing Greenville. Now lets say its a leap year and stars are aligned and West beats O.R at O.R, now West has the lovely task of playing Riverdale in the semi finals.

Now West faces a team superior to themselves, but again for the sake of this argument West beats Riverdale(after you`ve stopped laughing keep reading). Now West has just gone through a killer playoffs, they beaten DB at DB with an equal or better team, they`ve beated O.R at O.R with an equal or better team , and they've beaten Riverdale with a superior team , GUESS WHAT you still haven`t won a championship. Now West gets to play Germantown(who beat Riverdale in the 03 state championship by the way) for the title. I can hear what you`re saying already that I`m assuming West finishes 3rd in the region. Ok let's say West beats DB in the regular season and finishes 2nd in the region, they then play William Blount in the 1st round, only this time instead of DB they go to O.R in the 2nd once again meeting a team equal or better than themselves. In 2003 it wasn`t until the semi finals that West faced a team(Maryville) that was equal or better. They playoffs don`t compare, bottom line.

This may be the most logical post I have ever read on this site. Great research and analysis.