Maryville and 5A

REBELRON

Chattanoga only cut middle schools for one year.

I agree with you about Maryville's staff. They

are very good.

Doesn't Maryville have the highest enrollment of

the 4A schools?

Did, that honor now belongs to either Rhea County or Mt. Juliet if you look at the new #'s posted on TSSAA (Maryville is 3rd).

Outside of Maryville what other 4A team do you think could/would compete on the 5A level? For one game or even one season I agree with you that the classification probably wouldn`t matter when it comes to the top teams, but what about over the course of a few seasons? We pretty much agree that Maryville could move up and still compete, but what if Mo West(10-0 regular season) moved up? They`d finish 3rd in their region and wouldn`t get out of the 2nd round. This argument goes out the window when you look below Maryville at the rest of 4A.

That's agreeable to a point...and then there's the wrench more formally known as Melrose. They were one dimensional as you stated in a later post, but that one dimension happened to be a nasty defense (referring to the 2004 team). With more than adequate knowledge of the game, I left the 2004 championships thinking Maryville or Melrose could have been 5a champions. I also think this a year to year discussion. I believe that the Portland teams of 1999 or 2000 (29-1) could play with the Maryville's or Riverdale's during that stretch of two years. Don't get me wrong though, it IS strictly a year to year argument, and you are right in your statments in looking at the grand picture.

Edited by pressman

He didn't say they(Melrose & Hillsboro) wouldn't have beaten Gallatin....

He said they wouldn't have beaten Riverdale!

Big difference in those two particular seasons Stan.

THE SQUAD :)

Thanks for the backup but you have to realize that Stan also supports the Dixie Chicks..... :lol:

Let it be known I am not a Maryville basher. I am hoping that before I die that Oak Ridge and Maryville will have an year in and year out series. They will be in 5A in 2008 and I hope that Oak Ridge will drop Clinton to get them on the schedule should they not be in our region. I tell everybody who will listen to me that it's time to say goodbye to that series. Not just Coacht posters but OR Principal Chuck Carringer and Coach Stevens. He probably gets tired of me saying this on our show. No loss in revenue except for our friends in Clinton and in these times of budget cuts, its time to look after our own and play a program with a great following like Maryville. Both teams will be able to back up the trucks to haul away the money.

Edited by DCCATVOICE

I fully believe Oak Ridge will drop Jefferson County after this year. They have had their own troubles at home plus their fans just don't go to away games. No fans ...no dollars at the gate.. As the Voice says dollars at the gate are important these days. And Man would a Maryville Oak Ridge home and home stand bring in the bucks.Some people would come just to see either one of these two get beat.

Edited by bounder

Speaking of 'gate' with regard to M'ville and Oak Ridge...

Has anyone ever considered an Oak Ridge v. M'ville or M'ville v. Alcoa being played in Neyland Stadium? Maybe play the game on Thursday so as not to conflict w/ other local games.

I know that DB played one of the Knoxville teams in Neyland a few years back during the playoffs. I have always wondered why more local games are not played in Neyland w/ the two teams splitting the gate. Give UT the parking and coke sales.

Thoughts on why this wouldn't work?

Speaking of 'gate' with regard to M'ville and Oak Ridge...

Has anyone ever considered an Oak Ridge v. M'ville or M'ville v. Alcoa being played in Neyland Stadium? Maybe play the game on Thursday so as not to conflict w/ other local games.

I know that DB played one of the Knoxville teams in Neyland a few years back during the playoffs. I have always wondered why more local games are not played in Neyland w/ the two teams splitting the gate. Give UT the parking and coke sales.

Thoughts on why this wouldn't work?

U.T. is also way to greedy for that. I'm sure they'd want part of admission sales also.

TN administration does not want to allow High Schools to start playing at Neyland on a regular basis. It took them forever to allow the jamboree to be played there. As bounder said, with 20k there it would be empty. Also, doubt that any two teams could draw 20k, maybe 10-15. You loose the high school atmosphere. Just look at the state finals and check out Vandy or MTSU with the smaller stadiums, it appears empty when there might be 8-10k there.

TN administration does not want to allow High Schools to start playing at Neyland on a regular basis. It took them forever to allow the jamboree to be played there. As bounder said, with 20k there it would be empty. Also, doubt that any two teams could draw 20k, maybe 10-15. You loose the high school atmosphere. Just look at the state finals and check out Vandy or MTSU with the smaller stadiums, it appears empty when there might be 8-10k there.

Field conditions are also an issue with UT. Back when they had articficial turf, it wasn't a big deal, but a field gets a lot of wear in a high school football game and especially if weather conditions aren't good during the previous week or on game night.

The cost to put on a game at UT - security, game administration, light bill, stadium clean up, ect. - would make it almost impossible for the teams to net as much from the gate as they would with a home game.

Edited by HTV