I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

Busy day - have not had a chance to respond.

Had a wonderful weekend in Charlotte. Transy gave it great ride but feel short. I know this is a basketball post, but let me tell you a swim relay race at the end of the year conference race is as pumped up a moment as any in any basketball game – apparently even the one I missed. Sometimes being a parent is just hard – choosing which child to support and watch. Great weekend, though, my son did his 4 personal best times. I am curious for any college bball expert. In swimming, D-III national cut-off times are faster than D-II b/c there are about 4x the number of D-III schools as D-II. The quality seems to be better at D-2 (with scholarships) but the high-level of quantity seems to be at D-III (with no scholarships). Is that true in basketball?

Apparently missed a great game b/c CCHS and GHS. I have seen the video.

First, props to GHS. I have seen GHS play better especially on defense. Dickson was not allowed to just go off as she is able to do against us. And CCHS had 4 outside bank shots. AND, I am told that it has been 20 years since there was that kind of environment, boys or girls, in the CCHS gym. AND even missing 4 free throws at the end, still found a way to win even when not playing their best. In my mind, that is the sign of a good team – to win on the road not playing your best. I expect them to win tonight, though, again they better come to play. B/c GHS is not a dominant offensive team, they will play lots of tight games. But their half-court defense can be really, really good. I am still surprised why they don’t extend their defense to traps or even full-court?

Second, props to CCHS. We lost this same game 1 year ago by 30 and it was not that close. That is have far we have come. But not far enough! We had no points from our posts (Nikki/Kelsey) and the defense shut down Shannon and holding her to only three. Based on these reason alone, I would have said, it would have been another 20 point game. So some props to our defense, though we are still vulnerable on the defensive boards. And props to our guards and perimeter play. Morgan dominated. Actually in hindsight, wished that she had been a bit more selfish when she was penetrating. And some props to Coach O’Neil. He kept the girls in the game. I am still waiting for Morgan and Shannon to be at their best offensively in the same game.

However, we still lost. Opportunities just don’t come that often. Now, because of losing to Cherokee at home (and to Cherokee and East when the season was on the line), we will now pay the piper and go on the road. We have not played nearly as well on the road.

Tonight, first. A must win for the program. CCHS has played in the consolation game the past six years (I think) and lost them all. We need to show improvement over last year. I don’t believe the emotion of losing Friday, will have an effect tonight. Remember, these are still 15 and 16 year old girls. They hurt lots Friday and Saturday, but they are now over that. A tough game tonight for us for 2 reasons. First, in the first conference game of the year, Jeff beat us, no embarrassed us, by 28 points, the worst loss of the year. We only scored 21 points. While we lost other games, notably Rutledge and Cherokee (2), because we played their deliberate games, Jeff just destroyed us. Beat us worse than anyone else. Second, a little revenge for last year. I look for a tight game with the winner being decided b/w whoever has the better game – Kelsey Elliot or Shannon Depew. We lose tonight, it will not be b/c of Friday night but b/c a better team won.

I still cant believe CC outrebounded GHS 26-23.

And as you saw 3 of those rebounds by GHS were on the offensive end on one possession...leading to 2 costly points.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does HE know? He was probably listening to the SG game.

Or interviewing Duncan about their game for the next night.

I still cant believe CC outrebounded GHS 26-23.

And as you saw 3 of those rebounds by GHS were on the offensive end on one possession...leading to 2 costly points.

GHS had everything going bad for them the whole game. They were very lucky to survive!

I only want to know what Raiderray thinks. :)

Man, what an open ended question!!!!

I think Crumbey has grown a lot this year!! Now, before you start in, let me explain. At a preseason scrimmage at South Greene, I saw a very uptight coach BEFORE the scrimmage, and she didn't loosen up much during the scrimmage, even though her players appeared to be doing everything she asked for.

Fast Forward to the Ladies Classic. She plays, basicly, 6 girls the first two games of the tournament, and pays for it in game three when her mainline players all dropped from fatigue at the same time. She also seemed to have no patience with anyone on the court except Carter and Deans. It appeared several girls were on a "don't you dare shoot" leash, and they played that way. She was doing a lot of quick changes of personnel, and that does not inspire confidence in players.

Post Christmas - First Morristown West, and then Jefferson County (at least for a half) showed you could beat Greeneville if you were willing to give up the long shot to them, because they weren't going to take the shot. I think beginning with that week, she started to lenghten her bench a little (last Friday's game not withstanding), and started letting McIntyre and Lamons take the open shot. As a result, they rattle off 14(?) wins in a row, and are poised for the State run.

In a nutshell, I think she started the season believing only in Dickson, Deans and Carter, and has grown to understand that McIntyre, Lamons and Collins are solid options and threats. If I had told you at the Ladies Classic that McIntyre would be the favorite going into the Championship game to be the MVP, you would have checked me in for observation.

This is going to be a strong conference next year. The only school that I think has major concerns would be West, they are graduating a bunch of Seniors. Cherokee will be playing 3 or 4 Seniors, Jeff will be also, Cocke County will miss Bryant's size inside, but it just might free up some room also. Greeneville has to replace Deans, which will be harder than I would have believed at the start of the year. East graduates a lot of experience, but then when you play 15 all the time, that might negate that problem.

Tonight - Greeneville and Cocke County. West won the game they wanted Friday night. Cocke County has the home crowd to help.

Good health to all! Whatever happens tonight, we need a solid IMAC playing Friday! :)

Tonight - Greeneville and Cocke County. West won the game they wanted Friday night. Cocke County has the home crowd to help.

Good health to all! Whatever happens tonight, we need a solid IMAC playing Friday! :)

Since RR has already chimed in, I don't have a problem making the same to picks.

I'll add a stipulation to the consolation game though. If someone other than Buda reaches double figures for CC, the Roost Troop will win. If not, then it will be a close game down the stretch, and I like JC to make their free throws.

I don't disagree with you PT I was just stating an observation which a few people were thinking the other night. If I were in her shoes I probably would have turned it over or just wanted to get rid of it. I in no way was knocking her because she played a heck of a game.

Well DZ guess thats how it has to be then, just keep wearing it. But you might need to have everyone you know buy something because they do have a very big payroll to meet now. LOL

You guys be careful going to the games and good luck to all our district teams next week in the regionals.

Small observation for the Sun comments. The fact that there are definitely smaller sections for the girl's games is an obvious and there are very few coaching comments in there. Some reporters, no names mentioned have always tried to get coaches to say what they wanted them to say, hterefore the reporters could have written the article without speaking to them. That is not what reporting is about. Report the game and its facts and let the gossip and other things take place here and on other message boards. All teams deserve to have the best coverage and with 5 high schools within 1 county, it is very difficult to have every school covered on a even plane. How many high schools have the same reporter cover baseketball and football all year long. Most of the time it may be 1 paper, but different reporters.

One side note: The girls game was played on a Friday night and the Sun has a deadline due to their Saturday paper running early in the morning. Without knowing too much about technology, the story has to be written at the office, which gave them little time to get it in. The boys game was played on a Saturday, and with no paper running on Sunday, that gave them all of the time in the world to get additional comments. Who knows, they might have even stayed in Newport the other night also.

Good luck to Coach Crumley and all of the girls tonight. Bring home the District Championship and get to work on the Regionals.

Small observation for the Sun comments. The fact that there are definitely smaller sections for the girl's games is an obvious and there are very few coaching comments in there. Some reporters, no names mentioned have always tried to get coaches to say what they wanted them to say, hterefore the reporters could have written the article without speaking to them. That is not what reporting is about. Report the game and its facts and let the gossip and other things take place here and on other message boards. All teams deserve to have the best coverage and with 5 high schools within 1 county, it is very difficult to have every school covered on a even plane. How many high schools have the same reporter cover baseketball and football all year long. Most of the time it may be 1 paper, but different reporters.

One side note: The girls game was played on a Friday night and the Sun has a deadline due to their Saturday paper running early in the morning. Without knowing too much about technology, the story has to be written at the office, which gave them little time to get it in. The boys game was played on a Saturday, and with no paper running on Sunday, that gave them all of the time in the world to get additional comments. Who knows, they might have even stayed in Newport the other night also.

Good luck to Coach Crumley and all of the girls tonight. Bring home the District Championship and get to work on the Regionals.

The boys have played on Friday night all season and the Sun usually finds the time to get an extensive report in on time for the Saturday deadline. The was no GHS boys game on Friday so Shelton made the trip to Newport specifically to cover the girl's game. I would have expected better.

The boys have played on Friday night all season and the Sun usually finds the time to get an extensive report in on time for the Saturday deadline. The was no GHS boys game on Friday so Shelton made the trip to Newport specifically to cover the girl's game. I would have expected better.

I can completely understand deadlines sometimes affecting stories, but this has been noticable all season as many have pointed out on here. When GHS boys were ranked #1 in state, they got a large story with many Duncan quotes. When the girls were ranked #1 they got a blurb with a couple of sentences.

By the way, CC took it to Jeff County tonight with Buda scoring only one field goal.

Region Match-ups??? Whst does everyone else think?

Greeneville hosts Sullivan South

Mo. West hosts Daniel Boone

Science Hill hosts Cocke County

TN High hosts Jefferson County

Nope, sorry.

My Lady Trailblazers have thrown a monkey-wrench in the bracket up here. So bring the roosters or patriots on up here to beautiful downtown Gray, Tennessee, cause it's Daniel Boone and TN High in the championship game.

I'm seeing:

Greeneville hosts Sullivan South

Mo.West hosts Science Hill

Daniel Boone hosts Cocke County

TN High hosts Jeff County

Although the way Boone is playing, I wouldn't bet against them beating TN High.

If Greeneville was to go to the dance and If DZ goes to cover the Greeneville team the only thing that we would ask is that he lose the "A" cap while he is covering them............................LOL

On a more serious note, hats off to Cocke County for playing a very good game Friday night. It was very entertaining and if they continue to play that well they might do well in the region. Buda played a fantastic game. I wonder what everyone else thinks about the end of the game when she got the ball and was driving down court? I felt she should have taken the ball to the hole and she would have either gotten fouled or hit the shot but she decided to pull up, maybe part of being a freshman and if she were more experienced she would have gone to the hole. just curious about if anyone else thought about it. Seemed Greeneville had problems stopping her off the dribble all night.

i thought the same thing but you cant blame her for passing it to the open girl. i guess she was just being a team player. i would rather have a layup attempt than a 15 footer. if they can get by the first region game, i actually think they can put out the lady devils. i think there main problem was inexperience and now that they have played a game like that, they can get done the next time.