Greeneville VS Dobyns-Bennett

udave56

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(barb @ Feb 26 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826389870[/snapback]Oh Waco, if this is a coaching duel, I'm backing Billy D. He was hilarious Sat nite against Volunteer.

I didn't see a lot of "coaching" other than give it to the biggest guy on the floor and stand around and watch. Say what you will about his coaching during a game but his team was flat ran out and tired in the 4th qtr so I would say he has done a poor job of coaching conditioning his team and that is a place that a Charlie Morgan team will never be outcoached at is conditioning.

"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail." John Wooden

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:30 AM) 826392795[/snapback]I didn't see a lot of "coaching" other than give it to the biggest guy on the floor and stand around and watch. Say what you will about his coaching during a game but his team was flat ran out and tired in the 4th qtr so I would say he has done a poor job of coaching conditioning his team and that is a place that a Charlie Morgan team will never be outcoached at is conditioning.

"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail." John Wooden

But was he funny? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Congrats to D-B. They hung in every time I thought GHS was going to make a run and separate themselves. D-B got solid performances from several players; they did not have to rely on a "hot hand". It did appear that D-B got stronger at the end of the game whereas GHS peaked in the 2nd qtr. Good luck to D-B the rest of the way (I will always pull for NET area teams). Congrats to GHS for a great season and good luck to all the seniors. You will be missed!

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:09 AM) 826392772[/snapback]I saw Duncan arguing the kid didn't have 5 but surely someone should have that officially scored and know for sure...but after the refs called a charge and a block on the same play I realized they couldn't handle the situation. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I've seen lots of basketball, but I'd never seen a block and a charge on the same play until last night. Officiating was very poor for this game.

On the coaching side, I'd have to question Duncan. He has a 6'7" guy(Wiggins) that could score inside (or at least get the foul call). When he was matched up against the much smaller #22, they never went back inside to him. I feel confident that he could have exploited this mis-match time after time.

I watched Duncan coach in the state tournament a few years ago with 6'10" Matt Malone, and he let Malone stay on the perimeter most of the game. In this case, it was also on obvious mis-match, but Duncan doesn't seem to be a believer in pounding the ball inside. Wiggins is a great shooter, but he wasn't having a great second half, so it seems that his post game was the obvious 2nd choice.

QUOTE(B-Ball Fan @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:54 AM) 826392836[/snapback]I watched Duncan coach in the state tournament a few years ago with 6'10" Matt Malone, and he let Malone stay on the perimeter most of the game. In this case, it was also on obvious mis-match, but Duncan doesn't seem to be a believer in pounding the ball inside. Wiggins is a great shooter, but he wasn't having a great second half, so it seems that his post game was the obvious 2nd choice.

I will have to agree on the side of Duncan. Coach Duncan coaches a player to his potential and does not succumb to our height problem in East TN. Wiggins will not play a post wherever he goes (if he has not already decided). At 6'7" in college and the NBA, Wiggins will have to play guard or wingman. I applaud Duncan for putting him where he will be in college and developing that talent. Can we just say that DB was better than Greeneville last night. That's what it comes down to in the playoffs, not criticizing or questioning a coach's decision. Every team that made it to the Regionals, made it because of what they developed in the regular season. Why should he have changed his coaching? I listened to the game on the radio, and DB made adjustments at halftime. Greeneville had a great season, no question about that, but you can only get so far with two offensive players. When a good defensive team makes the correct adjustments and makes the other players beat you, that 's just plain old fashion good coaching and team work. Congrats to DB and Science Hill!!!! I know you will represent our area well. GOD Bless!!!!

To question Coach Duncan would be crazy on my part. He has over 700 wins as a coach. I do think that they should have put Wiggins on the block in the second half and just pound it in to him. No one on DB's team was stopping him. I think that if Lance Bailey would have played more during the season he would have been able to help them out a lot more than he did. Sometimes I sit there and watch the game and don't understand why Duncan is always barking at one of his players. I guess that is just his style. Greeneville accomplished far more than anyone expected them to. They worked hard and proved that you don't have to have all the talent in the world to compete. All you need is some kids that will buy into a sytem and work their butts off.

For the Regional Championship game I have to pick Science Hill. I think if they play the way they did last night then they will get the victory.

QUOTE(Challenger @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826392913[/snapback]Hey IMAC Fan , my e-mail is raderba@yahoo.com if you want to send me a not and let me know exactly what it is you don't like about my play-by-play.

Just some one complaining about nothing. I think that you do an excellent job at calling the games. I have heard announcers all year long and you by far do the best job. I think you know what you are talking about and you have a way of letting people feel like they are at the game. Keep up the good work. I have enjoyed the interviews with the coaches after the games.

QUOTE(Stokomo @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:27 AM) 826392884[/snapback]I will have to agree on the side of Duncan. Coach Duncan coaches a player to his potential and does not succumb to our height problem in East TN. Wiggins will not play a post wherever he goes (if he has not already decided). At 6'7" in college and the NBA, Wiggins will have to play guard or wingman. I applaud Duncan for putting him where he will be in college and developing that talent. Can we just say that DB was better than Greeneville last night. That's what it comes down to in the playoffs, not criticizing or questioning a coach's decision. Every team that made it to the Regionals, made it because of what they developed in the regular season. Why should he have changed his coaching? I listened to the game on the radio, and DB made adjustments at halftime. Greeneville had a great season, no question about that, but you can only get so far with two offensive players. When a good defensive team makes the correct adjustments and makes the other players beat you, that 's just plain old fashion good coaching and team work. Congrats to DB and Science Hill!!!! I know you will represent our area well. GOD Bless!!!!

I don't disagree with anything about coaching him to his potential. The fact is, Wiggins wasn't particularly effective in the second half. 2nd fact, often in the second half, he was being guarded in the low post by a much smaller player. He could have scored or been sent to the free throw line on most every possession. When he was being guarded by the big guys and/or he was hitting outside, it's fine to leave him on the wing. You listened on radio, so you couldn't see how he was able to operate in the low post. As Wiggins tired, his shots weren't falling. I'd like to see his numbers(shooting %) by half or by quarter, becasue I'm sure they would back me up.

The point is, when this got down to being a 1 or 2 point game, they should have gone to the higher percentage shot. I'm not saying that Duncan shold have made a post player out of him for the entire season or for this entire game. At this point, it's win or go home. It has NOTHING to do with him being a wing or guard in college.

In a 1 point game, I like my chances with a 6'7' player against a 6'2" or 6'1" player. I'm not taking shots at Wiggins, because he was a special player. I'm glad we got a season and a half from him. He represents East Tennessee well, as I hope Wattad does. I'd love to see these 2 do well at the next level.

It's tough to beat a large school like DB with only 6 players, but Greeneville made it interesting.

Hey Waco, remember back a few weeks ago when I said Capt. Morgan would right this ship and D-B would make a serious run at the state? I guess I was 100% Correct!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Congrats to SH and D-B for representing District 1. Wiggins is by far the best player in this area. Anyone know where he's going to college?