Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

I agree, I don't think they do. I think all the games, FB and BB, the Skogens played in last year will be forfeited along with all titles, etc. The Larson-Ridley deal, if found to be true will simply add to the penalties. From what I know and have heard I don't think the TSSAA can rule in any other way. Their may be some things come out that change my opinion because it is still under investigation but right now I think that is where the penalties start.

Thanks

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not look at the REAL senario? The Skogens played without paying tuition. Clerical error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Chastain's kid played illegally in last season's final games. Coaches error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. CSAS kids practicing spring football and playing in the spring scrimmage. Coaches error, AD's error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Booster recruiting of players from other schools. Booster error, AD error, Coach's error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Not self-reporting. Principal error, AD error, Coach's error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Unfortunately for TTA, "ignorance of the rules" is not a valid defense.

I think the official finding will be "Lack of Institutional Control" with references to these and any other violations that the TSSAA digs up. I think that punishment will be worst case senario for TTA instead of the minimum. Thousands of dollars, lost titles, lost records and loss of future games loom. Coming off the Supreme Court victory agains BA, I think the TSSAA will use this opportunity to solidify their standing as the governing body of Tennessee high school athletics. Like everyone else on this board.... this is just my opion.....

GOOD POST NOW ANSWER ME ON THAT OTHER THREAD

How can you not know that a kid from another school cant be on your football team? You at least have to ask a few questions about it.

I could understand if you break a rule that deals with how much you can practice or playing in a summer league or something like that, but how can you not know that recruiting and paying school bills are rules? I guarantee that these people knew what they were doing, and saying they didnt know the rules is their easiest cop out.

I agree. I admit I don't know squat about the TSSAA rules. But this should be common sense. And Caleb Marcum not knowing then calling TSSAA and said someone there told him it was okay but he didn't know who told him that? For one, I would err on the cautious side as not to get the school and my athletic program in trouble and have a bad name. And secondly, I would think the whole situation whether it was legal by TSSAA rules or not was kind of fishy and not do this kind of stuff. I would hold my program and my school to a higher standard since it's a Christian school. I would have told him when they transfer then they could practice, and I would have had questions about how they got there. But maybe that's just me. Looks like Marcum being an inexperienced first time AD is really going to bite them.

most of us in the chatt. area could agree that this is an unbelievably awful situation for temple. i wonder, since temple is experiencing a PR nightmare, how other small private schools are thought of? are people likely to lump all small privates into this same debacle? i have a feeling that the other small privates may need to really vamp up their own PR to not be associated with this.

I bet there have been MANY meetings between Principals and AD's within the last few days. But I don't think it would be limited to privates. I'll bet there are some public schools that want to cross their t's and dot their i's.

As it should be, both public and private TSSAA members.

I bet there have been MANY meetings between Principals and AD's within the last few days. But I don't think it would be limited to privates. I'll bet there are some public schools that want to cross their t's and dot their i's.

Easy PG Don't go there. Save that one for a thread in the future. You need to stick to the topic "Temple in Trouble?" Its hard to believe that the cooperation by Temple has not been overwhelming to the TSSAA. The article in the paper this morning makes it sound like their still in denial. JMO

Here's a thought to consider. The handbook only says that the skogen kids could not receive financial aid. The issue is really about whether they received financial aid (or free tuition). The article said that Kevin asked to be paid the amount of his kids tuition. He did not receive a check or a bill, so he, apparently, assumed that the check he was to have received for his services was applied to his bill. We keep making that a bigger deal than what it is. The handbook does not address how tuition is to be paid or how coaches are to be compensated, only that they cannot receive financial aid. The Skogens' did not receive financial aid or free tuition.

Scott's issue is the trickier of issues. He has not proven himself to be trustworthy, so, I am inclined to not put much stake on what he says, even though, he may be telling the truth. His son was in 8th grade so it does not matter if he received free tuition as far as being a middle schooler, what does matter is whether his son was legal to play on the high school team. Was the son even listed on the team roster? I am sure that Skogen would not have allowed him or any of the other players to play if not. The tuition issue is not one that may be easily resolved on the boards wihtout more factual information. According to one poster's reference to U.S.J., if Scott refused to pay his bill, at what point was he technically late? does the TSSAA intrude into school policies so deep that they tell the administration when a kid's school bill has to be paid? At Temple, some people pay all their bill, up front before school starts. Some pay it over 10-12 months. Some get behind. For the ones who get behind, if they make payment arrangements with the office to make up for the missed payments, are they still considered in violation? At what point did Scott get a bill? When would he have technically considered behind when he had not paid his bill? I think Scott's reporting of not paying tuition at Temple is more intended to bash the school and is somewhat suspect based upon the unreliability of other things that he is quoted saying in the paper and things he said on the radio. By Scott's own words on the radio, he understood that Dr. Pearson was going to try and work something out where he would be paid for his services in such a way that his son's tuition could be taken care of. Right now, it does sound more like an attempted cover up by both parties and that Scott did receive free tuition for his son.

In the Skogen tuition issue it seems that both parties had a very clear understanding that would have been better written out on paper but not a violation. In the Chastain tuition issue, it smells kind of fishy to me. Do you not agree?

I have to say that when I got on here early this morning and read the posts from people I really expected there to be a lot more Temple bashing and I just want to say how much I have appreciated reading your honest opinions, fair questions, and truthful comments. Thank you!

As I read the paper early this moring, trembling with anticipation, I was surprised at how unshocking the article really was. Steven did an excellent job filling in a lot of holes but we all have been on here discussing the basic things for some time now. There were not any real surprises to any of us, were there? The article seemed much more conclusive and, even though we have not heard from the TSSAA, there appear to be some very incriminating quotes. Coach Dragoo has no beef with Temple that I know of and he is very well respected. I commend and applaud him for doing what our leaders should have done. I appreciate him caring enough to at least give us an opportunity to self-report. I would like to hear more about Caleb's statement that he did call the TSSAA to find out if it was alright for the kids to play. Sounds, like he may have made a critical mistake by not knowing who he talked to and getting something in writing. That could have been a very costly mistake. You have to learn some how.

Here's a thought to consider. The handbook only says that the skogen kids could not receive financial aid. The issue is really about whether they received financial aid (or free tuition). The article said that Kevin asked to be paid the amount of his kids tuition. He did not receive a check or a bill, so he, apparently, assumed that the check he was to have received for his services was applied to his bill. We keep making that a bigger deal than what it is. The handbook does not address how tuition is to be paid or how coaches are to be compensated, only that they cannot receive financial aid. The Skogens' did not receive financial aid or free tuition.

Are we also assuming that Temple paid the proper taxes on this earned money and did Mr Skogens file it on his Taxes? He couldn't have done that because he would have gotten a statement or a check stub! Keep reaching and I will keep reading.

Private schools have to recruit students so they are under the microscope so much more than public schools. I think the lack of knowledge about the rules is pretty widespread and all coaches and responsible admin needs to take time to learn them

Scott's issue is the trickier of issues. He has not proven himself to be trustworthy, so, I am inclined to not put much stake on what he says, even though, he may be telling the truth. His son was in 8th grade so it does not matter if he received free tuition as far as being a middle schooler, what does matter is whether his son was legal to play on the high school team. Was the son even listed on the team roster? I am sure that Skogen would not have allowed him or any of the other players to play if not. The tuition issue is not one that may be easily resolved on the boards wihtout more factual information. According to one poster's reference to U.S.J., if Scott refused to pay his bill, at what point was he technically late? does the TSSAA intrude into school policies so deep that they tell the administration when a kid's school bill has to be paid? At Temple, some people pay all their bill, up front before school starts. Some pay it over 10-12 months. Some get behind. For the ones who get behind, if they make payment arrangements with the office to make up for the missed payments, are they still considered in violation? At what point did Scott get a bill? When would he have technically considered behind when he had not paid his bill? I think Scott's reporting of not paying tuition at Temple is more intended to bash the school and is somewhat suspect based upon the unreliability of other things that he is quoted saying in the paper and things he said on the radio. By Scott's own words on the radio, he understood that Dr. Pearson was going to try and work something out where he would be paid for his services in such a way that his son's tuition could be taken care of. Right now, it does sound more like an attempted cover up by both parties and that Scott did receive free tuition for his son.

In the Skogen tuition issue it seems that both parties had a very clear understanding that would have been better written out on paper but not a violation. In the Chastain tuition issue, it smells kind of fishy to me. Do you not agree?

I have to say that when I got on here early this morning and read the posts from people I really expected there to be a lot more Temple bashing and I just want to say how much I have appreciated reading your honest opinions, fair questions, and truthful comments. Thank you!

As I read the paper early this moring, trembling with anticipation, I was surprised at how unshocking the article really was. Steven did an excellent job filling in a lot of holes but we all have been on here discussing the basic things for some time now. There were not any real surprises to any of us, were there? The article seemed much more conclusive and, even though we have not heard from the TSSAA, there appear to be some very incriminating quotes. Coach Dragoo has no beef with Temple that I know of and he is very well respected. I commend and applaud him for doing what our leaders should have done. I appreciate him caring enough to at least give us an opportunity to self-report. I would like to hear more about Caleb's statement that he did call the TSSAA to find out if it was alright for the kids to play. Sounds, like he may have made a critical mistake by not knowing who he talked to and getting something in writing. That could have been a very costly mistake. You have to learn some how.

You can come on here with 10 pages not writing it out on paper is exactly why it is a violation whether they agreed or whatever the tssaa wants proof of anything and when you refused to report it or keep a paper trail it is lack of control and is worst then the school of jackson they fell behind and couldnt show proof.DENIAL,DENIAL,DENIAL