Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

The article said that Kevin asked to be paid the amount of his kids tuition. He did not receive a check or a bill, so he, apparently, assumed that the check he was to have received for his services was applied to his bill.

So he assumed he got out of taxes on this money also? If they paid him the money it would have to have been taxed and then he would pay his bill. After Social security and income tax was deducted. A tax evasion issue here also. You cant swap out salaries without paying tax. Surely we all know that. If this in fact occured Temple has tax issues to consider also. Are they going to pay his FICA and SS on this amount in Kevins name? Seems they dont know any laws or rules. How have they stayed in business this long?

Coach Skogen's personal finances are none of your business, and you are presumptuous to think that they are. As to Temple's end of it, well, speculation is understandable.

Further, in regards to the Skogens paying or not paying the tuition, if that is deemed a violation of the rules, it isn't a major infraction. The boys would have been on the field/court regardless. The punishment should fit the crime, and to take away all records, wins, etc. etc. isn't fair punishment.

Of course, if other violations are discovered that's another story. I suppose we'll know soon enough.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not look at the REAL senario? The Skogens played without paying tuition. Clerical error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Chastain's kid played illegally in last season's final games. Coaches error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. CSAS kids practicing spring football and playing in the spring scrimmage. Coaches error, AD's error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Booster recruiting of players from other schools. Booster error, AD error, Coach's error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Not self-reporting. Principal error, AD error, Coach's error, ignorance of the rules or whatever you want to call it, IT IS A VIOLATION. Unfortunately for TTA, "ignorance of the rules" is not a valid defense.

I think the official finding will be "Lack of Institutional Control" with references to these and any other violations that the TSSAA digs up. I think that punishment will be worst case senario for TTA instead of the minimum. Thousands of dollars, lost titles, lost records and loss of future games loom. Coming off the Supreme Court victory agains BA, I think the TSSAA will use this opportunity to solidify their standing as the governing body of Tennessee high school athletics. Like everyone else on this board.... this is just my opion.....

Old Pirate agrees, GOOD POST PG.....................to the point,how can TT fans continue to be in denial??????????

Wow....... it is obvious.......... TT fans are kinda like some Bama fans thinking the Bear still lives and Tide still rolls..... denial..........

Go War Eagles...........................................

Here is one thing I have been wandering.

Skogen mentioned he knew there were issues with chastain. Why did he keep him on the football staff? Did he not have the right to say we don't do things like that so you can't be on our staff.

Does the coach not decide who is on their staff, or is it different at Temple?

How do you know Coach Skogen didn't warn Chastain of these things? Remember the first article in the TFP. Coaches Beard and Skogen were open about their concerns.

I do not believe that coaches have ultimate say who is or not on the staff. Doesn't an AD have to approve, fire, etc?

So he assumed he got out of taxes on this money also? If they paid him the money it would have to have been taxed and then he would pay his bill. After Social security and income tax was deducted. A tax evasion issue here also. You cant swap out salaries without paying tax. Surely we all know that. If this in fact occured Temple has tax issues to consider also. Are they going to pay his FICA and SS on this amount in Kevins name? Seems they dont know any laws or rules. How have they stayed in business this long?

Another can of worms has been opened.

Old Pirate agrees, GOOD POST PG.....................to the point,how can TT fans continue to be in denial??????????

Wow....... it is obvious.......... TT fans are kinda like some Bama fans thinking the Bear still lives and Tide still rolls..... denial..........

Go War Eagles...........................................

I'll remember those words come October

Farmboy, if you want people to have any clue what you're saying try using a comma here or there.

Old Pirate says, Farm Boy, you know their are a lot of english majors on this tread............. being from the country,OP thinks FB posts is OK.............. Ha, Old Pirate made a few errors also, make changes....

na...... a list our posts are not full of denial....... we're just country boys (?), oh heavens, that could be considered denial.......................................................................... we may have more in common than we think with these TT fans

For you guys that may be more savvy on the TSSASA handbook rather than IRS handbook

Temple would not have withheld taxes from Kevin Skogen's check, regardless. He would have been considered an independent contractor (self-employed) by the IRS. They would, however, be required to issue him a 1099 Misc. Income form by the end of January following the tax year in question since the amount or value in question is greater than $500.

Where Temple will surely get nailed is if they did not issue a 1099 this past January for the 2006 tax year when Skogen coached football. If they did not issue him a 1099, then they are dead in the water. They can say whatever they want to the TSSAA. The IRS is not forgiving or lax about paper trails, trust me.

Further, in regards to the Skogens paying or not paying the tuition, if that is deemed a violation of the rules, it isn't a major infraction. The boys would have been on the field/court regardless. The punishment should fit the crime, and to take away all records, wins, etc. etc. isn't fair punishment.

Skogen did not pay the tuition for his sons, he admitted that, and if they are found to be ineligible the TSSAA rules require that all games that the ineligible player(s) participated in are forfeited. There is no leeway on this penalty. The loss of individual or team records is an additional penalty that can be taken. Since additional violations occured and self-reporting was not done I believe they will be stripped of all titles and fined too

Forfeitures

Section 11. All rulings on eligibility must be in writing, and the accidental, intentional or other use of ineligible players by a member school shall require that team victories in which the ineligible player participated are forfeited to opponents; and any one or more of these additional actions may be taken:

(a) That individual or team records and performances achieved during participation by such ineligibles be vacated or stricken;

(B) That team or individual awards earned by such ineligibles be returned to the TSSAA; and

© That a fine for the playing of an ineligible player be assessed against the school, if deemed necessary.

Temple needs Wadley back, he new the rules so well that he could find his way around getting caught

I do not agree with your post but it did make me laugh!

Purplegrad, you need to go back and read the paper again. They were not quoted saying any of those things. Kevin said they did not send me a check and they did not send me a bill.

If Coach Skogen was paid whatever amount for football and basketball and to keep it legitimate, a 1099 would have had to be issued at the end of 2006 to show what he had earned to that point. A certain amount would have had to been designated for football and a certain amount for basketball. You can't just say "give me this amount to coach" there has to be SOMETHING SPECIFIC as to how much you are paid for what. If a 1099 with this information was not sent, then there are more problems for those involved including the school. Coach Skogen can claim correctly to the IRS that he did not receive a 1099, but he will still have to pay taxes on the amount in question. Temple could be in some serious issues for not issuing the 1099. If you think the TSSAA is tough to deal with, imagine the IRS with a non-profit messing up their bookkeeping!