Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

Stephen Hargis has written more stories on Temple than any other small school around. He is the prep editor and has a choice about who he writes about. if he was trying to sell newspapers, he wouldnt choose a school that only had 100 kids!

For a school of only 100 kids they have done very well in BB and football. Sounds pretty newsworthy to me even if the recruting allegations had not surfaced repeatedly

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should suffer the consequences and do it joyfully. If you do not mind, though, I think I will wait until the TSSAA makes an official ruling before I bend over and grab my toes

Best start practicing the bend position. Relax, it works better than tightening. They had corporal punishment when I went to school. I'm experienced.

I don't think people are confused to how they have had success, I don't think confusion was ever a factor then or now. Most of us in this business knew this would one day happen. Temple has built there program in a short time with several kids from other schools, and expect people to be happy about it, or turn a blind eye to how it has happend. I know coaches are probably not to happy having to rebuild through their middle school programs and having to compete with schools who are reloading through other schools programs. As far as being jealous, what coach in 1A ball wouldn't mind having a second string QB from Rhea Co. or a full back and QB from some big North Georgia school, I would say you are probably right on that account.

Preach it! POSSUM

We should suffer the consequences and do it joyfully. If you do not mind, though, I think I will wait until the TSSAA makes an official ruling before I bend over and grab my toes

Best start practicing the bend position. Relax, it works better than tightening. They had corporal punishment when I went to school. I'm experienced.

So you are experenced. Be careful MO$$$$$. I'm not sure a spanking is what he was talking about. Like in don't drop the soap...

I hear banjos

Now thats funny.

I'm sure Stump has an axe to grind against Temple. That's why he and his staff spent a ton of their own money on equipment and gas - without getting paid a dime by the way - to follow Temple around the entire season to cover their state basketball championships and football games. That's why Stump had his guy put together a special DVD for their first state basketball championship. You think he did it for the money? He knew Temple people were the only ones that would buy them and the only person that made any money off of it, if any, was the production guy. Stump never took a dime from the sale of any of them.

Stump doesn't get paid to do television, nor does he do it for ratings. The story is out there. Like he says, if the story is on the street, it's news. This is one of the biggest, albeit saddest stories, that Chattanooga high school sports have seen in a long time. I'm sure he would much rather be reporting on anything else and keep promoting the kids, but he's also a member of the media and has a job to do. So does Stephen Hargis and I haven't seen one thing in any of his stories that tells me he has a bias against Temple. He does an excellent job on all his stories and all he's doing now is trying to get the fact and present them in an objective manner. He has no agenda, neither does Stump.

A few things that we have gathered so far on this thread to get us all up to speed. First, the hammer is going to fall. There is no stopping that now. The thing is that we don't know how light or how hard it will fall.

Second, we don't know how many violations (Mr. Carters word) are actually being investigated. We don't know exactly how many reports have been filed to the TSSAA.

Third, we don't know how far back this reaches. Is it just in the last few months? Does it go back further? No one seems to know for sure.

Fourth, there are other allegations that have yet to be mentioned. Some of which probably do not involve the TSSAA. Some of which I hope do not make it to the message boards. In my opinion they have no place here. Although message boards are a good source of gossip and juicy rumors.

Fifth, no one knows how long it will take the TSSAA to sort through everything so there is no telling when it will be before we hear anything definite from them. Right now the paper work seems to be getting deeper instead shallow.

Sixth, we do know, thanks to zonepirate, that another article is coming out tomorrow that will shed more light on things. The article is not coming out because anyone is out to get Temple, or because of any hidden agendas. This is a big news story in the area and it hugely concerns the TSSAA.

Last, this is not just causing a big black eye for Temple. It is causing one for all private schools. Christian schools as well. Plus, as was said the other day, it is driving the wedge between publics and privates even deeper.

I know there is probably more to be mentioned but this was all I had time to think of.

I'm sure Stump has an axe to grind against Temple. That's why he and his staff spent a ton of their own money on equipment and gas - without getting paid a dime by the way - to follow Temple around the entire season to cover their state basketball championships and football games. That's why Stump had his guy put together a special DVD for their first state basketball championship. You think he did it for the money? He knew Temple people were the only ones that would buy them and the only person that made any money off of it, if any, was the production guy. Stump never took a dime from the sale of any of them.

Stump doesn't get paid to do television, nor does he do it for ratings. The story is out there. Like he says, if the story is on the street, it's news. This is one of the biggest, albeit saddest stories, that Chattanooga high school sports have seen in a long time. I'm sure he would much rather be reporting on anything else and keep promoting the kids, but he's also a member of the media and has a job to do. So does Stephen Hargis and I haven't seen one thing in any of his stories that tells me he has a bias against Temple. He does an excellent job on all his stories and all he's doing now is trying to get the fact and present them in an objective manner. He has no agenda, neither does Stump.

very good post