Maryville @ Alcoa

the1andonly13

Yes, it's true. His name is Emmitt Smith, and, although he looks much older than 17, his birth certificate refutes any assesrtions that he might be older than he claims and that he previously set some records in the NFL...

In a related story, we also have a new defensive back who likes to be called "Pacman." I'm not sure where we find these undiscovered gems, but this guy's amazing. He has a problem getting in by curfew and spends a little too much time hanging out at the dance team's practices, but he's got one year of eligibility and is looking to make an impact.

We're apparently scouting a really agile quarterback out of Atlanta as well. Stay tuned.

Look out everyone, here come the Rebels!

That's funny.. Hope all that works out for ya..

I'm taking Maryville in what will be a great game and great atmoshere of two storied schools.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papa you are one of the best on here.

I'll cheer for WB all year long with the exception of two games I'll cheer for Heritage over WB. I used to pull hard for Alcoa but now I just can't bring myself to cheer for Alcoa any more. They do talk too much trash all year long for my taste and 2A in East TN is a real cake walk. When they do face a real quality team, like MHS, Fulton they normally fold and fall apart like a cheap toy. I wish them well but I don't pull for them ether. So I am with you.

Thank you, sir.

So, by the way, where are all the Alcoa faithful this year? It's not like them to be so quiet prior to the annual showdown...even if they do have another game before they play us. Actually, it's also not unlike them to be quiet the day, the week, the month and the year after we beat them. Right up until kickoff it's always their year, and immediately after the game ends...next year is suddenly their year and the most recent defeat can be explained away by a missing player or a short roster.

But this season I'm hearing nothing.

Well now, guess I should put in my thought on this one.

Maryville Red Rebels 31, Alcoa Tornado's 27

....but it'll seem alot closer as it does every year.

Stay hydrated.

Hope folks are smart enough to bring their own water..(put a couple of 1/2 bottles in the freezer and fill before you go to the game).

Hot to go!

Reguards to the Board.

Mapp

There's just so much that I could say on this subject that I'm not quite sure where to begin...

1. Familiarity breeds contempt. Everyone who's not a Rebel fan must get really sick of hearing so much about them all year long.

2. Jealousy (for lack of a kinder word). If another team beat mine regularly, I might turn on them as well.

I'm sure that there are many more reasons. The bottom line though is that there's not much room for debate on the accuracy of your statements. I think that the majority of the vocal fans at our neighboring schools do cheer against MHS week in and week out. I say vocal fans because the ones who cheer at the announcement over the PA that MHS is struggling are the ones who get the attention. There may be a silent majority out there who go unnoticed, but if so they are exactly that: unnoticed. That doesn't happen at MHS when the roles are reversed. Now, should MHS go on a losing streak to these other schools, we might see the tide turn with regards to our sentiment toward our competitors.

Having said all of that, I need to point out that I'm a county kid. I graduated from William Blount, and then took a ministry assignment at MHS that has led to my becoming integrated with that school's kids, staff and activities. From a very early age coming up through the football programs in Blount County, I was taught to hate Maryville. Why? I never really knew. We were just supposed to hate them. I think there could be an underlying class warfare mentality going on there. Many perceive MHS to be the "rich school" and therefore see them as easy to hate. Those close to the schools know that MHS like the other schools mirrors the socioeconomic diversity of the area. So, I may be off base a little bit, but I think there could be something to that.

I'll cheer for WB all year long with the exception of one game, and even then I hope to see a great matchup. I'll cheer for Heritage when they don't play WB or MHS. I just can't bring myself to cheer for Alcoa. They talk too much trash all year long for me to swallow it and cheer for them.

you are 100% correct on the thought process of FANS of the other county schools. for some reason MHS is perceived as being snobish. I got/get this first hand as my wife is one of them. The reality is far different than the percoption, but unless you've been involved with maryville or at maryville you wouldn't know this. about your ministry assignment would that be with Young Life? If so I'm sure i know you.

Well now, guess I should put in my thought on this one.

Maryville Red Rebels 31, Alcoa Tornado's 27

....but it'll seem alot closer as it does every year.

Stay hydrated.

Hope folks are smart enough to bring their own water..(put a couple of 1/2 bottles in the freezer and fill before you go to the game).

Hot to go!

Reguards to the Board.

Mapp

Now, Mapp

Remember any money spent at the game goes to the student's activities! Will also be quite a haul for the GOVS this year. DB, Farragut, Ooltewah & Maryville are home games. The band should get new uniforms after this one.

Papa, I hope your ministry teaches forgiveness and tolerance...

Good luck to the Rebels.

Totally...

And I hope I never misrepresent myself on here by being mean-spirited, unforgiving, intolerant, hateful or anything else. I just don't go so far as to cheer for a rival. I've got nothing against anyone, and I wish all the best in life...that doesn't mean we have to cheer for the same sports teams does it?

well well well, Maryville v alcoa week once again. I hope all you Alcoa fans dont think you are going to win this year like you do every year, cause i got news, it aint happnin. Its always the same thing, chatter, its "alcoa's year", then Maryville shows up and dominates the game like it should be dominated. Im saying 7 connections between burnette and douglas, with two of those receptions coming to rest in the end zone. Alcoa has no chance with josh smith and Coach Joe Pinkerton's defensive backs on the field. i mean who knows how many sacks smith will put up in this game...7,8? Calm weather in alcoa's tornado alley as Maryville breezes through with a 37- 13 victory.

Go Rebels,

Rebelraider

well well well, Maryville v alcoa week once again. I hope all you Alcoa fans dont think you are going to win this year like you do every year, cause i got news, it aint happnin. Its always the same thing, chatter, its "alcoa's year", then Maryville shows up and dominates the game like it should be dominated. Im saying 7 connections between burnette and douglas, with two of those receptions coming to rest in the end zone. Alcoa has no chance with josh smith and Coach Joe Pinkerton's defensive backs on the field. i mean who knows how many sacks smith will put up in this game...7,8? Calm weather in alcoa's tornado alley as Maryville breezes through with a 37- 13 victory.

Go Rebels,

Rebelraider

I agree.....Alcoa has no chance. They should just cancel the game and crawl in a hole.

Maryville is the best team in the state till someone beats them.

Maryville is the best in 4A hands down, but not necessarily the best in the state. They do need to play a much tougher schedule and get out of their comfort zone. I saw some clips of Maryville and Alcoa in the jamboree they played in and both teams looked pretty good. Maryville's defense was pretty fast. I think it will give their opponents fits. Alcoa still has that speed as always. My pick is Maryville by 17 pts (34-17).

I'm neither a Maryville or Alcoa fan by any means. Just curious if you all on this thread have seen the ESPN.com Super 25, a list of the nations top 25 high school football programs. Maryville is rated 14 overall and 10 in the "Southland".

This is a great rivalry game for East TN football fans with two great storied programs. Good luck to both teams next week.

Roll Tribe.

Weblink to ESPN.com Super 25: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/...tory?id=2988741