Maryville vs William Blount

REBELRON

Back to business...

Okay, so WB's specialty is defense. Primarily, they are phenomenal at stopping the run and aborting pass attempts before the ball leaves the QB's grip. Also, MHS has a relatively weak running attack this year in comparison to their past standards in that area.

Given this and since WB's defenders simply DO NOT miss tackles, do the Govs have the luxury of laying off the run and utilizing more of their defenders to stop the potent MHS passing attack?

If so, how does that play out?

I think that MHS has a whole stable of receivers who could be running around free all night if the WB pass defense doesn't make some adjustments from when I saw them earlier in the season. And those receivers don't drop balls that often, and the QB doesn't miss them that often. That will translate to points. What will the Govs do to stop it?

Hey Soly, you looking to convert? Us Methodists would love to have you. Not been on here a lot since mine is playing in college and I dropped my Plus membership. Did you move to beautiful Blount county? If so, then welcome it's great to have you in our part of the world....

Yeah, I'm down in Blount Co. now. Moved down in late June. So far I love it, but want to know how you've managed driving Alcoa Why for so many years without snapping? Does Buffet work that well? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I clicked the "send an email" thing on your profile a few weeks back, but I guess you never got it. You've missed a world-o-fun on the open forums.

Yeah, I'm down in Blount Co. now. Moved down in late June. So far I love it, but want to know how you've managed driving Alcoa Why for so many years without snapping? Does Buffet work that well? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I clicked the "send an email" thing on your profile a few weeks back, but I guess you never got it. You've missed a world-o-fun on the open forums.

Buffet works well as does old eagles just don't listen to sports talk radio thats enough to make you wreck yourself /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Back to business...

Okay, so WB's specialty is defense. Primarily, they are phenomenal at stopping the run and aborting pass attempts before the ball leaves the QB's grip. Also, MHS has a relatively weak running attack this year in comparison to their past standards in that area.

Given this and since WB's defenders simply DO NOT miss tackles, do the Govs have the luxury of laying off the run and utilizing more of their defenders to stop the potent MHS passing attack?

If so, how does that play out?

I think that MHS has a whole stable of receivers who could be running around free all night if the WB pass defense doesn't make some adjustments from when I saw them earlier in the season. And those receivers don't drop balls that often, and the QB doesn't miss them that often. That will translate to points. What will the Govs do to stop it?

I look for the Rebels to use the 2-back set with everyone tight up close as they did against Alcoa. A 3 yard gain is great but a miss-step by the Wm Blount D-back will be deadly if a pass goes up.

btw, Wm Blount does an excellent job throwing across the middle.

Buffet works well as does old eagles just don't listen to sports talk radio thats enough to make you wreck yourself /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

As much as I love it, I quit listening to it regularly a long time ago. There's only so many times you can hear the same questions asked.

The 1600 number could have been an estmate for within the next couple of years, thus confirming the need for expansion. Makes sense if the 1421 number is currently posted is accurate since both numbers have come from the school system. Agree? Here is one thing that never gets brought up. Regarding any numbers advantage Maryville may have real or imagined; not all of those students are male and certainly not all football players. Believe it or not there is more going on at MHS than football. We have one of the best music programs in the state and the overall academic program is rated pretty highly as well. Maryvile dodging the big boys is your opinion, and that of others looking for reasons other than good coaching and player development to explain the recent run of success. When we went from 1978 to 1998 without a State Title no one said a word. If we are unfairly playing in a lower classification with a huge numbers advantage why is it our offensive line is normally outweighed by a minimum of 50 pounds per man with each team we face? How come we are starting a running back that weighs 150 pounds soaking wet? Doesn't make our coaches look very smart if we are stocking an endless supply of players as you seem to suggest. People recognize Quarles as an outstanding coach and rightfully so. But he would be the first to tell you, and he has said it as recently as last year when Brentwood Academy offered him the job, if he leaves he cannot take his assistants with him. Callilng 5A the "big boys" as compared to 4A is laughable. The difference between many 4A and 5A schools is likely only a few hundred kids and as mentioned many of those could be non footballers or even females. Quarles tells his team often "you don't have to be the best team in the State every week, just better than the one you are playiing Friday Night". And the coaching staff does an outstanding job of doing just that. Your ramblings are basically sour grapes, and as old as "Nixon Jokes". And it takes away from the big game at hand which is not fair to Maryville or WB either one. But I don't have to tell you that. That is exactly why you get on the Maryville game thread every week and bring it up.

Great post mhs. Our good buddy STARSNBARS says it best. Maryville has planted too many L's on those other teams rear ends so many times through the years. It has made a lot of rival teams fans bitter.

Funny thing is mhs is when Maryville moved up to 3A in 1987 everyone accused Maryville of dodging Austin East. Austin East ruled the roost in 2A back in those days along with Brentwood Academy.

I hear this tuition stuff all the time. Tuition students didn't help Maryville at all when the went 5-5 in 1989,1990,1993 and 1996. From 1987-1996 Maryville just won 1 playoff game. That was in 1995. Tuition students didn't help then.

I hear this recruiting stuff all the time. If Maryville recruited where are the big linemen? Maryville will start 2 tackles that weigh 180lbs. mhs brought it up. One of the starting tailbacks weighs 150lbs.

Maryville has good players but 99.9% of the reason Maryville is winning big right now is George Quarles and that coaching staff.

Maryville has good players but 99.9% of the reason Maryville is winning big right now is George Quarles and that coaching staff.

This non-bitter rival's take on the difference b/w Maryville's program and the others doesn't hinge directly on the X's and O's so much, but is nonetheless a critical component of coaching which, unfortunately, has not been given its due by my beloved Red Devils or any of the other public schools in Knox County that I'm aware of. What is that component, you ask? A rigorous and relentless focus on strength and conditioning. This is IMO the cornbread and buttermilk to which Stars so slyly alludes. If you happened to attend UT's strength and conditioning clinic this past winter you would have seen what I mean. Amongst the multitude of college level coaches from UT and elsewhere who spoke was one lone high school dedicated (meaning that's pretty much what he does and is in charge of) S&C coach. He even showed a video of what the players do. You guessed it; he coaches at Maryville. Interestingly, amongst the attendees was about half the coaching staff of Byrnes (SC) High School, as you know a veritable powerhouse in its own right. Didn't see ANY coaches from Region 3, 4A. George Quarles and his staff are obviously good, but as part of that they understand that in these days and times what can separate a team is a modern, scientific approach to S&C. It takes the average and makes them good. It takes the good and makes them awesome.

Fortunately, in the last couple of months it was announced that Knox County schools have received funding to hire S&C coaches. But just like all head coaches are not equal, neither are S&C coaches. So it remains to be determined the degree of impact this will have at a given program.

I've highjacked this thread enough today, so I won't speak unless spoken to. And yes, Stars, those Vianny sausages are plum good. And I sure wish I could see the MHS/WB game.

You have a point, but I have seen Maryville lose and I expect class will be shown like always. And I said win or lose, I did not say Maryville will lose. I have heard it all before, this is WB's year, 5A is tougher, The four horsy men, ect, ect, ect. There are people on here and will be at the game that live for the day Maryville go's down.

On another point I remember the last time WB won this contest. Maryville got flagged 5 or 6 times to make sure WB got enough opportunities to score. I'm not sure but I think there were 3 Pass Inference calls in the end zone alone. I don't blame GQ, or any coach for going after the officials in that fiasco. Most of us with football knowledge knew things were out hand by that crew. I remember two things from last year that relate to this. Coach Meadows said quite allot about the officiating in Ooltewah last year and him telling GQ at mid field he never wanted to play Maryville again. Those two things tell me GQ is not the only coach that gets upset and I DO NOT BLAME COACH MEADOWS for defending his team. It's what coaches do and should do, but with class.

What many of you WB types may not know is Coach Meadows has sought advice from GQ the past few years. I've seen Coach M at Maryville more than twice. Next thing you know the ole' Wang-T is dead and WB's spread looks allot like a Maryville spread. Hey I hope WB goes to the burro and plays the late game after the 4A game. Would be nice if Alcoa, Maryville and WB had a game in the burro around December 1st! 14-1 is a good season, just ask Alcoa, they got used too it! If it happens to Maryville this year, so be it, I??™ll be happy. 14-1 yes sir I??™ll take it! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yep, WB is pretty good this year but beating Maryville will be a task. The Rebels know WB is fast, big and talented. I guess most think WB should and will win. I think if Maryville does not turn the ball over and it comes down to the wire my money would be on Maryville. It's because I've seen bigger, more talented and faster on paper. When it comes down to the wire the best Coach in the State knows how to manage those situations and put his team in position to win. Does Coach M? Don??™t know, never seen it happen before.

Maryville 28

WB 17

In a slobber knocker!

FBEmetitus you are wrong about coach Meadows ever going over to Maryville to talk football I can promise you that, please tell me when it was, so i can call you out some more on that subject. WB offense is from Troy, and Southlake Carrol in Texas runs it also, not Maryville, but that was a good try to make Meadows look bad, keep trying and making youself look stupid.

Lets just hope that what i have heard from some of the Maryville players isnt true about cheap shots during the game at some of the key WB players

I thought I would share a piece of an article I stumbled across today. It's written by Wes Boling from Volunteer TV.

"I love Friday nights."

"I love sports, especially at their purest level. The players are paid only in pride, and athletic directors are more concerned with scheduling the school rival at an advantageous time than they are about selling t-shirts. There's still nothing like watching a scrawny, pad-burdened letter-jacket wearer push aside a stubby, stocky linebacker whose dad and grandpa played on the same field, still as spotty as ever because the timeless janitor is too old to remember where he put the keys to his tractor -- but you can bet your mouthpiece he remembers the score from every battle against the team's crosstown foe. The lights are never fully functional. The scoreboard is missing a bulb or two. The cheerleaders haven't quite perfected their basket tosses, but the hormonious boys in the front row don't seem to mind. The PA announcer's mic is a little too juiced, his accent a smidge too caustic. But this is football. It is torn jerseys with oversized sweatholes. It is sweat saturated with the salts of sacrifice and sentiment. It is an undersized offensive lineman compensating for his dwarfishness with adrenaline-inspired hatred for the boys wearing the other color. It is brushing hands with those very foes after the game, nobly kneeling alongside them for a postgame prayer regardless of the drubbing they gave you five minutes ago. It is anything but a business. And yet there is no more reliable economy than the treasure of untainted enjoyment filling the hearts of young men as they lay substandard blocks and drop wobbly spirals. Such passion is enough to put the local ministers in serious jeopardy. It is enough to resurrect the sleepiest towns. It is enough to last a lifetime if accompanied by innocence."

"And that's why Friday nights will always be special."

Someone correct me if im wrong. Now Maryville has been unbeaten for how many games? Is this the Friday that it happens.. don't get me wrong MV im a fan of your team. What can you say but good things about them. BUT.. is this one cause i since something here am i wrong?

Someone please but up a stream for this game so i can record it. I will be so looking forward to hearing it after we get back from our game. PLEASE.

I'd take your wager except i'm neutral this week. I played for coach White at WB and the kids go to Maryville. So I'll shave my head if Maryville wins or if WB wins. I just hope it is a classic game and the winner wins by 1pt and the other team is driving at the end. I thought about wearing my WB jersey and my Rebels hat, but I'll just go with a Tennessee hat this week, just like last year.

Some of us have perfect heads....The others have to grow hair on theirs....... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Some of us have perfect heads....The others have to grow hair on theirs....... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

so does that mean that mine is quickly becoming perfect? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />