District 11-AA Review/Preview

weaglefan

Harpeth beat Dickson last night 57-46. The Indians started off hot making their first 7 treys and leading after the first quarter 26-5. A lot of that was due to Primm having not hitting a shot from the field until the 3rd quarter when he got hot and scored 10 of his 16 points.

Tyler Carruthers with 13, Steven Dixon with 10 and Patrick Clark with 10 led the way for Harpeth. Harpeth is 4-2 with wins against Cascade, Kenwood, Lexington and Dickson. Losses were to CPA and McNairy Central. District starts this Friday.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sycamore seems to be rolling right now at 5-1. Beating two Metro/Nashville teams looks good at this point in the season. They open district play Friday night against arch rival Cheatham Co.

Harpeth is very good again too. I was caught by suprise to see that they fell to McNairy Central. Bingham's little brother must be a good player I'm guessing. The loss to CPA is very understandable. Wins over Kenwood & Dickson Co. look good thus far on the year. The Indians are still 4-2 and a favorite to win the district.

Creek Wood is struggling in the early stages at 2-3 overall. The win over Hickman Co. was much needed and next up they play a Harpeth team that traditionally they've had good success against.

Montgomery Central is also 2-3 but they are exceeding most "experts" expectations thus far. They've dropped a couple to Northwest & Northeast and their next game is against Clarksville High but I look for them to challenge to make the region this year.

Waverly Central is 2-2 overall and doing nicely here in the early going. The win over Camden was needed for confidence as the season progresses. The week is tough here in the end with games against Henry Co. & Dickson Co. I'm interested to see how the Tigers fare against those "larger" schools.

Cheatham Co. is young and off to a sluggish start in the early going at 0-5. They were competitive last night in the loss to Hume Fogg and are looking to build on that as the future schedule includes district rivals Sycamore & Harpeth.

Fairview beat Santa Fe in the end prior to Thanksgiving break. They needed that win coming off of early season beatings at the hands of Independence, CPA, & Nashville Christian. The Yellow Jackets are 1-3. They open district play on Friday against Stewart Co.

Stewart Co. became the third 11-AA team to lose to Houston Co. just last night. The Irish have also beaten Waverly & Mont. Cent. following their loss to Sycamore. The Rebels are 0-2 after that loss (other loss was to Northwest) and they look to turn that around this Friday against Fairview.

IT LOOKS TO AGAIN BE A 2-TEAM RACE FOR THE DISTRICT CROWN AGAIN THIS SEASON BUT ALL OF THE REAL GAMES TO REALLY DETERMINE THINGS ARE ABOUT TO BEGIN!!!!

Coach Wilson pulled his starters for at least a quarter and a half in the McNairy Central game and put them back at the end of the third quarter with a 23 point deficit that they cut to 5 before losing by the final margin. Harpeth's quarter scores were 16, 5, 7 and 36. Trey Carruthers scored 23 of his 25 points in the 4th quarter.

I don't know. It seems to me, there was a lesson in there somewhere. The 4th quarter effort was certainly better than the 1st quarter one and it only cost a loss to a non-district opponent that might play dividends further down the road.

Z Mason is just a stud. He dropped in about 33 on Harpeth and CPA plays fundamentally sound basketball. They do not make many mistakes. It would shock me if they didn't make state.

Coach Wilson has always looked at these tournaments differently than most. I don't believe he submits scores to papers and I don't think he counts the wins or losses.

KS, sounds to me like he saw something similar to what he saw in the CPA game and decided it was the perfect opportunity to get his point across.

Looks to me from the Dickson score and what I've seen so far that he's really getting those role players ready as well.

Looking forward to the districts starting up!

Coach Wilson pulled his starters for at least a quarter and a half in the McNairy Central game and put them back at the end of the third quarter with a 23 point deficit that they cut to 5 before losing by the final margin. Harpeth's quarter scores were 16, 5, 7 and 36. Trey Carruthers scored 23 of his 25 points in the 4th quarter.

I don't know. It seems to me, there was a lesson in there somewhere. The 4th quarter effort was certainly better than the 1st quarter one and it only cost a loss to a non-district opponent that might play dividends further down the road.

Z Mason is just a stud. He dropped in about 33 on Harpeth and CPA plays fundamentally sound basketball. They do not make many mistakes. It would shock me if they didn't make state.

Knowing Jamie Wilson I would say that he was definately sending a message to his players /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That message probably also explains how Harpeth came out last night and put it to Dickson Co. in the early stages of the contest.

I am by no means expecting a state championship for sycamore or harpeth this year but i am very optomistic that one of the two could challenge bolivar and i think that one of the two will finally make an elite eight appearance! with the first of the two big games coming in a little over a week my anxiety is growing.

both sycamore and harpeth have great shooters in Ty Caruthers and Nicholson

both have an athlete in Giltner and Mitchell

both have very quick and smart point guards in Tr Caruthers and Guye

and both have big men, Dixon is huge but slow where as Dempsey is shorter but just as strong and much more athletic

this advantage in the paint for sycamore is what i am hoping will win them the game

Mitchell is the best defender in the district and can contain giltner

if we can stop trey and giltner we win, if guye and nicholson keep strokin three's all over the place thats what we need

in the end i look for a great two games

and hopefully and elite eight appearance by one of the two because i would be cheering for either one of them /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

District 11-AA Standings & Results (MEN)

SYCAMORE WAR EAGLES: 5-1 (0-0): beat White House (76-41); beat Houston County (67-32); lost to McGavock (62-82); beat Hunters Lane (70-66); beat Stratford (68-67); beat Greenbrier (70-36)

HARPETH INDIANS: 4-2 (0-0): beat Cascade (65-21); beat Kenwood (73-58); lost to CPA (53-70); beat Lexington (80-53); lost to McNairy Central (64-76); beat Dickson County (57-46)

WAVERLY TIGERS: 2-2 (0-0): lost to Hickman County (56-61); beat Perry County (67-56); lost to Houston County (48-61); beat Camden (68-62)

CREEK WOOD RED HAWKS: 2-3 (0-0): beat East Hickman (63-48); lost to Rossview (52-58); lost to Northwest (44-57); lost to Pope John Paul II (38-39); beat Hickman County (65-62)

MONTGOMERY CENTRAL INDIANS: 2-3 (0-0): beat Jo Byrns (70-49); beat; Hickman County (60-53); lost to Houston County (53-60); lost to Northwest (58-77); lost to Northeast (28-63)

FAIRVIEW YELLOW JACKETS: 1-3 (0-0): lost to Independence (30-56); lost to CPA (30-70); lost to Nashville Christian (47-63); beat Santa Fe (46-45)

STEWART COUNTY REBELS: 0-2 (0-0): lost to Northwest (48-68); lost to Houston County (39-48)

CHEATHAM COUNTY CUBS: 0-5 (0-0): lost to Goodpasture (58-62); lost to FRA (70-73); lost to Rossview (33-76); lost to Hendersonville (48-76); lost to Hume Fogg (56-65)

The Rest of the Week

Sycamore plays at Cheatham Co. tomorrow night in a key early season game for both teams. The War Eagles are 5-1 and looking like the favorites to win the district thus far. They have blasted White House, Greenbrier, and a Houston Co. team that has owned every other 11AA foe that they've played outside of the War Eagles. The two wins last week over both Hunters Lane & Stratford look very good on the early season resume. Cheatham Co. is winless on the young season at 0-5. The Cubs youth has shown but they have continued to fight. The big losses came to AAA schools Rossview & Hendersonville. The Cubs other three losses came to Goodpasture, FRA, & Hume Fogg by a combined total of 16-POINTS. That is something that experience and hard work can help as the season progresses. I look for this to be a good competitive battle of two county rivals. Sycamore can't afford to overlook the Cubs and look ahead to next week's big game against Harpeth. Cheatham Co. has everything to gain and nothing to lose as a decided underdog going into the first meeting between these two this season.

Creek Wood plays at Harpeth tomorrow night in a game of district title competitors. These two played three times last year with the final meeting coming in the District Semifinals at CCCHS. Both teams were eventually ousted in the Regionals last year by the same Bolivar Central bunch. Creek Wood has a lot of experience returning and they've had a considerable amount of success against Harpeth in recent years. Ross Primm, Ethan Williams, Brandon Williams, Michael Jeppsen, & Johnny Palmore all have a lot of experience. For Harpeth the same goes for them as it goes for Sycamore. The Indians can't afford to overlook the Red Hawks and glance into the future and that big matchup looming large in one week. Tyler & Trey Curruthers, Kevin Giltner, Cody Freeman, & Co. have all got to come ready to defend their home at "The Reservation" tomorrow night. Harpeth is 4-2 on the young season while Creek Wood is sitting at 2-3.

Fairview at Stewart Co. tomorrow night may feature the biggest game in terms of "seeding" in the district goes for future references. The Yellow Jackets come in fresh off of a much needed win last week when they beat Santa Fe at the horn. The Rebels are playing at their house and though they are winless we all know that SC is tough to beat at home. This game will give one of these two teams an early leg up on the possibility of hosting a first round district tourney game. That's a long way off but it's never too early to start planning ahead. Fairview MUST WIN a game like this if they truly want to be considered a threat for the regions this year.

Montgomery Central is out of the district and in action tomorrow night against Clarksville. The Indians have lost their last two games by considerable margains to Northwest & Northeast. The game at home against Clarksville gives them another chance to prepare for future district games by playing against larger and more athletic AAA schools.

Waverly Central has two games to close out the week. Tonight the Tigers play at Henry Co. in Paris. Tomorrow night the Tigers travel to Dickson Co. to play the Cougars. Both schools are larger Class AAA schools. Waverly is off to a good start on the young season at 2-2. The win over Camden earlier this week was nice for the confidence of the Tigers. I am anxious to see if they can play competitve in these two games against "better competition".

Got the bracket today for the Williamson County Invitational tournament that Harpeth is playing in Dec. 27-29th.

Harpeth plays Clarksville NE in the first game at 11:30 A.M.

Hixson plays Buckhorn (AL) in the 2:30 game.

Livingston Academy plays Creekside (GA) in the 5:30 game

Ravenwood plays Warren County in the 8:30 game.

First round at Franklin High. Friday and Saturday games at Ravenwood.

Got the bracket today for the Williamson County Invitational tournament that Harpeth is playing in Dec. 27-29th.

Harpeth plays Clarksville NE in the first game at 11:30 A.M.

Hixson plays Buckhorn (AL) in the 2:30 game.

Livingston Academy plays Creekside (GA) in the 5:30 game

Ravenwood plays Warren County in the 8:30 game.

First round at Franklin High. Friday and Saturday games at Ravenwood.

Northeast beat Montgomery Central 63-28. That will be a good test for Harpeth.

Well SC lost a nailbitter by 3. They were down by 2 and on an inbounds play had a layup that was missed that couldve been a foul although it wasn't called. SC had another chance with 8.6 secs inbounding down 3 and missed a 3. SC played pretty bad all game with a lot of TOs in the first half at least 15. Neither of these teams wanted the game. At one point Fairview was up 15 with 6 minutes in the 3rd.