District 11-AA Review/Preview

weaglefan

He's not real big, Ii would guess 6 ft. He not only shoots the three well, he will take the ball to the hole, and if you foul him, he's about a 76-77% free throw shooter. People have had trouble guarding him since he handles the ball well. He's had some off games, but that comes with being only a sophomore. The last time I figured the averages for the team, he was averaging I think about 17 a game. He's had two or three nights of 24+. If he gets hot, it's really tough to stop him. He's not the only one on this team though. He's the top one but there are several more really good kids on this team. Juniors Cody Gilbert and Ben Leonard. Sophomores Vogel, Jeff Jackson, Tyler Fuller are all starters. Dillon Moore provides depth off the bench and he is a sophomore. Now the achilles heel is they are young and not very tall. Biggest guy may stretch to 6'2". That's a stretch too. But they play really hard.

Waverly has a good team, im not goina say great right now because their not all that great mainly because of size. yea they played great against dickson and really pulled a shocker on me keepin it as close as they did but again if they had some size down low it coulda made a difference. i didnt get to make the past two games but i heard they played exceptional still except for the last part of the fairview game. this group is about as young as they come and probably as small but they have some basketball skills, they can light up the ring on a good night but that will only last so many games, without size down inside they will not be able to pick the rebounds off these shots or get inside shots easily. but great job so far tigers lets keep it up, big rival game tomorrow night over in dover, lets see if we can get some of the blue crew to make the travel and tame the rowdy rebels!!! GO TIGERS!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Waverly-Fairview game and agree that Waverly played well, but don't knock Fairview. They turned up some defensive pressure and made a run to win although they missed a ton of free throws they could have put the game out of reach. It did appear that Waverly is extremely young, but so is Fairview. They start two juniors and three sophomores. They only have one senior on the team, and they usually bring him off the bench and use two other sophomores as well. This youth movement was apparent when they played Sycamore as they made several youth mistakes and Sycamore is flat out better then them. Having seen about half the teams this year early in the district, it is obvious that Harpeth and Sycamore are much better then every one else. I haven't seen Creek Wood or Montgomery Central play, but I would say Creek Wood will battle Fairview for third and fourth. I would say that Waverly is fifth, Montogomery Central sixth and it is a toss up between Cheatham and Stewart Counties or seventh and eighth.

Since we all are conceding 1st and 2nd to Harpeth and Sycamore,(and not necessarily in that order) today and next week could be huge in the rest of the seeding. I know it is only December, but:

Friday: Waverly @ Stewart County, Montgomery Central @ Cheatham

Monday: Stewart County @ Fairview

Tuesday: Fairview @ Cheatham

Friday: Montgomery Central @ Fairview, Creek Wood @ Waverly

I can see Fairview sweeping all of the games above with maybe the one hiccup at Cheatham possibly. If the sweep happens, Fairview would have a 5-1 distrcit record and a sweep of Stewart, and at least a season spilt with MC and Cheatham and Waverly. This would be good for them come tourney time as they would not loss any tie breakers in head to head with the teams battling for position.

I like Creek Wood to beat Waverly in a close one, but can see Waverly winning since the game is in Waverly. I see Waverly beating Stewart County today.

I also see Montgomery Central beating Cheatham with Green having a big night.

Central lost another heartbreaker tonite to Cheatham Co 59-56 i believe. this is the third game in this long 6 game losing streak that Central was in the thick of the game, playing well, and then not pull the victory. We play hard for the whole game and then for a 3 or 4 minutes stretch we fall behind. The Houston Co., Waverly, and Cheatham games were all played against teams that we r just as good as if not better, we just have a lapse and that costs us the game. (that all isnt taken away from them teams they all r good teams). The thing that hurts the most about all this is we started 2-0 and got high expectations and now it has all gone down hill. These guys r tough tho, we will get it turned around. We just have to keep working our butts off at practice to turn this season around!

What a wild one in Dover. Coach Craig rallied his team from a 6 point deficit to win by 10 in OT. Assisted by Bramlett and Head SC played with heart and desire tonight. Boone Smith had 27 with 6 three pointers scoring 13 in the 4th. SC was down 3 with about 20 seconds and Dylan Smith shot a three missed Off. Reb. by Boone Smith missed it and the balls rolling around big Jacob Taylor as he picks it up and nails a 3 with 2 seconds left as time expired. SC then outscored Waverly 15-5 in OT. The statician told me Jacob Taylor had 18 pts 13 reb. and 6 blocks with a ton of altered shots. Congrats SC you earned it. Waverly keep your heads up you played hard and neither team deserved to lose.

Sloppy game from Sycamore, sloppier game from harpeth. This was my second game this year, and I was very dissapointed. Sycamore took advantage of everything that came there way. Harpeth was in stand still mode, and whenever somebody got the ball they would stand there for a minute then throw a sloppy pass inside or across the court. Harpeth did not have anybody score over 10 points. Harpeth was not ready and it showed. I dont know what is wrong with the offense, but it needs to be figured out before the next big district game. Congratulations to Sycamore, I was expecting a little more from the student section. Pierre had a good game and as of right now until Harpeth goes to Sycamore he is the MVP of the district. I think that game will give you the district champ and the district MVP.

There were no bright points for Harpeth in this game, all I can say is get your act together before districts or it will not be fun for yall sitting at home during regions.

a big stat for Harpeth, IMO, is this: Kevin Giltner is 16% from 3- point land on the year. (according to my very reliable sources) Not only is Kevin needed on the floor for his basketball knowledge, but also he needs to produce some numbers in order for the Harpeth team everyone expects to see play live up to their hype. Right now Harpeth needs to put this game behind them and focus on the next opponent in G'pasture. The season would flop for Harpeth if they keep Sycamore in their minds. These two teams don't match-up again until the last game of the season...and besides, once it comes down to it, how much does the regular season mean for teams like Harpeth and Sycamore other than bragging rights?

i was at the sycamore/harpeth game tonight and yeah it was sloppy but sycamore made more plays because their players understand their roles. harpeth has 2 very good players in guiltner and caruthers but the role players think they are studs or something. until coach wilson gets them to play their roles they will keep being sloppy. sycamore played a pretty good game, pierre did a good job on guiltner. chase kilgore came up huge for sycamore tonight, he is gonna be a big part of sycamores success. the only thing i see hurting sycamore is the presence of a big man or the lack there of. should be a pretty good season in 11 aa.

What a wild one in Dover. Coach Craig rallied his team from a 6 point deficit to win by 10 in OT. Assisted by Bramlett and Head SC played with heart and desire tonight. Boone Smith had 27 with 6 three pointers scoring 13 in the 4th. SC was down 3 with about 20 seconds and Dylan Smith shot a three missed Off. Reb. by Boone Smith missed it and the balls rolling around big Jacob Taylor as he picks it up and nails a 3 with 2 seconds left as time expired. SC then outscored Waverly 15-5 in OT. The statician told me Jacob Taylor had 18 pts 13 reb. and 6 blocks with a ton of altered shots. Congrats SC you earned it. Waverly keep your heads up you played hard and neither team deserved to lose.

I do agree.. It was avery well played ball game tonight. But there is one thing.. Waverly showed some bad sportsman ship at times tonight.. I mean.. come on.. they got two Technical Fouls called on them tonight, one on the coach and the other on a player. And then when one boy got fouled out (41)and another one that was sitting on the bench turn around to SC fans as they cheer on their team and flip them off and cuss at them! That is just very rude and disrespectful. I know that the coach was told about this though, so maybe he will do something and the boys will learn their lesson! hopefully! Cause sports are not supposed to be about that!

well it sounds like it was a pretty good game to go see last night. hopefully Sc will build off of it. and it look like it was some pretty good stats. well good luck to u SC on the next game.

for waverly sportsmanship is always the key and so is composure. but good luck to yall to ur next game also.