Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

THUD!

That's the sound of the over-hyped Dogs tourney hopes hitting the floor in Kingsport. I would only fear reprisals of the "staches' legendary 8 hour practices if there were any games left to practice for.

I think when you win 31 games to only 3 losses, you have earned your HYPE...BTW....where was your Irish Squad this year when the substate games were played on Monday night....oh that's right, they were back in West Knoxville doing their homework....THANKS FOR PLAYING!!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Mitchell is a classic. Here are the grades for the coaches around:

Bearden: Blevins.Great preparer. Great knowledge of the game. Above average in-game coach. A-

Maryville: Eldridge. Cool. Excellent in-game coach. Not afraid to take chances. A

Farragut: Dodgen. Hilarious man. Great regular season coach. Average post season coach. B

Fulton: Wright. Has a lot of talent and makes the most of it. A

WB: Baumann. Limited talent. Intense coach. Great father figure for players. A-

AE: Mitchell. Always makes it to State. Needs to win it though. Good fit for players. B+

Oak Ridge: Norris. Best looking according to my wife. Solid. A-

Smartest Coach (retired)

Oliver Springs: Cupp. 1 year wonder 32-5 State tournament berth. Beat Eldridge 103-61.

Retired after one season and moved on to more difficult challenges like

Upward Basketball where he is proud of his 24-0 record in 2 seasons.

I am very sorry but I must drop the grade of Blevins. To lose the last 2 of the year with that team is going to drop him a half of a letter grade. B. I think sometimes he might over-prepare if you know what I mean. I might think he would be better on the college level.

I think when you win 31 games to only 3 losses, you have earned your HYPE...BTW....where was your Irish Squad this year when the substate games were played on Monday night....oh that's right, they were back in West Knoxville doing their homework....THANKS FOR PLAYING!!!

My point was that this Bearden team has been the most hyped basketball team in the Knoxville area for the last few years. Would you say they have underachieved? Substate appearances kind of pale in comparison to the rings everybody has been talking about. Since you're a former player what's your opinion of the trash talking and whining that are occurring now vs. when you played? Be honest!

And by the way the Irish have been to the state tourney 3 times in the past 6 years which I think means more appearances and substate victories than the Dogs....am I right? Our guys probably were doing their homework, what a concept.

I am a student at UT and am not extremely familiar with the Knoxville programs and was wondering who are some of the top coaches in the area? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

The Knoxville area has more than its share of good Coaches. In my opinion good coaches are able to do several things:

1. Must have talented players. But more importantly get the most out of the talent available to them. How often have we seen very talented teams fail where teams with less talent achieve.

2. Discipline their players. On and off the court. Keep them humble. Respect all opponents.

3. Great teacher of the game. Fundamentally sound.

4.. Energetic. Watch film, practice, teach class... A lot of late nights and early mornings.

5. Flexibility. Be willing to change system to meet the needs of your talent. Change with the times. Stay in tune with your players.

If a Coach has 2-5 he will be successful regardless of talent. Average teams with little talent and great teams with good talent. Fabulous teams with great talent.

My point was that this Bearden team has been the most hyped basketball team in the Knoxville area for the last few years. Would you say they have underachieved? Substate appearances kind of pale in comparison to the rings everybody has been talking about. Since you're a former player what's your opinion of the trash talking and whining that are occurring now vs. when you played? Be honest!

And by the way the Irish have been to the state tourney 3 times in the past 6 years which I think means more appearances and substate victories than the Dogs....am I right? Our guys probably were doing their homework, what a concept.

When I played the trash talking was probably just as bad....it's called competiveness....it's part of life. Granted back in my playing days, the talent level was quite as good as it is today, but that just means that the game would get a little more physcial when the refs weren't watching......let me know the next time that your Irish want to come across Kingston Pike and play the Dogs....I'm sure something can be arranged for that to happen... in the words of BIG BLACK..."DO WORK SON"!!!

When I played the trash talking was probably just as bad....it's called competiveness....it's part of life. Granted back in my playing days, the talent level was quite as good as it is today, but that just means that the game would get a little more physcial when the refs weren't watching......let me know the next time that your Irish want to come across Kingston Pike and play the Dogs....I'm sure something can be arranged for that to happen... in the words of BIG BLACK..."DO WORK SON"!!!

Competitive or classless? Nothing wrong with physical as long as there are no "cheap" shots. You can certainly be competitive without all the trash talking, gesturing, etc. (See Chris Lofton, Tyler Smith, Dane Bradshaw for example). As Bear Bryant used to say "Act like you've been there before" No need for the antics, let your play speak for itself! Did you miss the question about underachieving?

Don't see us crossing the Pike, however we have beaten Farragut and Powell recently in the years that they've painted a big L in your win column! (for comparison purposes only) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Competitive or classless? Nothing wrong with physical as long as there are no "cheap" shots. You can certainly be competitive without all the trash talking, gesturing, etc. (See Chris Lofton, Tyler Smith, Dane Bradshaw for example). As Bear Bryant used to say "Act like you've been there before" No need for the antics, let your play speak for itself! Did you miss the question about underachieving?

Don't see us crossing the Pike, however we have beaten Farragut and Powell recently in the years that they've painted a big L in your win column! (for comparison purposes only) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

For comparison purposes only, Anderson County has put a many a losses in the Fighting Irish win column and last time AC played Bearden it wasn't pretty....and AC was and is clearly the best team in your district.

tell me the last time a Bearden player took a "cheap"shot against any player....yep... that is what i thought. The only player to come out of Catholic that was worth anything was Matt Parton....I have to admit, that kid could flat out play!!!! Harrison Smith...also impressed by his athletisim...case in point he continued his career with another Fighting Irish. So please as the the great Lee Corson says. "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND"!!!! BTW....I don't think that I missed the question about underachieving....TANK YOU, COME AGAIN!!!!

Eldridge: Great demeanor ... one of the largest "bench staffs" of all time ... I looked over during one tournament game and there was almost as many coaches as players on the bench.

Gov-Man, eye haiv two uhgree with you about tha 'banch staffs.' Big Dave taiks up a lot of room.

Anuther thang that taiks up room is Jud's Broadcastin' Breefcase. Eye know Jud and krew use offishull striped shirts, unlike sum of our othur Blunt Countee Brethurn, butt hit dont haiv two bee that big. Eye saw Jud leavin' with that thang and eye could haiv put everythang eye own in hit.... and enuff room left over two store Rebelron and Rebelsman with a year's supply of Lost Ameegoes gwakeemolee..... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

For comparison purposes only, Anderson County has put a many a losses in the Fighting Irish win column and last time AC played Bearden it wasn't pretty....and AC was and is clearly the best team in your district.

tell me the last time a Bearden player took a "cheap"shot against any player....yep... that is what i thought. The only player to come out of Catholic that was worth anything was Matt Parton....I have to admit, that kid could flat out play!!!! Harrison Smith...also impressed by his athletisim...case in point he continued his career with another Fighting Irish. So please as the the great Lee Corson says. "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND"!!!! BTW....I don't think that I missed the question about underachieving....TANK YOU, COME AGAIN!!!!

The last time Anderson County played Bearden was last year at the sweet sixteen tourney at Bearden. Bearden by four points in a very competitive game. Loudon won their district that year.

As for Catholic, they have been one of the better programs in the area. They went to 3 straight state tourmanents (two in Division II and competing with teams like McCallie, Briarcrest, Brentwwod Academy), and frankly, have had several players in that time as good as or better than many in the area (Parton, Connor, Fox, and others).

Face it, Bearden grossly underachieved in the tournament this year, and from what I observed, discipline was lacking on the team, and there appears to be a different standard on the team depending on whether or not you are a "star" or a role player.