big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Friday nights game. Trust me, Crockett's big man got pushed way more than he pushed back. The first "T" was a real piece of acting. He turned around and the East player threw himself to the floor like he was hit by Mike Tyson. We have all seen East play. They flop anytime someone takes it to the basket. They lead the league in charges taken with no contact. The second "T" was no excuse. He deserved it and now he will be a spectator for two games.

Why do we have to blame coaches for everything? Why dont we hold the players accountable? We blame refs, coaches, and fans but we never make the student athletes accountable. Give the coaches some credit. Do you honestly think a coach is telling his kids to fight or play dirty. I know the staff at both Crockett and Volunteer and I can promise you they dont teach their players to behave this way.

Also, if the coaches are so bad bad; go back to school, get certified to teach, and apply for these jobs. Then you can be under the microscope like these men are. It makes me sick to hear the constant criticism. Every head coach in any league puts their heart and soul into their job for their players. They spend their own money when their players have a need, they counsel them when they have no one else to turn to, they give them rides home, spend more time with their players than their own families, and countless other behind the scene things that 99.9% of the fans have no clue about. And what do they do it for? Criticizm. Slanderous comments. Personal attacks. However, they overlook all of this because they feel they have a calling to help these young men. I know all of this goes with the job and sometimes they go overboard and deserve some of what they get. I just think we need to step back and let them do their job and let the kids play for their coach. It is hard for a kid to have 5 or 6 coaches, with all but one in the stands.

If you know Crockett and Volunteer well, then you must be a coach. My problem as an outsider is I don't think the coach at Crockett knows enough basketball to help his kids. I know Whittemore is teaching this stuff and I heard the Crockett yell at Zach to push them around more. Get more physical. Do whatever it takes, become a man. He did it the other night and now he will sit a couple. I just think the stuff at Crockett is players who are frustrated because the coach can't coach. They have the ability. Any other coach in the conference would win with Zach. He should be the dominant player but he is not getting coached. Getting called out is part of the job. If you want the benefits of winning and your name in lights, you got to take the name in the mud when you lose.

I just hope that the Crockett boys can clean up their act.

If you know Crockett and Volunteer well, then you must be a coach. My problem as an outsider is I don't think the coach at Crockett knows enough basketball to help his kids. I know Whittemore is teaching this stuff and I heard the Crockett yell at Zach to push them around more. Get more physical. Do whatever it takes, become a man. He did it the other night and now he will sit a couple. I just think the stuff at Crockett is players who are frustrated because the coach can't coach. They have the ability. Any other coach in the conference would win with Zach. He should be the dominant player but he is not getting coached. Getting called out is part of the job. If you want the benefits of winning and your name in lights, you got to take the name in the mud when you lose.

I just hope that the Crockett boys can clean up their act.

There is not a coach in the world that doesn't tell their players to get more physical. It is a physical game. Post players push and battle for position the whole game. How is telling them to be more physical a problem? When I played we touched a sign leading out of the locker room that said "Whatever It Takes." Now does that mean we were to punch other players and play dirty. No, it meant play as hard as you can and do everything within the rules to the best of your ability. My whole gripe is we dont hold the players accountable. The coach didn't push anyone or start a bench clearing brawl. Remember we are dealing with emotional teenage boys that get caught up in the moment. They are fully aware that this type of play is wrong. Make them responsible. Remember when you were a teenager. We all did foolish things that we shouldn't have done. If we did the crime we had to do the time.

You dont become a coach to get your name in lights. You do it because you want to teach the game. If you want fame and fortune the last place you would be is coaching high school basketball. I'm sorry you have a problem with the coach at Crockett. Maybe next year you can get Bob Knight to replace him. I hear he is looking to coach again.

There is not a coach in the world that doesn't tell their players to get more physical. It is a physical game. Post players push and battle for position the whole game. How is telling them to be more physical a problem? When I played we touched a sign leading out of the locker room that said "Whatever It Takes." Now does that mean we were to punch other players and play dirty. No, it meant play as hard as you can and do everything within the rules to the best of your ability. My whole gripe is we dont hold the players accountable. The coach didn't push anyone or start a bench clearing brawl. Remember we are dealing with emotional teenage boys that get caught up in the moment. They are fully aware that this type of play is wrong. Make them responsible. Remember when you were a teenager. We all did foolish things that we shouldn't have done. If we did the crime we had to do the time.

You dont become a coach to get your name in lights. You do it because you want to teach the game. If you want fame and fortune the last place you would be is coaching high school basketball. I'm sorry you have a problem with the coach at Crockett. Maybe next year you can get Bob Knight to replace him. I hear he is looking to coach again.

You say ?€œGive the coaches some credit?€??€¦and what would that be for when you have half your team ejected from a basketball game for fighting?! You say ?€œRemember we are dealing with emotional teenage boys?€??€¦I agree. And in that same breath I will remind you that these teenage boys are heavily influenced by these coaches; what they teach them and what they don?€™t teach them?€¦even outside the realms of bball. Let me ask you a question?€¦while you were witnessing Crockett?€™s big man getting pushed around all night, did you once see the East coach correct his player for the (what I?€™m assuming) overly aggressive, illegal, or unnecessary pushing? Do you think maybe he didn?€™t see it?€¦maybe he didn?€™t see it as illegal? Or maybe he knew his player was outmatched and he needed to cheat in order to?€¦well?€¦WIN the battle. IMO it?€™s LESS about what these coaches in question are telling their players to do, and MORE about what they are failing to teaching them not to do. Is it because they won?€™t or can?€™t take the time to teach proper technique?€¦or maybe they just don?€™t think the player is capable. I also think that if they were truly concerned as much as you say?€¦they would be willing to sacrifice one for many (as the old saying goes). It usually only takes one time for a REAL coach to take a hard disciplinary stand on a situation such as this for him to get his point across. But these two Clowns that we speak of insist on sweeping this under the rug as if it isn?€™t a real problem for their program. To here some of the parents on here respond with the ?€œI couldn?€™t discipline my child for doing what he did (meaning getting in a fight on a basketball court over physical play)?€? is a lot of the problem because obviously the coaches feel the same way. Let me give you an example of a REAL coach (like him or not). Coach Cutlip from SHHS had one of the premier players in this region on his team and with another ALL STAR also in his arsenal (both are strong candidates for the Big 9 MVP this year) he was poised for a major run in the State Tournament this year. This player (without getting into specifics) didn?€™t want to go along with the program and lets say he "allegedly" went against several team rules and challenged the coaches authority. Coach Cutlip could have just ignored these incidents (swept them under the rug, let them go, etc?€¦) like most other coaches would have in order to keep his State Tournament or Conference championship alive?€¦the ?€œWIN by any means necessary mentality?€?. But he was smart enough to know that if he didn?€™t take a stand right now regardless of how costly to his team it would be?€¦this type of behavior would haunt him and his program from here on. SO HE HAD THE KID REMOVED FROM THE TEAM before the season even started knowing it would greatly affect his team?€¦and realizing that an ally could and would soon become an opponent. This move has GREATLY improved his level of respect with his players and anyone affiliated with his program. He won?€™t have to go to that extent ever again to get his point across, because after that you have to believe that Coach Cutlip means it when he says it?€¦if he would cut this player then he wouldn?€™t hesitate to clean out anybody else?€™s locker for breaking his rules or overstepping the boundaries (and I consider FIGHTING on the court for any reason crossing the line). It?€™s obvious that winning is paramount to some of these coaches?€¦so don?€™t give me this same ol?€™ song and dance about how much they care, or how much of their own time they spend, or how they would do anything for the players?€¦when they obviously are putting themselves and winning the next game ahead of the discipline of these players, teenagers, future young men and posible coache (for an act that can only be seen as WRONG by any reasonable person that has been positively affiliated with team sports) when they need it regardless of the effect!!! It's called PRINCIPLE...for those of you that still fail to see what I'm talking about!!

All Big 9 Conference games scheduled for tonight (2/3) have been postponed.

Make Up Dates

Science Hill @ Tennessee High

Wednesday, February 4

Dobyns Bennett @ Sullivan East

Wednesday, February 4

Volunteer @ Sullivan South

Thursday, February 5

Sullivan Central @ David Crockett

Thursday, February 5

Also, the Area 1 Large Division Tournament @ John Sevier and the Area 1 Small Division Tournament @ Sullivan have been postponed as well.

You say ???Give the coaches some credit?????¦and what would that be for when you have half your team ejected from a basketball game for fighting?! You say ???Remember we are dealing with emotional teenage boys?????¦I agree. And in that same breath I will remind you that these teenage boys are heavily influenced by these coaches; what they teach them and what they don??™t teach them??¦even outside the realms of bball. Let me ask you a question??¦while you were witnessing Crockett??™s big man getting pushed around all night, did you once see the East coach correct his player for the (what I??™m assuming) overly aggressive, illegal, or unnecessary pushing? Do you think maybe he didn??™t see it??¦maybe he didn??™t see it as illegal? Or maybe he knew his player was outmatched and he needed to cheat in order to??¦well??¦WIN the battle. IMO it??™s LESS about what these coaches in question are telling their players to do, and MORE about what they are failing to teaching them not to do. Is it because they won??™t or can??™t take the time to teach proper technique??¦or maybe they just don??™t think the player is capable. I also think that if they were truly concerned as much as you say??¦they would be willing to sacrifice one for many (as the old saying goes). It usually only takes one time for a REAL coach to take a hard disciplinary stand on a situation such as this for him to get his point across. But these two Clowns that we speak of insist on sweeping this under the rug as if it isn??™t a real problem for their program. To here some of the parents on here respond with the ???I couldn??™t discipline my child for doing what he did (meaning getting in a fight on a basketball court over physical play)??? is a lot of the problem because obviously the coaches feel the same way. Let me give you an example of a REAL coach (like him or not). Coach Cutlip from SHHS had one of the premier players in this region on his team and with another ALL STAR also in his arsenal (both are strong candidates for the Big 9 MVP this year) he was poised for a major run in the State Tournament this year. This player (without getting into specifics) didn??™t want to go along with the program and lets say he "allegedly" went against several team rules and challenged the coaches authority. Coach Cutlip could have just ignored these incidents (swept them under the rug, let them go, etc??¦) like most other coaches would have in order to keep his State Tournament or Conference championship alive??¦the ???WIN by any means necessary mentality???. But he was smart enough to know that if he didn??™t take a stand right now regardless of how costly to his team it would be??¦this type of behavior would haunt him and his program from here on. SO HE HAD THE KID REMOVED FROM THE TEAM before the season even started knowing it would greatly affect his team??¦and realizing that an ally could and would soon become an opponent. This move has GREATLY improved his level of respect with his players and anyone affiliated with his program. He won??™t have to go to that extent ever again to get his point across, because after that you have to believe that Coach Cutlip means it when he says it??¦if he would cut this player then he wouldn??™t hesitate to clean out anybody else??™s looker for breaking his rules or overstepping the boundaries (and I consider FIGHTING on the court for any reason crossing the line). It??™s obvious that winning is paramount to some of these coaches??¦so don??™t give me this same ol??™ song and dance about how much they care, or how much of their own time they spend, or how they would do anything for the players??¦when they obviously are putting themselves and winning the next game ahead of the discipline of these players, teenagers, future young men and posible coache (for an act that can only be seen as WRONG by any reasonable person that has been positively affiliated with team sports) when they need it regardless of the effect!!! It's called PRINCIPLE...for those of you that still fail to see what I'm talking about!!

I dont disagree with a word you said. True, coaches do have a heavy influence over their players behavior, but I believe their parents have more of an influence. A lot of parents teach their children to stand up for themselves and not get pushed around. I hear it all the time from parents, "..if that would have happened when I played we would have taken care of him." What message does that send? How does a coach combat this? In reference to the "give the coaches some credit" statement, I was wanting to give them the benefit of the the doubt. I still believe we give coaches too much praise and blame. I was defending the Crockett coach because I know what he has done for those players. None of which were done to get wins. It was to hopefully develop character and integrity with his players. Those players are great students and wonderful people. No one involved with that program condones what has happened. Fans and coachT posters may want to win at all cost but our Big 9 coaches strive to build quality programs. Not win at all cost programs. Just my thoughts.

I know Whittemore is teaching this stuff

This is not for anyone else but NET....... How do you know he teaches to play dirty? I AM a coach on the staff, and I will let you know it is NOT taught. What your opinion is is different from what you THINK you know. Whatever your opinion is..... I don't care, but when you say you KNOW, then I must step in. Believe what you want because it is only YOUR OPINION, not fact! There have been instances in the past that have garnered your OPINION to be what it is, BUT these are individual instances and if it were taught, you would have heard a lot more than just the two games against Crockett this year. DB & TN High fans were itching to give a report of dirty play and guess what? None happened. And people were watching closely....... So, in the future, report what you know and say what your opinion is. There's nothing more credit damaging than to give a false report of something you know nothing about. GOD Bless......