Maryville and Re-Classification

sportsfreak

As a middle Tennessee resident and a huge high school football fan, I have to say I noticed something really curious with the new enrollment figures released by the TSSAA. Did anyone see Maryville's new enrollment of 1,555 students? They go from supposedly being in Class 4A to leaping several longtime Class 5A schools in enrollment. Something smells funny. Maryville was the biggest 4A school in the state the last four to six years, and they always seemed to squeeze into Class 4A by less than 10 students. I also noticed they had an administrator on the TSSAA board. Were they able to work out a deal to stay in 4A as long as they could? If so, this is not right and should be investigated. Obviously, state titles in 4A are a whole lot easier to come by than in 5A, especially playing in the east Tennessee 4A ranks. How did they grow so fast in the last two years and have such an extreme change in enrollment? Or were they already technically a 5A school playing in 4A for the last several years and getting a huge advantage? I think this is a very interesting subject and I'm hoping to get several people's thoughts. One thing I want to make extremely clear: Maryville is an outstanding football program with great coaches and players, and a great tradition, so this is not to take away from that by any means. They would have done very well in 5A as well, but, in my opinion, I don't think they would have won near as many state championships. They are still one of the best programs in the state and they will do very well in the new 6A class that starts next year, but this is something that needs to at least be addressed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a middle Tennessee resident and a huge high school football fan, I have to say I noticed something really curious with the new enrollment figures released by the TSSAA. Did anyone see Maryville's new enrollment of 1,555 students? They go from supposedly being in Class 4A to leaping several longtime Class 5A schools in enrollment. Something smells funny. Maryville was the biggest 4A school in the state the last four to six years, and they always seemed to squeeze into Class 4A by less than 10 students. I also noticed they had an administrator on the TSSAA board. Were they able to work out a deal to stay in 4A as long as they could? If so, this is not right and should be investigated. Obviously, state titles in 4A are a whole lot easier to come by than in 5A, especially playing in the east Tennessee 4A ranks. How did they grow so fast in the last two years and have such an extreme change in enrollment? Or were they already technically a 5A school playing in 4A for the last several years and getting a huge advantage? I think this is a very interesting subject and I'm hoping to get several people's thoughts. One thing I want to make extremely clear: Maryville is an outstanding football program with great coaches and players, and a great tradition, so this is not to take away from that by any means. They would have done very well in 5A as well, but, in my opinion, I don't think they would have won near as many state championships. They are still one of the best programs in the state and they will do very well in the new 6A class that starts next year, but this is something that needs to at least be addressed.

Gee , It couldn't be anything to do with Maryville being one of the fastest growing cities in the state could it ? Huge fan , huh , then I guess that you've noticed that there Is no Public school under the microscope more than Maryville . I guess this is just wishful thinking for you , has Maryville beat your team once or twice ? Funny how the more a team wins , the more guys like you show up trying to make excuses , why their team got beat . Funny thing is , we have a stalker here on CoachT who obsessively hates Maryville , and here you are doing just like him grasping at straws to tarnish Maryville's image . You accomplished what you wanted there Mr. big high school fan , and that's to try and throw doubt on a team that follows rules to the tee , If you were any kind of fan at all , you would have respect for a team that wins the right way and wins with class .

why so down on east tn 4A football. going all the way back to '91 a team from maryville's region has played for a championship...

'91 - powell

'92 - clinton

'93 - cleveland (in region 3-4A at the time)

'94 - cleveland

'95 - cleveland

'96 - knox halls

'97 - maryville

'98 - maryville

'99 - knox central

'00 - maryville through the present

I understand what you're saying, but there's no way you can reasonably down 4A football in east tennessee.

why so down on east tn 4A football. going all the way back to '91 a team from maryville's region has played for a championship...

'91 - powell

'92 - clinton

'93 - cleveland (in region 3-4A at the time)

'94 - cleveland

'95 - cleveland

'96 - knox halls

'97 - maryville

'98 - maryville

'99 - knox central

'00 - maryville through the present

I understand what you're saying, but there's no way you can reasonably down 4A football in east tennessee.

And I understand what you're saying as well. However, you made my point for me. Their competition comes from their region only and that is it. And sometimes that is lacking like this year. Once they get to the semifinals, they are home free to the state championship game. Whereas, the Hillsboro and Maplewoods have to meet up with those athletic teams from Memphis in the semis each year. In addition, Class 5A football is much stronger from top to bottom than 4A in east Tennessee and that was my point. Could Maryville run that gauntlet year in and year out as easy as in 4A and win titles in 5A every year? That is the point. Therefore, there borderline enrollment figures were extremely crucial in the last several years.

How many students did Maryville have 4 years ago?

They supposedly had 1,350 last year, and two years ago when they bi-annually re-district football due to enrollment figures, Maryville was the biggest 4A school in the state. The smallest 5A school supposedly had four more students than Maryville had. Is that shady or is it just me? They gain 205 students in one year but somehow managed to stay in 4A the last four years with the huge population boom over there. Whatever the case, it worked and they were rewarded with a bunch of state titles.

They supposedly had 1,350 last year, and two years ago when they bi-annually re-district football due to enrollment figures, Maryville was the biggest 4A school in the state. The smallest 5A school supposedly had four more students than Maryville had. Is that shady or is it just me? They gain 205 students in one year but somehow managed to stay in 4A the last four years with the huge population boom over there. Whatever the case, it worked and they were rewarded with a bunch of state titles.

This has been talked about for a long time and now you have decided to crawl out from under a rock and try to throw cold water on a really good High School Football team that does it the right way. Look back about two weeks ago and you will find the same discussion by a group of people just like you.

There are a lot of schools that have a member on the Board Of Control and Maryville has a principle that is on the Board. Are you stupid enuff to believe that the Board would let Maryville have special treatment and not get any special treatment for thier own schools? My advice to you is to crawl back under your rock and let the season play it's self out. Next year you can start talking about Maryville in 6A and you can dream up a whole new discussion about how Maryville cheated to get there.

The base number of 1350 was 4 years ago and if you would look for the details before you try to tarnish the hard work of so many kids, you could have spent this day under your rock.

Rebel9

You obviously don't know how the former classification system worked. And since we now have a new system I'm not going to take my time to educate you on the old one. If you would just do a little research on old threads, this has all been covered before. The TSSAA website is terrible (With apologies to Earl Nall) and hardly ever updates their numbers (on the website).

Yeah! Red Bank,Rhea County,Cleveland,MOWest,TN High and Sullivan South are terrible. My memory may be slipping but didn't Red Bank win a 5A Title in 2000? I figure a team that used to be in BIG BAD 5A would dominate us little guys in little bitty ole 4a.

I just hope Maryville can win a title in their last year of 4A. Because! When they go to BIG BAD 6A and play the BIG BOYS they will go 0-10 every year.