Sullivan South @ Tennessee High

Mountain Lakes Championship Game  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Mountain Lakes Championship Game

I'll help you out a little. I've watched numerous South games and the TN High-North game so I've seen both teams even though TN High obviously wasn't at full strength. TN High will have to keep South honest. We saw what happened with North when South plays a team that can't throw the ball. They didnt' even make it to the 50 yard line. South needs Clint Phillips back this week, hope he is ok. Very very hard to run up the middle against South with two of the best linebackers in the conference. If TN High can't keep South honest with the pass, the corners move up and it's going to be tough sledding on the outside as well. If they can pass, Shepard should be able to get some big gains with his speed. I think the North game was the first game back for Tallman. He's a load to bring down. As for Tn High stopping South, I said after the North game that if TN High doesn't get better defending the pass then South will put 40 or more on them. there were wide open receivers all over the field that night. South has 3 receivers that all can catch the ball. Then you have Fletcher and Taylor in the backfield along with Davenport who all 3 can run the ball. It's pick your poison. Injuries will play a part of this both ways. I'm not sure if TN High still has anyone out due to injury and I don't know about the status of Hunter Beedle or Clint Phillips. Hopefully all will be healthy so nobody could pull the injury card after the game. Either way, I think this game is for homefield advantage in the quarterfinals of the playoffs if Jordan Greenway is kicked off of the team.

Pretty good assessment I suppose. BUT you only saw one THS game. There may have been some open receivers but I believe the Vikings strong point is putting unbelievable pressure on the quarterback. That really helps out your secondary when the quarterback doesn't have time to see the receivers and make the throws. Just ask Johnson County Austin Phipps and Sullivan Central Carl Roberts. They got several good looks at our defensive line UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL!! Also Sullivan North struggled with our D line. Both teams are talented and have great players. Our linebackers are also two of the best in the conference-one preseason all state and is a super player! It will come down to who puts the total package together. No blow out predictions coming from me for either side.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good assessment I suppose. BUT you only saw one THS game. There may have been some open receivers but I believe the Vikings strong point is putting unbelievable pressure on the quarterback. That really helps out your secondary when the quarterback doesn't have time to see the receivers and make the throws. Just ask Johnson County Austin Phipps and Sullivan Central Carl Roberts. They got several good looks at our defensive line UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL!! Also Sullivan North struggled with our D line. Both teams are talented and have great players. Our linebackers are also two of the best in the conference-one preseason all state and is a super player! It will come down to who puts the total package together. No blow out predictions coming from me for either side.

Just curious as to what South game you saw this year to compare anything from South to Johnson Co., central, and north. That's like comparing TN High to Sullivan East

I'll help you out a little. I've watched numerous South games and the TN High-North game so I've seen both teams even though TN High obviously wasn't at full strength. TN High will have to keep South honest. We saw what happened with North when South plays a team that can't throw the ball. They didnt' even make it to the 50 yard line. South needs Clint Phillips back this week, hope he is ok. Very very hard to run up the middle against South with two of the best linebackers in the conference. If TN High can't keep South honest with the pass, the corners move up and it's going to be tough sledding on the outside as well. If they can pass, Shepard should be able to get some big gains with his speed. I think the North game was the first game back for Tallman. He's a load to bring down. As for Tn High stopping South, I said after the North game that if TN High doesn't get better defending the pass then South will put 40 or more on them. there were wide open receivers all over the field that night. South has 3 receivers that all can catch the ball. Then you have Fletcher and Taylor in the backfield along with Davenport who all 3 can run the ball. It's pick your poison. Injuries will play a part of this both ways. I'm not sure if TN High still has anyone out due to injury and I don't know about the status of Hunter Beedle or Clint Phillips. Hopefully all will be healthy so nobody could pull the injury card after the game. Either way, I think this game is for homefield advantage in the quarterfinals of the playoffs if Jordan Greenway is kicked off of the team.

w1ldcat, thanks for helping me out a little. I've seen a few THS games (the good, the bad and the ugly) but have not seen any South games. Just by sheer number of points they put on the board every game there is no doubt that they have a high powered O. Still not sure just how good the Viking O is, I suspect that they are pretty good and getting better. What you said about being a balanced attack is right on. For THS to be successful they have to keep South honest with the pass, a point I was making in my original post but it seemed to offend smart-a-tothecore and the other smart-a-tothecore, rebelrebelman. It also seemed to offend those brilliant football minds that I felt like that another key for THS success was pressure on the QB and solid secondary play, a point that you also made. Thanks for your perspective w1ldcat. Looking foward to a hard fought game, hope there are no injuries for either team, and pulling for the Vikes.

w1ldcat, thanks for helping me out a little. I've seen a few THS games (the good, the bad and the ugly) but have not seen any South games. Just by sheer number of points they put on the board every game there is no doubt that they have a high powered O. Still not sure just how good the Viking O is, I suspect that they are pretty good and getting better. What you said about being a balanced attack is right on. For THS to be successful they have to keep South honest with the pass, a point I was making in my original post but it seemed to offend smart-a-tothecore and the other smart-a-tothecore, rebelrebelman. It also seemed to offend those brilliant football minds that I felt like that another key for THS success was pressure on the QB and solid secondary play, a point that you also made. Thanks for your perspective w1ldcat. Looking foward to a hard fought game, hope there are no injuries for either team, and pulling for the Vikes.

It seems that South's coaching staff have made great adjustments this season when the starters have actually had to play the second half. I believe we were only up 14-12 against Greeneville and won 35-20. Only up on North 14-0 and won 48-0. Only up on Betsy 17-7 and won 44-14. I have said that Stubbs has outcoached Carter in 05 and 07 but yet South still won. I was even hollering from the stands last year for the fake punt because I knew he didn't want to give the ball back to Phillips and Co. at that point of the game. If it wasn't for Davenport staying on the field last week and spiking the ball before the half, we wouldn't have gotten the field goal. Carter was calling for the field goal team to go on the field with 5 seconds when the clock was going to begin to run at the ref's whistle. Carter did outcoach Stubbs in 06 going from the spread to the 3 back formation. You can't play these games not to lose. You have to play to win. How is your kickoff coverage and return team by the way?

Just curious as to what South game you saw this year to compare anything from South to Johnson Co., central, and north. That's like comparing TN High to Sullivan East

I haven't seen South this year so I can't really compare them at all to anyone. I know they're a strong, high offense team. When you think about it, every game is different so comparing a team to how they did against one to how they will do against another really doesn't work. Remembering they are just kids is difficult sometimes.

In all seriousness with all trash talking aside..this viking team has had its back against the wall for the better part of the season with 7-8-9-and even 10 starters out at times with injury for most of the season ..until the north game then we got back a couple, then a couple the next week until finally ..now we are as healthy as we are going(still 3 out for the season but ..hey thats football) to get in the past two weeks.

These young men should be proud of what they have done..some with very little experience have filled in when called on and have bowed there back and still managed to win ,though not pretty at times. But a win is still a win.

Stubbs and crew.. if there was an award for coaching staff of the year you guys should get it hands down, for the job they have done holding this team together and making them and us believe.When some of us (including me) started to write them off early in the season.

So comparing THS early games like science hill(with Howard going down we had 9-10 out that game) or east to the Betsy or central or J.C. game is like Cap said two different teams.

I have seen allot of big scores predicted for south..so were does that come from? we are not central or east!You of all teams should know that.

You had better come expecting to see a game similar to last year..with it coming down to the wire. And yes i respect souths program, Carter and Co. have done a great job building it. I mean heck ..when we went out last year i went to all your playoff games including Maryville..and with a little more discipline on D you could have beaten them.

This is going to be a war NO DOUBT!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Good luck to all

It seems that South's coaching staff have made great adjustments this season when the starters have actually had to play the second half. I believe we were only up 14-12 against Greeneville and won 35-20. Only up on North 14-0 and won 48-0. Only up on Betsy 17-7 and won 44-14. I have said that Stubbs has outcoached Carter in 05 and 07 but yet South still won. I was even hollering from the stands last year for the fake punt because I knew he didn't want to give the ball back to Phillips and Co. at that point of the game. If it wasn't for Davenport staying on the field last week and spiking the ball before the half, we wouldn't have gotten the field goal. Carter was calling for the field goal team to go on the field with 5 seconds when the clock was going to begin to run at the ref's whistle. Carter did outcoach Stubbs in 06 going from the spread to the 3 back formation. You can't play these games not to lose. You have to play to win. How is your kickoff coverage and return team by the way?

Can't really comment on past years games here W1ldcat as this is my first year back from a few years away. And like I said I havent seen South play this year. As far as the Stubbs-Carter matchup, it will be interesting. I know there has been some critism of Stubbs and Co. some this year for playcalling, but I aint so sure that its more like Stubbs is smart like a fox. He has seemed to pull another tool out of the toolbox each game. Special teams for the Vikes seems to be pretty solid. No significant returns on the coverage teams that I can remember. We did have a ko return for td last week against Central. How about yours?

Oh, I'm sorry, smartass. Didn't know that describing keys to a win would bring out your "smartassothecore" brilliance. By the way, I didn't describe the perfect game as much as you did. I have a question, do you think "the rebel offensive line will play well and dominate?" Do you think that your "run defense stops THS cold?" and do you think your "pass defense covers every reciever on every play?" If you don't---then THS wins. WOW!! Is that what you call profound?

Now that's not nice using profanity!!! But in response--"By the way, I didn't describe the perfect game as much as you did"--that was the whole entire point of my response---I was doing just the very same thing you were doing, describing the perfect game and then saying--If we can do all this, we'll win"---well, go figure. It don't take a football analyst to come up with that analysis, Dumbas_to the core.

Face it guy, rebeltothecore destroyed you. You named off a bunch of obvious "keys" to winning games. You can't highlight questionable areas on your team and say "if they step up." His reply to yours was hilarious. Why can't you laugh like everybody else? Take him out to a nice steak dinner or something to make up for it.

I guess he can't take a joke--- /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Can't really comment on past years games here W1ldcat as this is my first year back from a few years away. And like I said I havent seen South play this year. As far as the Stubbs-Carter matchup, it will be interesting. I know there has been some critism of Stubbs and Co. some this year for playcalling, but I aint so sure that its more like Stubbs is smart like a fox. He has seemed to pull another tool out of the toolbox each game. Special teams for the Vikes seems to be pretty solid. No significant returns on the coverage teams that I can remember. We did have a ko return for td last week against Central. How about yours?

well, we haven't punted enough to really tell you about that part of our game. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> As far as kickoff coverage, if last week was any indication as to how this week will go, we are in trouble. I have no idea what is up with our kickoff coverage but it was horrible. Betsy had to average starting at their own 40 or 45 for the entire game. Anyone have any details on this?