Riverdale

Lost Old Dad

what happened with smithson? He was highly touted at the beginning of the season...also ebalaroza is a pretty good player I think he could play defense in collge at least for an OVC team...we had him at fullback but i think he was a better LB I know he is undersized BUT he can hit with good speed

Smithson did not play well his senior year, not a very hard worker, and one of the guys who was over rated at first. The college scouts see through the hype pretty quickly. If Ebalaroza was taller he could play. His height kills him for the next level although he was a very, very good high school player.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smithson did not play well his senior year, not a very hard worker, and one of the guys who was over rated at first. The college scouts see through the hype pretty quickly. If Ebalaroza was taller he could play. His height kills him for the next level although he was a very, very good high school player.

yeah i thought his height would keep him in austin peay or martin level maybbe Tech or even lambuth but i guess i was wrong

if you are good enough and have the grades to qualify...colleges will find you...even if you go 0-10...i think you know this LOD...the eye in the sky don't lie...

the level of talent it takes to play at the next level was down at riverdale this year...that was very apparent during the season and now...up's and downs is the way of high school football...but as oakland showed...you don't have to have college talent to win big in high school...they won it all and i don't think they even had a D1-A or D1-AA committ...but they did have a bunch of very good h.s. football players...and they were very big...and a couple of juniors who are BIG TIME RECRUITS...like mcadoo...

your next DC has been chosen for months now...do a little research and you'll know...and he has a great track record of very good defenses

just my opinion for free...it might serve riverdale well if there was a little encouragement for the coaches and the boys on the team coming from the riverdale coach T posters

Yes, I agree Oakland did not have what most deem as 'superior' talent. What they DID have is what we used to have, and that thing is top notch coaches that did more with less than most have seen around here lately. No, Oakland was not blessed with a stable full of thoughbreds with God given talent, they won by working HARD and learning the techniques they lacked before the season started. This is the sign of top notch coaches!

This is what really GOOD coaches do, they teach techniques the kids do not already know.

Bounder, Thank You for the invite, but you already know I like OR and support them except when they play R'dale. I answered PBD because I respect him and his opinion as he is a true fan and NOT some other Metro Coach trying to defend his job or kissing up to take pictures to SELL!

And for those who doubt, yes I DO support R'dale and really want them to succeed. It is NOT the kids fault they are not winning. Yes we had some fumbles early in the season and that is not their fault either as they were NOT taught how to defend the ball like they used to be. This goes back directly to their practice and scrimmages, or lack there of. Before we KNEW who could and WOULD hold on to the ball or they were on the BENCH!

As to who the next DC is I have NO idea. I just hope they are picked for their knowledge and NOT because they are a friend or another Metro refugee!

Now it WOULD be nice to see the FIRST 6A gold ball for Tennessee in the R'dale trophy case!

That is what is expected. Now it is for the coaches and players to put it there!

Although I dont know near as much about him as other folks, I was fairly dissapointed in Smithson. I expected something much different than what I saw when Oakland faced off against Riverdale.

Yes, I agree Oakland did not have what most deem as 'superior' talent. What they DID have is what we used to have, and that thing is top notch coaches that did more with less than most have seen around here lately. No, Oakland was not blessed with a stable full of thoughbreds with God given talent, they won by working HARD and learning the techniques they lacked before the season started. This is the sign of top notch coaches!

This is what really GOOD coaches do, they teach techniques the kids do not already know.

Bounder, Thank You for the invite, but you already know I like OR and support them except when they play R'dale. I answered PBD because I respect him and his opinion as he is a true fan and NOT some other Metro Coach trying to defend his job or kissing up to take pictures to SELL!

And for those who doubt, yes I DO support R'dale and really want them to succeed. It is NOT the kids fault they are not winning. Yes we had some fumbles early in the season and that is not their fault either as they were NOT taught how to defend the ball like they used to be. This goes back directly to their practice and scrimmages, or lack there of. Before we KNEW who could and WOULD hold on to the ball or they were on the BENCH!

As to who the next DC is I have NO idea. I just hope they are picked for their knowledge and NOT because they are a friend or another Metro refugee!

Now it WOULD be nice to see the FIRST 6A gold ball for Tennessee in the R'dale trophy case!

That is what is expected. Now it is for the coaches and players to put it there!

LOD, I do agree that Oakland has superior coaching. But, them kids went undefeated as 9th graders and handled even the mighty Riverdale with Rankin there (2005). Now, if Riverdale at the time (2005) had the better of the coaching staffs, why did they get beat by a inferior coaching staff at Oakland at that time(2005). Because after all, Riverdale from 1991-2005 had the best coaching staff that got less with more. Oakland had better players period.

You sound as though metro coaches are not good coaches. You trash Coach A and the program in general when you say that you will support Riverdale but not go to any games. You are what most would call a fair weather fan. First of all there are many coaches in metro that do a good job and are even better men. Blade from Hillsboro has done a terrific job with the burros. He took over right where Coach A left off. Brunetti does a good job at Pearl Cohn. Both fo these two have had a lot of success. Others in metro do not get the credit that they deserve simply because they have not won gold balls. Woodward from Antioch, Anderson from Overton ( who by the way beat your Warriors the first year that Rankin came to Riverdale, Anderson was at Antioch at the time), Thompson at Maplewood, and Campbell at HuntersLane all do a great job with what they have. What you are starting to see though is that Rutherford Co. is slowly becoming more and more like metro in some ways because the talent is being spread out more evenly. Back in Riverdale's glory days Murfreesboro only had Riverdale and Oakland. Now you have Riverdale, Oakland, Blackman, Siegel, and soon to be Stewarts Creek and Rockvale. Dont you see that now the talent isnt there like it used to be. Now of course there is still talent but not as much. Rankin was smart enough to see this coming so he got out. Face it Riverdale is going to be competitive but winning gold balls and creating a dynasty is going to be much more challenging that what it was five years ago much less ten years ago.

Riverdale fans give Coach A time. He is a good coach and will get the job done. Nolan knows this and he knows he made the right choice for the athletes. If the athletes can not hang through the rough times then maybe they didnt fall too far from the tree, right old dad. What kind of lesson are you teaching young kids today when you give up support simply because you do not agree with the man in charge and what he does. With your attitude you are saying hey if you dont like your boss then just dont go in on days that he or she will be there. Thats not how the real world works. You have also said that you will go to away games. Thats kind of like a slap in the face to Riverdale. By paying that money at the gate and concession stand you are in turn supporting Riverdale's opponents. Great lessons there too for the kids.

You and Swami and others have gone back and forth on this subject. How about you either show full support of Coach A and Riverdale, you go to all of Riverdale's games that you can make, you focus on the positives of the program and the kids, and you lift up you supposed team. While you are at it why dont you also stop bashing people period. Stop bashing Coach A, the Riverdale program in general, and metro coaches. Or keep doing what you are doing and keep losing respect as a person. You probably dont care about respect and you probably still have the respect of many. But for some of us you have definatley lost your respect.

Best of luck to Coach A and Riverdale in the future. Hopefully the true fans will stick by your side and hopefully you will return to the top of Rutherford Co. You have a great example in Oakland who struggled a few years and returned to the top this past year. Im sure the fans that stuck by were glad that they did and they should be proud of their team.

This metro invasion to come on here and bash the Riverdale kids and fans seems pretty odd.

I'll say it again. I saw most of the games, most of the scimmages, and several practices. It is NOT just the kids. There are enough players at Riverdale to be successful.

A bunch of "coaches" coming on here fo bash the Riverdale players is just pretty low...regardless of how good of friends you are with Coach A. That is not the solution. Expect mediocrity and if you get something better be happy?

I'm not saying that anybody is not a good person..I'm sure they are. I'm saying we got a very substandard coaching job last year. Hopefully it will improve this year.

Have we hired a d-coordinator yet?

This metro invasion to come on here and bash the Riverdale kids and fans seems pretty odd.

I'll say it again. I saw most of the games, most of the scimmages, and several practices. It is NOT just the kids. There are enough players at Riverdale to be successful.

A bunch of "coaches" coming on here fo bash the Riverdale players is just pretty low...regardless of how good of friends you are with Coach A. That is not the solution. Expect mediocrity and if you get something better be happy?

I'm not saying that anybody is not a good person..I'm sure they are. I'm saying we got a very substandard coaching job last year. Hopefully it will improve this year.

Have we hired a d-coordinator yet?

I have bashed no "fans." I have bashed a few that claim to be fans, but obviously are not. I have bashed no kids. Saying talent is down is a fact, not an insult. Could they be better,yep. Maybe if their coach was supported and believed in they would work a little harder. But many of you planted little seeds of doubt on here. And those seeds almost always sprout in difficult times and during big plays. All of the sudden, there is just enough lost confidence in a play call and that tiny hesitation changes the play's outcome

There are enough players at Riverdale to be successful? Thats your measuring stick? Enough? You only put 11 on the field at a time. Just like the other team. A lot of times this past season, the other teams 11 was better than R'Dales.

You keep claiming substandard coaching. What a crock. Talent can't hide in todays cutthroat world of college recruiting. R'Dales talent was down. The entire college football coaching world just proved that to be true.

Get over it. Aydelot didnt breed them. He coached them. And did a pretty good job considering all the bull he had to put up with and fight through from so called "fans."

Move on. Aydelot is the coach. Your whinning and moaning didnt change that. Try supporting, not bashing, and see if R'Dale gets better. Maybe it wont, because THE TALENT IS DOWN. But at least you wont look like a whinny horses behind, the kids will have more or a reason to work hard, and maybe college coaches will take a chance on kids raised by you. Do you really think a college coach wants a kid raised by a griping, excuse making, complaining parents? Oh right, just like kids and hs coaches, college coaches and scouts dont get one here and read these posts.

I dont know whether its sand or backside, but some of you guys heads are buried deep in something.