Greatest Rivalries in Tennessee?

92Dragon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order for it to really be a "Great" rivalry IMO, it seems to me that both teams need to have some wins against the other in recent memory. If the same team wins year after year, it may still be a great game to go watch, but I personally wouldn't consider it one of the greatest rivalries in TN. Additionally, I think year in / year out, both teams should be a contender to make a run in the playoffs. I think some of the games mentioned fall short in one of these two categories. I can't wait to see Alcoa knock off Maryville, but the history to the best of my knowledge is pretty one sided over the last 10 years or so at least (correct me if I'm wrong.) Same thing with Oak Ridge vs. Clinton. While Clinton got the best of OR last year, historically that game has really only been a rivalry to Clinton as OR has pretty well had their way with them.

On the other hand, Oak Ridge vs. Dobyns Bennett has been incredible over the years. Both home fields have a tremendous, big program feel, and the atmosphere at those games feels like a championship. It has been very common for these 2 teams to meet in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. Routinely, who ever wins the regular season game has lost to the other in the playoffs. The two teams are usually pretty evenly matched, and both have great traditions and community support. There are lots of great games and great rivalries out there, but I submit that Oak Ridge vs. Dobyns Bennett over the years has been one of top rivalry games in TN HS football.

Spoken like a true Wildcat sheep.... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

True /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , but what are you doing in Charleston? Are you gonna be at the Alcoa / CAK game this year?

True /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , but what are you doing in Charleston? Are you gonna be at the Alcoa / CAK game this year?

Yea......APB......who's bringing the BBQ? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

In order for it to really be a "Great" rivalry IMO, it seems to me that both teams need to have some wins against the other in recent memory. If the same team wins year after year, it may still be a great game to go watch, but I personally wouldn't consider it one of the greatest rivalries in TN. Additionally, I think year in / year out, both teams should be a contender to make a run in the playoffs. I think some of the games mentioned fall short in one of these two categories. I can't wait to see Alcoa knock off Maryville, but the history to the best of my knowledge is pretty one sided over the last 10 years or so at least (correct me if I'm wrong.) Same thing with Oak Ridge vs. Clinton. While Clinton got the best of OR last year, historically that game has really only been a rivalry to Clinton as OR has pretty well had their way with them.

On the other hand, Oak Ridge vs. Dobyns Bennett has been incredible over the years. Both home fields have a tremendous, big program feel, and the atmosphere at those games feels like a championship. It has been very common for these 2 teams to meet in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. Routinely, who ever wins the regular season game has lost to the other in the playoffs. The two teams are usually pretty evenly matched, and both have great traditions and community support. There are lots of great games and great rivalries out there, but I submit that Oak Ridge vs. Dobyns Bennett over the years has been one of top rivalry games in TN HS football.

How about when one team is 40-0 against their rivals?

How about when one team is 40-0 against their rivals?

You gotta give props to the Patriots though 04, they keep showing up year after year! Will it EVER happen? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />