1A Playoffs. TSSAA got it wrong.

croz6110

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloudland and Coalfield are automatic qualifiers and they are seeded before wildcard teams. That's why Coalfield and Cloudland are higher seeds.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. There's absolutley no logic in that seeding process, as evident in this case. They need to set the Quad's then seed the teams accordingly. It shouldn't matter if you win your district or if you are a wild card team, you should be seeded by record/strength of schedule. You could have a team win a weak district and have a terrible record and wild card team from a tough district that has a good record. Just something to talk about.

Before you go down that road. Think of it this way. Coalfield is 3-7 and Sunbright is 5-5, BUT Coalfield BEAT Sunbright. Plus, the only reason Sunbright is 5-5 is because they schedule non-conference games like North Greene (0-10,) Red Boiling Springs (2-8,) and King's Academy. While Coalfield is playing non-conference games like Rockwood (8-2,) Tellico Plains (7-3,) and Bledsoe County (8-2.)

Just saying...

Cloudland and Coalfield are automatic qualifiers and they are seeded before wildcard teams. That's why Coalfield and Cloudland are higher seeds.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. There's absolutley no logic in that seeding process, as evident in this case. They need to set the Quad's then seed the teams accordingly. It shouldn't matter if you win your district or if you are a wild card team, you should be seeded by record/strength of schedule. You could have a team win a weak district and have a terrible record and wild card team from a tough district that has a good record. Just something to talk about.

Before you go down that road. Think of it this way. Coalfield is 3-7 and Sunbright is 5-5, BUT Coalfield BEAT Sunbright. Plus, the only reason Sunbright is 5-5 is because they schedule non-conference games like North Greene (0-10,) Red Boiling Springs (2-8,) and King's Academy. While Coalfield is playing non-conference games like Rockwood (8-2,) Tellico Plains (7-3,) and Bledsoe County (8-2.)

Just saying...

I know what you're saying. I'd like it if TSSAA said here is the format, but you have to be .500 or better to make it. If that leaves 14 teams so be it. Seed 14 teams and go from there. I love schools like Coalfield and Cloudland, but I wish there wasn't so many teams rewarded for mediocrity. It's like 6-6 teams in college football playing in bowl games. (Granted I'll still watch two 6-6 teams playing in a bowl game).

I know what you're saying. I'd like it if TSSAA said here is the format, but you have to be .500 or better to make it. If that leaves 14 teams so be it. Seed 14 teams and go from there. I love schools like Coalfield and Cloudland, but I wish there wasn't so many teams rewarded for mediocrity. It's like 6-6 teams in college football playing in bowl games. (Granted I'll still watch two 6-6 teams playing in a bowl game).

So what your saying is basically "lets reward teams that play schools like Lancaster Christian and TN School for the Deaf and Macon Road Academy and Tri-Cities Christian???

Look at it this way. This is Class 1A. It is at the BOTTOM of the food chain. You are going to have some good teams with 4-6 losses just because they man up and play bigger schools around them. And you're going to have some teams with 5-6 wins because they play Muffin teams to pad their record and so they don't get beat up every week by bigger, more physical teams. Thats just the way it is.

And, even worse, how does Clay Co. get left out of the playoffs, TSSAA's website has them as an automatic qualifier if Friendship beat Monterey, and they did. Clay Co. finished second of the 1A teams in Region 4. They should be in.

Actually, Monterey did finish higher than Clay County in the district. The posted possibilities were wrong.

I just don't a team with a losing record should be in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda agree with you.

But who's going to give Cloudland the $$$$ to travel far away?? I mean they play the only 1A team within 3 HOURS of them!!! The only choice they have is to play schools, 2, 3 even 4 times their size, which are naturally going to beat them more often than not..

So teams like that should have no shot at the play-offs because of their goegraphical location????????