Can the Wing T win a title

diggerdog

Did Mt. Juliet run the wing when they won state last? Don't remember the year but it was in the 90's at Vanderbilt (Clinic Bowl). They Played in the highest class at that time in 3A. Not a Golden Bear but seems this was a wing-t offense.
Mt Juliet has never won or played for the state title. I think you are confused.

Your correct after looking it up it was 1998 and it was Hendersonville not Mt. J.. They were the runner up to Oakland. Dang man time flys by,that makes me fill old.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Germantown won the 2003 5A championship running the wishbone.

Yes they did running behind an O-line that was HUGE! Them boys looked like they should have been at Oklahoma running it. Young men also had beards that were better than mine at the time! :thumb:

Man for man that was the largest O-line I have ever seen outside of Texas in high school.

We had some beef that year, and so did 97' Munford team that Riverdale beat in finals. The largest high school line I've ever seen belongs to this years Olive Branch team with 3 players over 6'6" and 300+ lbs.

I personally think this is a silly question. Yes, the wing-t is an offense but I believe the coordinator's philosophy dictates more than the system. I suppose what I am getting at here is who has the magic key that says a wing-t team can't throw? Most don't throw a lot for one of two reasons... 1) either they have a lot of success running the ball, or 2) the are running the wing-t due to no having the personnel to run a spread. That being said, I believe you can run the wing-t and throw very successfully out of it, given the right athletes. Also, who says what is considered "wing-t" or not. Does the wing have to be only belly, speed sweep, buck sweep, etc.? Mid-line and veer can be added easily as can power, iso and several other "non wing-t" plays. You can also impliment a westcoast style passing game quite easily, as in theory you have your best athletes on the field already. You could also have three wide look, without changing the formation much at all. Or who says you can't throw 30-40 percent of the time (or more), being a wing-t team?

I believe it truly comes down to the coordinator's philosphy (as in being one dimensional) and do you have the athletes to win a championship.

All that said, I would like to believe what you are really asking is, can a one-dimensional team that is run based win at the highest level. Is the wing-t any different than the "I" if you run it 90 percent of the time?

Cleveland won 3 titles in a row in 5a running the wing-t in the mid 90's.

Vurry true couch qb...And knot takin' ennythang away frum Benny.....Butt ewe give me Dante Hickey, tha Cobb twins and thair line and ewe could run tha Nilter Daim Box and let three Korean wimmen frum tha House Ov Mannycures coach 'em and win a Stait Champeenship!!!!!!!........... :D

The wing T wins plenty of state titles....They may not be in TN, but the wing T has won plently of titles in states that have much tougher H.S. football teams than TN...Look at schools in Georgia and Florida(where HS football is much more competitive): Lowndes Co., Camden Co. (both are national powerhouses!), Riverdale (Miami), and many many more!!! Its not about Xs and Os, its about Jimmys and Joes!

Didn't someone state that while the wing t didn't win a state title, overall teams that use it have a better winning percentage vs other teams? I think someone mentioned this around this time last year.

Almost doesn't count, unless you are winning the gold ball then no one cares about your winning percentage, the Wing-T is garbage.

I think some great points have been made on both sides. The originator of the wing t tubby raymond wrote a book called the theory of football. In his book one of the main reasons he developed and went to the wing t is to have an easier ability to throw the football. If you look at the reason he ran the wing t and the logic behind it the offense will transform. With this said I do not like the wing t but respect it as a scheme and many of the great practitioners of it. I think one of the reasons the wing t gets a bad rap is because many schools that run it are not very good so some misdirections and motions can help out quite a bit. Also alot of schools do not have a great back and I mean great. In the wingt one can have three good backs to run the ball with and the qb is a possible fourth. Schools like Riverdale who in the past had unstoppable backs like Ralph King simply line up in the I and give it to their playmaker 25 times. I think all offenses have to do both throw and run to be succesful. Yes in the spread I think you must be able to run the ball at least efficiently. In my humble opinion all offenses get to the same thing just simply in their own way. An offenes can really do three things, stretch a team horizontally, vertically, or run over the defense. An offense can stretch a team with a variety of tactics: passes, jets, sweeps, screens, reverses, deep passes, crossing routes etc. In the end the goal of the offense is to score enough points to win the game. So midline in the wing t is the same midline as in the spread or double Tight wishbone and four verticals is the same four verticals in the double wing as it is in empty formations in the spread. A few other points of the wing t are with the different motions and fakes the linebackers must play responsibility football. The wing gives the offense great blocking angles to the outside. Also the wing t forces teams to play alot of cover 3 so the vertical passing game should be their for the taking. Also its very hard to simulate the wing t in practice for a defense. In the end a coach should do what fits its personell and community best. Some schools are run schools and some are more of a passing school. If team wins then thats all that matters.

Cleveland won 3 titles in a row in 5a running the wing-t in the mid 90's.

Vurry true couch qb...And knot takin' ennythang away frum Benny.....Butt ewe give me Dante Hickey, tha Cobb twins and thair line and ewe could run tha Nilter Daim Box and let three Korean wimmen frum tha House Ov Mannycures coach 'em and win a Stait Champeenship!!!!!!!........... :roflol:

Don't forgit..stephon woods he wus purty good 2

The wing T could win a title the same as any other offense as long as you have the right coaching, players running it, a solid defense, and good special teams. What i'm getting at is it takes more than an offense (no matter what offense you run) I made a statement earlier in the year that my Bears wouldn't win state because of the defense. You give me a Riverdale, Oakland, or Whites Creek defense with the Wing T that MJ ran and I guarentee MJ wins state. Everyone had trouble stopping the MJ Wing T offense this year. We just didn't have a strong defense to compliment our high scoring offense.

The simple anwser is, not often IMO.

The reason I have this opinion is simple. These days the DE and LB are choosen because of speed these days. Most well coached defences would rather have speed at those positions rather than slower beef. With many DE/LB's that are faster than many running backs these days the WANG-T is too slow and won't fool a D for too long.